The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What to charge for BIG shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Hi there,

I have done many big shows in my career and I am still young (22) and I feel that I am undercharging my clients by a lot of $. I have been asked to put together a quote for two shows in a 300 seat theatre. The first show has already filled 150 seats as there will be a camp in there and the remaining seats are open to public. The second show is all public. I have nothing to do with the advertising or marketing. I just perform regardless of turnout and get paid. The theatre is taking resposibility. My problem is that, YES, I have performed in many theatres but work off a % more often. The show is for a MUNICIPALITY (ie. small town, [they are booking me, for the grand opening of the theatre)......I do not know what to charge them where I am not selling myself short but I hate overcharging and risk losing a client. They said they are selling tickets $8 kids - $10 adults..........

My thought was $2500 cdn. for two 80 Minute Shows ( Grand Illusions and all)

What do others recommend
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Zaam,

I have rented a number of theatres in Canada to perform in and it sounds like you are in the ballpark. If the theatre is owned by the municipality, they shouldn't balk at your request.

Typically, in Canada, renting a theatre for a performance costs anywhere from $750 to $1500 with exceptions in either direction.

On top of that, you may have to provide performance insurance, which again in Canada, can cost about $1000.00 (I have not found an underwriter here that will touch any policy below that cost for a premium.)

Advertising is very expensive as well. I have found that for a show to get adequate coverage (radio, newpapers, posters etc...) you can expect to pay upwards of $2000.00. Of course the theatre and municipality will usually get a break on their costs.

If they are selling tickets at $8 and $10 each for a 300 seat theatre with 2 sellouts, less comps, they will probably generate about $5000.00. Their costs are going to be the advertising, staff and extra utilities(they already own the theatre, therefore no rent and they should already have insurance). This should leave them enough to pay you your $2500 and still make a small profit. Consider also, that the municipality will have some sort of a budget to pay for your show already.

Bottom line, $2500 is not out of line and you should be able to ask and receive it.

Rob

p.s. tell them I'll do it for $2200 Smile (It's a joke!!! Good luck and enjoy! Rob)
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Because it is a municipality, they probably have a budget for the show and are looking to break even. IF, and that's a big if, they sell all 450 remaining seats at an average ticket price of $9, the means a gross potential $4050. If you calculate it at 65% of the house, a typical risk scenario, then we are talking about a gross potential revenue of $2632.50. In that case, asking $2500 seems reasonable. You might even be able to get a bit more, but remember, the house has to pay for advertising and tech staff.

Another possibility would be to sell them the first show show for $1500-$2000, and give them an option on the second show for $1000. They don't advertise the second show until the first one sells out. That way you reduce the theater's risk and avoid playing to two half houses. But then, it's probaly better for you to do the show twice for more money regardless of the audience size.

Oh yes, don't forget to get the rights to sell a little magic concession after the shows. The house typically get a small percentage 10-15%.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Ask what their budget is ... if it's enough, accept it.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
BOR at events like this can be a huge money maker so yes, ask if you can arrange that with them. Usually you can do pretty good at intermission and after the shows.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Just our own experiences here...
A house taking 10-15% for merch is far less than what we normally see. Usually it is 20-25%.

Also asking then what thier budget is....not likely. that's like asking "Hey, what is the absolute most you would pay for my act. OK, I'll take that". They are in business too. In our humble opinion, they will try to get you for as little as they can. They are asking you waht you charge, not offering you thier top dollar. that's not to say they are gonna cheat you out of good money. But why would they lay all thier cards on the table in the beginning?

Good luck with the negotiating and if you get it hope the show goes very well!!!

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Wow,

Thanks. I thought I was close but needed reassurance. Like I said I do a lot of work off % and this is different especially because its a municipality and I don't know if they are desperate for profit or want to provide for the community.

Thanks and more contributions are very welcome..

Thanks Again
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What to charge for BIG shows (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL