The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Hank Lee's Encyclopedia Of Silk Magic CD Version (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22406 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I finally got around to purchasing Rice's Encyclopedia Of Silk Magic on CD in Acrobat Portable Document Format (PDF) scanned and processed through Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software.

It is really sad that I have to report that this was scanned and processed by an OCR program in the early of developing that software. More disappointing was that the person or company that scanned the books, did not correct the many OCR words not recognized correctly. Thus we have missed spelled names and alternate words or just the wrong letters of the alphabet inserted.

Thus you cannot definitely who the proper credit for the idea and creation of the tricks contained therein.

All these strange and annoying errors upsetting to try to comprehend the names and words in the descriptions. All OCR programs have a correction process, true, it has to be done manually at the keyboard, but it can be done. Some of these errors can be corrected by putting sample pages through the learning process to recognize letters and symbols correctly. Yes, even this process takes a few hours, but in the end it is worth it.

Chapter 4, is really very poorly written and assembled. The drawings are not drawn by an established artist in the magic community. This makes the book look cheap compared to the other volumes. I did not see any outstanding silk effect being offered. There are some ideas presented by well known current magicians, but I would say, the person's offering them, really never used them in their performances. I did see one gimmick that Vito Lupo actually used and sold for a while in his new act.

All in all, this is okay if you want to glean routines and ideas from the pages.

The CD is way overpriced for the quality of the content and the process used in the creation of the PDF eBook material.

Poor Scanning, terrible OCR, and no editing makes this product hard to recommend at all. The only thing that may save it is that compared to the book form, it is more cost efficient when doing this comparison in total price.

I don't own any of the new reader pads, so I do not know if it will work with a device like the NOOK or Kindle. I would say it does not, as that process was not invented when these books were processed. I was really surprised that they did not even cut the book apart to scan it, as the lines across the top of the pages turn up, which is caused by not having the page against the glass on the scanner.

If one is looking for ideas or how some silk magic is done, and what methods are used, then this eBook would be good for research in that area. As in, a person wanted to know what was involve in the working of a Blendo for example. This would inform them of the necessary work to achieve the process.

Very poorly done, and why they have all those empty files on the disc is puzzling, any person who know anything about computers wold know they are not necessary to open the PDF books.

Why they did not include Adobe Acrobat Reader is also a puzzling, as Adobe willingly offers anyone to distribute the Read program for free. I know many people using computers do not know what the program is and where to download it for free. No "readme" file was included even to tell purchases how to open and read the files.

There you have it, take it for what is worth. This one definitely fits the saying, "You Cannot Tell A Book By It's Cover!"
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
We know that is disappointing. Years ago this was discussed here on The Magic Café.

Well over thirty years ago, my mentor Harold Rice, explained to me why there would never be a Volume 4 from Rice. Harold Rice was an Art Professor. He was also a perfectionist. Volumes 1-3 were hand lettered! He no longer had the capacity to do that to his satisfaction. He stuck to his word.

The efforts with scanning using OCR was indeed a failure with the hand lettered text. The last word I had on it (long ago) was that the scanned product was liquidated at $10/set and the best advice was to avoid it.

Of course, I believe in the Rice publications and Rice silk products. The real things are priceless!

Bob

PS --- Time does change some things. On page 8, Harold Rice recognizes China silk as the world's best. His silk used was from Japan. China silk was not legally available to Harold Rice in his day. That has changed as have the improvements in silk hems. The quality of the hems is critical in determining the quality of the product.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
If I'm remembering correctly, Frank Martineau, was the artist who hand lettered that entire set of -yes! now priceless books.

Thanks for your most detailed review, Bill. I am not "up" on all the technical jargon, but, I can understand and appreciate your efforts!

Right Bob! Harold was an absolute perfectionist. The last time that I saw him, was at the SAM convention in Philadelphia (The Legionnaires Disease convention). We had breakfast together. I bought a 6' Dragon (slightly irregular) for $12.50!!! I "went over" that silk, inch by inch, and could not find anything irregular. Harold was definitely a perfectionist!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22406 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, I heard that Martineau was an alcoholic, and that is why he lived in the trailer behind Rice's home. Seems there were some very talented drunks back in the old days. Goshman had his Devano Decks made by an Alcoholic and the Rings & Things metal products company (the original one) used some very skilled alcoholics, as who last I heard make the metal products for Ickle Pickle.

I only talked to Harold Rice once on the telephone. I ordered a color changing silk, and as is the case for some reason, the green had a yellow spot right in the middle. I was kind of set back, when Harold Rice told me it could not be because he personally inspects each silk before being sent.

I did not say anything but did return the silk for replacement. I felt like asking him if he checked the green side.

I have been reading the PDF Vol. 1 all night, and found whole sentences missing, and page art moved to the wrong page. This is because the OCR sends the file to a Word Processor and due to not recognizing the formatting, with pictures they get rearranged. Again this is a tedious process to correct.

I got this CD from the Wolfgang Wollet the person who owned Magic Hands in Germany. He purchased all the Hank Lee inventory, so it says on his new website.

Even with all the mistakes, I did get 3 new ideas from the pages.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
The CD-Rom version I have seems to be just fine. Not sure what all the hoopla is about.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22406 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The Hoopla is about all the pages, words, disarranged pages, and misspelling of important words.

Was yours by Hank Lee?
Mark Evans
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Mark Evans
I would like to know where yours came from as well as I am looking for ways to use, hide, produce, vanish silks, routines, etc...

When I watch someone like Peter Marvey I can only imagine where they are all coming from~! I wish I could convince Peter Marvey to create a video for sale to magicians and share some of his secrets. I would certainly appreciate that - Or Magician that is great at that would be nice. However, that being said, I cannot seem to find anything and I am a seasoned Googler.

So...if anyone has a clue please "spill the beans" of where to purchase such an item...DVD preferably but will look at print as well.

Thanks in advance!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22406 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Onewsy7, sounds like you want things given to you. All the knowledge I gained in magic has cost me hard earned cash. No one ever gave me anything but lies. So it cost me dearly to gain all the information I possess. Thus I can figure out, or can take a very close guess at an act like Peter Marvey's .

If you are a "seasoned Googler" I don't know why you need a place to obtain the CD, I have written all the information to locate and purchase a copy of your own. Read the above postings.

As far as Marvey's silk production, do some research on the Hank Ball, Slydini's use of the condom in the none traditional way. This will get you very close to Peter Marvey's silk production effect. For confetti, check out many Japanese silk productions. For the shake, that is Peter Marvey's own personal way of dealing with his silk productions.

With knowledge comes creativity, one can pull from a number of readily available sources and create something that looks new, but is not. Add your natural actions for you and you have something totally different.

In the end, copying someone else's material will not help you in any way.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Oneway7,

I'll have to agree with Bill. Unlike our President, many of us here believe in earning our way. Taking other people's property for nothing is theft.

As to the Rice Silk Encyclopedia, Bill's research here should be of value to you. The OCR version was so heavily flawed as to be not marketable. Get the real thing.

Enjoy your silk magic.

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Rice
View Profile
Regular user
Ruth Rice Crone
102 Posts

Profile of Rice
Volume 3, printed by Silk King Studios and Harold Rice still available at:

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rices%20Enc......agic.htm

Index to all three volumes,printed by Silk King Studios and Harold Rice still available at:

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Cross%20Ind......agic.htm
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
189 Posts

Profile of R Don
Francis Martineau was brash and he could alienate one person or a roomful of
people in seconds; but in the 35 or so years I knew him I do not recall
ever seeing him drunk.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22406 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-06-14 16:05, R Don wrote:
Francis Martineau was brash and he could alienate one person or a roomful of
people in seconds; but in the 35 or so years I knew him I do not recall
ever seeing him drunk.

That is good to hear, I only was told this by several people of the years. If is not true, then that is good, and I stand corrected.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
By all means get the index also. It has help generate a lot of ideas too!

Getting these books is just common sense for a pro magician.

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Thank you very much for this very valuable information Bill.

I was on my way to order the CD-ROM, as I thought it was a real bargain. But if whole sentences and credits are missing, I don't see why I should buy a less expensive "version".

Then I'll go for the books even if they're might be harder to get. At least everything is in there and nothing is missing.

I prefer quality and ethics over cheap,

Oliver.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Reading and posting on this thread, has reawakened my somewhat dormant interest in silk effects. Thanks Ruth, Bill and Bob for your comments!

I used a lot of silk effects in my school program. (Flash! Packed small, played big! great variety of effects possible, etc.!)

I had (foolishly) sold my set of Encylopedias a few years ago, when I retired from the road.

I've been mentoring several young fellows, who have a sincere interest. It helps to have the basic reference books!

This thread reminded me that old pal, Karrell Fox had sold most of his books before he died. THE ONLY BOOKS LEFT IN HIS LIBRARY, WERE THOSE AUTHORED BY HIMSELF...AND...TARBELL...AND...THE RICE ENCYCLOPEDIAS!!!

Another old buddy, recently decided to "thin out" his library. He had a set of Encyclopedias for sale! To use the old "sell line" that Svengali pitchmen have used for eons: "I nearly tore my underwear, getting out my wallet!"

Dick
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22406 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have purchased the book set twice in the early years of my interest of magic. Sold both sets at times, but as most of you who read this forum will note, I always have a need to return to them.

Maybe this experience will help others to see the value of these books, and if they acquire a set of these books, to hang onto them for future use.

I think the old saying fits here, "Nothing is needed until you throw it away."

The second set, Harold Rice autographed.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
After all these years in magic (52 of them!), Rice Volume 2 is here by my bed. I use it!

Bob Sanders
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Hey Dick...good to see you on here again!

I am performing on July 13th and using a great deal of what we discussed...will let you know how it all goes!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1814 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I have the hardbound print editions of all the Rice Encyclopedias, so I have no real need to get it on a CD. But Martineau's drawings were so good, I wonder if someone could learn the tricks and routines by "reading between the pictures." IIRC, the drawings for Volume 4 of the series were adapted from scans of Martineau's fantastic illustrations in the previous volumes. (It would help, of course, if someone using the CD has some experience already with silk magic.)

Back in the 60's, my mentor, Earl Edwards, sent Harold Rice a write up explaining his special fold for loading a 50-foot Rice streamer into a Grant Chink Can. That fold did not appear in Volume 4 that was produced by Mark Trimble. I'm curious as to whether Earl's write-up just got lost over the years. His streamer production looked like real magic coming out of that small can and stretching all the way across a stage! Fortunately I helped Earl and Donna fold that streamer on several occasions, and if I ever get around to writing my own book, I'll include the fold there with a credit to Earl.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22406 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sonny, Ruth Rice Crone has the material for Volume 4 that her father kept us on pins and needles waiting for the publication. Ruth told me she still has the material. I guess you could say, she is setting on it. Can't blame her really as so many dealers and manufactures have ripped the Rice material off, instead of respecting the Rice Estate.

Neil Foster told me he gave his Silk Cascade to Harold Rice for publication. I am sure there is a wealth of material in that pile.

It is my opinion, Ruth Crone should at least publish it in PDF format, so the material can be sold and the information get out to those generations that would find it very useful for their acts. Publication on paper or in books is so super expensive today.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Hank Lee's Encyclopedia Of Silk Magic CD Version (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL