The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Helping the Muscular Dystrophy Association (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I will admit I thought that Mike was considering doing this. I was, however, not criticizing Mike for the question but criticizing the act itself. There is one charitable organization that I support by doing free shows, fundraising, anything I can to help them. When I do raise money for them, no one knows that it is for them. I do my bit, and they get 100%, and no one is the wiser except them and me. Because I have this philosophy, perhaps I am blinded to the performing and advertising the fact that it is for a charity.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2008-12-08 22:10, Dynamike wrote:
If you gave 10% of your total to the Muscular Dystrophy Association weekly, do you think they will approve you to show their sign or wear their hat/shirt while performing? If a person ask if you work for them, tell the truth, "No, I donate a percentage to them."

Big corporations do this all the time.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24023 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you for the information, Bill.

I also want to thank the others who have a brain on this page. We need more guys like you in this world. It is a shame how some people get jealous just because a younger minority can do just as good as they can in little amount of time. I always laugh at them.
Quote:
On 2008-12-10 06:14, manal wrote:

Big corporations do this all the time.

Yes, it will help take care of taxes for my paid shows.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Big corporations also make sure the fact they donate is known by the public. It is displayed in their advertising, which would be like your shirt or sign.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24023 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Dave, I understand your statements. It would be better to see how it can be approved legally first of all so no trouble will occur. That is why I agree with Tom's suggestion. I am sure the association can give me the information I need, if I am truly interested. Mario, it seems like you are right about the 10% figure. It can always be changed to a different percentage in the future. Ken, Bill and Danny, I have given to associations too. I have also performed free at some associations. I enjoy doing it. I would not have thought about my taxes for my paid shows if you would not have brung up the corporations, Manal. That is a good idea. Bill, if my interest lets me go thru everything to get an approval, I agree with you, "Just do what you feel is right. The audience will let you know if you have made the right decision." Danny, thank you for stumping those criticizers off my back, I appreciate it. Especially thanks to you, Kozmo, if it was not for the picture, there will be more jealous criticizers on this page.

Credits: (in timing order)

Kozmo
Mario
Dave
Danny
Ken
Tom
Bill
Manal
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Profile of JohntheMagician
Ok I'll chime in my $.02 cents here.

I do a lot of charity gigs. Alot, most are non-paying gigs, why you ask... Not only is it good policy in my opinion, but I can work on new material, lots oh high end uppity ups attend these things, and its good PR, oh and Karma baby Karma.

I donate my time to them and they in turn provide me with some nice exposure and PR. Not to mention if you do a charity gig and get them to give you a reciept for what your services were worth its a tax deduction.

Just an FYI
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
<BR>____________________________________________
<BR>WWW.ILLUSIONDELUSION.COM
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
10% is a hugely generous sum for a street performer to donate. I believe the average American family donates 8% of their income to charity.

I don't know this for a fact, not being an administrator for any charity, but I would think that a charity would have absolutely no problem with a person displaying their logo who demonstratably donated 10% of their earnings to such a cause.

But as with any copyrighted or trademarked material you would probably need permission first.

***EDIT***

I just checked my facts and that number is actually closer to 2% of gross adjusted income according to the American Enterprise Institute...

So chill out, haters!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2008-12-11 15:24, JohntheMagician wrote:
...my time to them and they in turn provide me with some nice exposure and PR. Not to mention if you do a charity gig and get them to give you a reciept for what your services were worth its a tax deduction.

Just an FYI

That's NOT what my tax man told me. He is an "enrolled agent" with IRS so he is familiar with their little quirks. The only way to get the deduction is have the charity pay you (this must be reported as income) and then write out a check for the same amount (or more) back to them. That way your cancelled check is your proof of contribution. Otherwise the IRS can say that you inflated the price of the show just to give yourself a phony deduction.

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24023 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
John, don't listen to him. He does not know what he is talking about. That is why I never pay him any mind.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Hey Mike, feel free to disagree with me. When IRS sudenly calls and they are smiling because you thought YOU were smarter than them, well the penalties are back taxes, plus interest plus penalties of a minimum of 5% to a max of 50%.

No, I don't know what I'm talking about, I've only been paying taxes longer than you've been alive. I also don't waste people's time with ione line posts just to build my post count.

Paddy

Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
OH Yea Mike, I forgot. I like turtles.

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Mike:

Paddy is right about this one. ALL you can deduct from your taxes when you donate a show to charity is your actual expenses. This is shown in detail in several IRS publications.

So, if you donate 10% of your hat to a charity, you have to report 100% of your hat, and have a receipt from the charity that shows how much you have donated.

You can't just donate a show and deduct what you would have gotten paid for it.

Check with an "enrolled agent." Don't just assume that the fellow at the "tax service in a box" down at Wal-Mart is going to be able to tell you all the ins and outs of the tax game.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24023 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks, Bill. "It is not what you say, but how you say it". There are old people who still do not have that in their minds and still act childish. I like to read your post because of how you put things. Thanks again, Bill.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I like turtles!!

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24023 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I like the non-idiots.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2008-12-30 20:04, Dynamike wrote:
I like the non-idiots.

I have in the past always tried to give you correct information. I may word things harshly, but that is unintended. I have been a busker for 14 years and have made many mistakes which I learned from. I wass just trying to help you avoid those same errors. As long as you think I am an idiot, I promise I will go out of my way to never say anything that may help you again. Good luck, you'll need it.

Paddy

The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2114 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Look, there's no crime in any of this. The punter gets a good feeling in his heart, the busker gets a bigger hat, the MDA gets more money, and the patient gets more funding / research. No one's getting ripped here! Imagine if every busker in the US did this....I'm guessing the per anum contribution would be around $300,000 or more. Could you honestly say that it's BAD that the MDA is receiving that money? Would you walk up to a child in a wheelchair and tell him / her that there will be no extra funding because some people in a certain chat-room don't like the way it was raised?

BTW, I think I remember someone bringing up religion in an earlier post.....oh yeah, I can REALLY see that! When you get to the pearly gates & are asked why you deserve to be let in, say "I prevented money from reaching handicapped children!"

Now, as for the legalities of actually DOING this, the sticker can be bought at any MDA function or event (they usualy meet at the local Ronald-MacDonald house) and there's no law against displaying it. Since neither you, nor the sticker make any claim to actually work for or represent the MDA, there's no fruad, and as originaly posted, if asked you tell the truth "no, but I donate a portion of my earnings to them"

Man.....I'm STILL geeking out over the original attack on Mike. I promise you, if someone said that they donate 10% of their earnings to a charity, my first inclination would NOT be to call him 'sick'!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I believe you meant "per annum." That extra "n" makes a big difference in the meaning of the word.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
The original "attack" on Mike was because of the way he worded the question. It came across as he was asking "if I claim to give 10% will it increase my hat." That's how I understood it and that's why I came back the way I did.

Also, I was taught that like Maimonides, and several other scholars from all religious thoughts have written, that the highest form of giving is where the percipient does not know where the funds come from nor does the giver know who gets the funds. i.e. charity is best done secretly, not shouting to the world "LOOK AT ME!!"

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24023 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-12-31 01:01, The Mighty Fool wrote:
Look, there's no crime in any of this. The punter gets a good feeling in his heart, the busker gets a bigger hat, the MDA gets more money, and the patient gets more funding / research. No one's getting ripped here! Imagine if every busker in the US did this....I'm guessing the per anum contribution would be around $300,000 or more. Could you honestly say that it's BAD that the MDA is receiving that money? Would you walk up to a child in a wheelchair and tell him / her that there will be no extra funding because some people in a certain chat-room don't like the way it was raised?

BTW, I think I remember someone bringing up religion in an earlier post.....oh yeah, I can REALLY see that! When you get to the pearly gates & are asked why you deserve to be let in, say "I prevented money from reaching handicapped children!"

Now, as for the legalities of actually DOING this, the sticker can be bought at any MDA function or event (they usualy meet at the local Ronald-MacDonald house) and there's no law against displaying it. Since neither you, nor the sticker make any claim to actually work for or represent the MDA, there's no fruad, and as originaly posted, if asked you tell the truth "no, but I donate a portion of my earnings to them"

Man.....I'm STILL geeking out over the original attack on Mike. I promise you, if someone said that they donate 10% of their earnings to a charity, my first inclination would NOT be to call him 'sick'!

:applause: Smile Smile (standing ovation)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Helping the Muscular Dystrophy Association (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.92 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL