The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Spirit key ....any suggestions? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
I don't know where to post this, so I suppose that this is as good a place as any. I just recieved the spirit key, but when I did it, it was fairly obvious that I was moving my hand. are there any little tricks you guys have found the hides this fact even a little? any help would be appreciated. thanx!!
**--snap--**
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Uhhh, don't move your hand so much??

Seriously, you really don't have to move much at all. If it's visible, it's too much.

Balance the key where it almost flips on it's own, and without moving anything, just *think* it over. With some practice you're "psychomotor reflexes" will take over and the key will move, seemingly on it's own.

Read Richard Osterlind's ebooks for more.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:

Dave VanVranken revealed: Uhhh, don't move your hand so much??

Great!!! Answer of the week!!!!

The rest of it was good information too but the above part of the quote really got to me!!!

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Let me add this to Dave's post. Once you have figured out the correct position for your hand, muscle memory will do the rest. You will be able to get your hand into the correct position before putting the key in place.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
Bill is right. Also, you will be able to place the key in just the correct spot (without appearing to search for it!) and be ready to go "straight away". There should be no visible movement of the hand. Once you've got it, you've got it forever Smile

It's a great effect.
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
Thanx, guys, I finally got it, although my hand was cramping up by the end. I was focusing on tilting my hand, when I had to just position it right and put the key in the right place. thanx again!
**--snap--**
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Snap:
Here is a good simile.
If you place a coin in your hand, palm up, and wish to turn your hand palm down without using your fingers to go into a classic palm.

There is a “sweet spot” that is very hard to explain, but you know when you have it, even before you attempt turning over of your hand for the classic palm.

That is the same sort of “sweet spot” you will come to “remember” when you use the key.

Bob
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
Thanx, bob, I've been practicing for the last two days non-stop (it's regents week) and I see what you mean.
**--snap--**
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Did you get a key with the routine?

The only other thing you might consider is ditching the bright shiny new-looking key and getting a heavy old iron key in it's place (a bit of rust is good!). You'll easily find the sort of thing in a junk store or, as ever, on eBay.

A slightly heavier key will help a bit with the 'move', but that's not the only reason to change the key. The old key will give you more opportunities in your presentational story and it won't look like a prop. This will significantly strengthen the effect.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
That's a really good idea, taliesin, I'll definately do that. at the moment I tell a story of a church haunted by the ghost of an old lady, this would be more believable with an old key. will it work as well if I use a different key?
**--snap--**
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Yes, the basic technique will work just as well with any key.

Have a look round a few junk shops or garage sales and you're bound to find something. You won't have to pay much more than a couple of dollars for something suitable.

You want a nice long key that looks old - but not too rusty (don't want to get your hands filthy every time you perform).
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
I have altered quite a few old keys over the years. I always use an old key. The secret is to find one where the bow end is slightly heavier than the bit end -- or, file away some of the bit to reach this state. Most of the "dealer" keys have too much metal removed, and the key looks fake. Use an old key -- much better! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Spirit key ....any suggestions? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL