The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Blank silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pizzazz
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
108 Posts

Profile of Pizzazz
I have a black and white outline picture I want on a 36" silk for an effect I am working on. Can anyone tell me if you can buy a blank white silk (if so where) or should I go and buy the fabric? (If so what kind), and how do you suggest getting the outline on the silk. I thought about airbrush or somthing of that nature. Any and all feedback is helpful...Thanks
May all your days be "magic" days
NINO
View Profile
New user
Lyons - France
10 Posts

Profile of NINO
You should look for some kind of "Graphic art shop services" where they own a special ink jet plotter, designed to print on tissues. You provide them with the silk and a JPG file and they print it on.
You are what you eat ( Frank Zappa )
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
One of the experts in this is Richard Hughes. I am not sure if he will give you the details on how to do this but I know he does custom-made silks. Here is the link:

http://hughesmagic.com/

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Send me your what you are thinking of doing and I can give you a price on making if up.

It is not the easiest thing to do. But I have done different things to acheive the result based on the complexity of the design. There are some examples on the website.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
One of the nice things about keeping a blank silk available is that it is perfect to use for predictions in some mind reading acts!

(Richard writes on them! But he uses an "air" brush. And still does great work! "Air" guitars don't work that way.)

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
There are some great silk scarves available from:
http://www.outwestsaddlery.com/

They're not the flimsy magician's silks - these are great. The owners are also very helpful and reliable.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Pizzazz,

Don't forget that they'll sell Sharpie Pens to anybody! (Yes! Even magicians!) They work fine on silks.

I have a few I use.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Hobby shops have special felt tip pens for drawing on material/cloth. Just inquire at at good hobby shop or store. To get the best sharp lines, seek out a silk screen company. If you are going to roll or fold the silk, this would be the best method.

By blank silk I would imagine you are seeking a white silk. Contact Rice Magic that advertises in this forum. They sell high quality Japanese silks. To save on some money, she will sell you a 2nd. These have small imperfections they say. I purchased one and cannot find the so called imperfection. These silks are really white, not off color and dirty looking as many of the China and India imports.
eb02
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of eb02
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2005-03-30 23:07, wmhegbli wrote:
Hobby shops have special felt tip pens for drawing on material/cloth. Just inquire at at good hobby shop or store.

By blank silk I would imagine you are seeking a white silk. Contact Rice Magic that advertises in this forum. They sell high quality Japanese silks. To save on some money, she will sell you a 2nd. These have small imperfections they say. I purchased one and cannot find the so called imperfection. These silks are really white, not off color and dirty looking as many of the China and India imports.

I have tried the "hobby shop" pens. Therefore, I don't recommend them. Sharpies are better. They're even cheaper!

There is some truth to what Bill is telling you about silk. Natural silk, even from Japan, is not white. However, if you order a white silk, that is what you will get. Cotton and wool are not white either. It has to be processed to become white.

The solution is simple. Ask for white instead of natural!

The white silks I import are more opaque than many vendors' colored silks. It is a magician's edge.

Give it a try!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
You could try contacting Pegani in Denmark. He prints on silks. He is the guy who makes the TT streamers. http://www.pegani.dk
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2005-04-03 13:22, Vibono Magic wrote:
You could try contacting Pegani in Denmark. He prints on silks. He is the guy who makes the TT streamers.

Many manufacturers make the TT streams because they are made from scrap. The hem is the expensive part. When silks are cut from 90 cm wide cloth it leaves a long strip. This strip is usually 12" or 6" wide and 30 feet long. Therefore the alternative use is to make them into streamers. For the most part, streamers are by-products. (That does not keep them from being useful.)

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Blank silks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL