The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » Twentieth Century Silk (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NINO
View Profile
New user
Lyons - France
10 Posts

Profile of NINO
Hello everybody

I'am doing a bit of historical research about Buatier de Kolta. He is considered as being one of the first ones to perform silk magic.

Does anyone known if he is the inventor of the Twentieth Century Silk ?

With such a name , this trick probably came up in the XIX th century, which matches De Kolta's life time...but still it is not enough to make it a good proof.

Thanks in advance.
You are what you eat ( Frank Zappa )
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I believe it was created by the owner of the Martinka magic shop..Frank Durcot. I can't recall why that sticks in my head but maybe it will jog someone else's memory. I think it was in the late 1920's.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
NINO
View Profile
New user
Lyons - France
10 Posts

Profile of NINO
Thanks a lot , Richard.
Craig Matsuoka
View Profile
Loyal user
Kailua, Hawaii
271 Posts

Profile of Craig Matsuoka
I believe Ducrot created "Blendo", not "Twentieth Century Silks".

However, if anyone has a verifiable source for that claim, I would be very interested in seeing it. There are others who believe that Frank Kennard invented it by 1903 (like Bart Whaley).

I haven't taken enough time to dig too deeply, but the oldest reference I could find for "Twentieth Century Silks" was a trick by Ellis Stanyon first published in Conjuring for Amateurs (1897). Stanyon later marketed a version through his MAGIC magazine (see November 1903, p.27).

The ad copy reads as follows:

Quote:
Latest Handkerchief Trick.

A green and a yellow silk handkerchief are produced, tied together by the corners and rolled up into a ball which is then placed in a glass tumbler held by one of the audience. A red handkerchief is now vanished and is eventually found tied between the green and yellow handkerchiefs in the glass.

Entirely new principle involved. absolutely no exchange of handkerchiefs. the green and yellow handkerchiefs, which you start with, are tied together, placed in glass and not exchanged. only two used, one green and one yellow. we also give you a new method for vanishing the red handkerchief. it will be found useful for any handkerchief trick.

Complete with new model vanisher and our finest quality pure silk handkerchiefs 16 in. square, each with a border in a colour forming most beautiful contrast.

Post free, price 11/6

The trick resurfaced in the January 1905 issue of Stanyon's MAGIC (p. 27) under the title "Twentieth Century Handkerchief Trick" (does that name sound familiar?) This time, Stanyon tips the full work which includes a visible vanish of the red silk from inside a glass tube. The article also mentions that the effect was being marketed in "cheaper inferior forms" by other dealers.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-01-30 10:06, NINO wrote:
Hello everybody

I'am doing a bit of historical research about Buatier de Kolta. He is considered as being one of the first ones to perform silk magic.

Does anyone known if he is the inventor of the Twentieth Century Silk ?

With such a name , this trick probably came up in the XIX th century, which matches De Kolta's life time...but still it is not enough to make it a good proof.

Thanks in advance.

While you are researching Buatier, take a look at some of the ideas he had about the use of spring flowers. Nobody these days gets it right.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
NINO
View Profile
New user
Lyons - France
10 Posts

Profile of NINO
Quote:
On 2005-02-11 01:33, Bill Palmer wrote:
... take a look at some of the ideas he had about the use of spring flowers. Nobody these days gets it right.

He used to produce 1000 pieces in one shot..It's hard to imagine how much time it took him to set them.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2005, hugmagic wrote:
I believe it was created by the owner of the Martinka magic shop..Frank Durcot. I can't recall why that sticks in my head but maybe it will jog someone else's memory. I think it was in the late 1920's.

I believe that you are correct. I don't remember where I read it. It may have been in "Magicol",the collectors' magazine. I think Frank Ducrot was on the cover, Also, Jay Marshall may have told me that it was invented by Frank.

I do know this! When I jerk out those two silks and the vanished rainbow is tied between them, it's a show stop laugh! --followed by a BIG MITT! In the elementary school show, it's next to closing. The only thing I do that can follow that, is the coin pail.

I'm tipping the complete routine in the book. It can run anywhere from three to five minutes, as needed. --And, it can be padded out for up to three more minutes.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
According to the GENII MagicPedia
http://geniimagazine.com/magicpedia/Frank_Ducrot
"Sometimes called Duke or Fritz, he was well known in the New York City magic scene.
In the late 1920's, when Otto Hornmann tired of the magic business, he sold his company to Ducrot, who kept the name as the Martinka-Hornmann Magic Co.
He is known for inventing the classic Twentieth Century Silk trick."

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Speaking of 20th century--Who was it who did the routine where a sock appears between the two silks and then he pulls up his pants leg and the vanished silk is tied around his ankle? George McCAthy's name pops into my mind but I'm not sure if he's the originator of that routine.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
There is an amusing story in the just published The Vernon Companion book about this effect. The Professor performed the 20th Century Silks when he worked the cruise ships sailing to and from South America in the early 1950s. He tried to make it more commercial by substituting that ubiquitous red silk for a lady's bra at the end. He tied the two silks together and had the lady volunteer stuff it into her cleavage. When the silks were pulled out, a bra was seen tied between the two silks. The loud reaction and laughter was all Vernon could have expected but he felt so embarrassed that he dropped the effect permanently.

Perhaps this was something more suitable for Senator Crandall.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I think the sock gag was Al DeLage.
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Sonny!
I knew George McAthy fairly well. It does sound like something he would do as "MANDROOP" the magician. He never mentioned it, though. I have all four of his "SMART" books, plus a mimeographed 8 1/2 "booklet" from the late '30s.

BTW, I'm fairly sure that it was Harold Taylor who passed along a simple method of loading the rainbow silk in his lecture (40 years ago) so that a gaffed silk was not needed.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » Twentieth Century Silk (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL