The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Johnny Carson... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1545 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I'm so surprised I haven't seen much at all on here regarding the passing of one of magic's great amateurs and fans, Johnny Carson.

I remember watching the Tonight Show just to see the magicians, but whether there was magic or not, Johnny was always a class act. Whether he was talking to Frank Sinatra, or some little old lady from St. Louis, everyone was treated with the same kindness and courtesy (could we take a lesson from that!).

However, the times I saw magicians on the tonight show will always stand out in my mind: Dean Dill, Brian Gillis, Michael Ammar, Doug Henning, and so many others...

Johnny was truly one of a kind, but he was also one of us...a magician.

And he'll be missed.

God Bless, Johnny.
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
I have to echo these sentiments.

Mr. Carson supported and loved the people in our craft to the nth degree.

As I am watching all of the news coverage on Johnny Carson's passing I keep seeing clips of the show that I have totally forgotten about over the years.

I forgot how funny this man was and I also forgot what it's like to laugh that way again.

God Bless You Mr. Carson.
May Your Family And Friends Receive Comfort...

...And May You Keep Everyone In Heaven Laughing Forever!!

Vincent Smile Smile Smile
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
I too echo these thoughts. My understanding is that Johnny Carson was not an amateur, but a professional magician, in his early youth. I saw one clip of him in the mid/late 1940s, and, boy, could he do a mean one handed card fan. Also, Ed McMahon just reminisced about Carson's well known dislike of parties - and I had read of this elsewhere. Apparently, he would go to a corner, and roll quarters, and practice vanishes. There was one clip on CNN a day or two ago, showing Johnny on the Tonight Show, doing a perfect French drop to vanish a coin, with a child guest.
Johnny Carson, like the Beatles, like The Professor, and other geniuses, belonged in that category of "There was him, and then there was everybody else."
kerpa
a/k/a Michael Miller
Chicago area
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
espresto
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of espresto
The Great Carsoni - how he loved magic. Don't forget that he had the Amazing Kreskin on his show 88 times! What a treat it was to watch him on the show. There never was nor will there be a late night entertainer like Johnny.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I mentioned Johnny here when he died, just a short while afterwards...But posted it in the card section but they reposted it in the Members in the news(?) section - It was called "What a card - Johnny Carson". Do a search, there were quite a few responses to it...And I also posted in the coin section first about it in regards to a video I had seen of Johnny Carson and Paul Gertner. Check here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=150

-MB
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Is there any video of Carson doing his magic routines?
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
WRandall
View Profile
Regular user
NYC, USA
121 Posts

Profile of WRandall
I've seen an old (late '70's, early 80's) 60 Minutes episode re-run on TV Land that shows Carson doing at least one card trick for Mike Wallace. I wish I could remember what trick it was (I think there was a Hindu shuffle involved). If you get TV Land, check out your local listings as they may be running it this week.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I saw the replay of Carson vanishing a coin for a child guest. First a French drop, then, I think, a shuttle pass. The eyes of the boy got bigger than the oversize glasses he was wearing. Then the boy asked how to make the coin *really* disappear. I don't know if he saw something, or just noticed that the same coin kept comming back. Without missing a beat, Carson replied: "Get married".

Oh if only I could be that quick when something goes wrong, or an akward question is asked about my presentation.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
347 Posts

Profile of The Cardfather
People magazine has a 1/4 page write up about the Great Carsoni with early photo with him holding a fan of cards. He must have been only about 18 years old when taken.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
[quote]On 2005-01-27 13:45, WRandall wrote:
I've seen an old (late '70's, early 80's) 60 Minutes episode re-run on TV Land that shows Carson doing at least one card trick for Mike Wallace. I wish I could remember what trick it was (I think there was a Hindu shuffle involved). If you get TV Land, check out your local listings as they may be running it this week.
[quote]I know the effect you are talking about and as I recall it is called "The Psychic Stop" It is in a book I have at home and if interested I could check it out this evening and get the title for you.The one bad thing about this effect is it is not 100% sure and you need an out.Otherwise it is great if you hit it.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Hey,

If you'd like to read the record of Johnny Carson's magic trick with the young spelling bee winner, check out my website where I have a complete transcript.

http://www.proximityillusions.com/carson.htm

CSR
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2005-01-27 11:30, cloneman wrote:
Is there any video of Carson doing his magic routines?

Jay Marshal <sp> has a sizable collection of Johnny Carson doing Magic (on film). I had the opportunity to see many of these at a TAOM convention back in the early 70,s.
Maybe they can come out on DVD someday. I would hate for these precious films to just fade away in some attic somewhere, the public would be cheated out of some great material.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Carson did a very nice cards to pocket impromptu one night on his show. I think the subject of magic came up, out came the cards and he launched into the routine. Randi has some great Carson stories.
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
This would probably be hard to locate, but I remember seeing the old Jack Benny Show in a rerun, that had Johnny Carson doing a short card manipulation routine.

I still remember it after all these years.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I remember seeing J.C. do the linking rings on a major TV special.

Posted: Mar 4, 2005 10:32pm
Oh, you can't just produce a DVD of someone like Carson. Their lawyers would be on you in a flash if you didn't pay a licencing fee.

For example, the folks that own the Ed Sullivan tapes are incredibly protective and EXPENSIVE.

Posted: Mar 8, 2005 7:17pm
At the Magic Castle Acadamy Awards show, they did a tribute to Johnny Carson and had some great video clips... the best was his three ring linking ring routine with Bob Hope!
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Johnny Carson... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL