The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Hot Spots in Florida? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
222 Posts

Profile of bropaul
I'm the new kid on the block here in Southwestern Florida. I've spent most of my busking days on the West Coast and in Arizona. I'm now based in Punta Gorda, FL.

I've heard of Clearwater Pier and I plan to check it out next week. I've been to Key West and checked out that scene on Mallory Square. But there is a ton of great beaches and malls and marinas that face the West and should be having "Sunset Celebrations" themselves, but I'm not finding them.

Does anyone have the low down for this area?

Thanks in advance.
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
381 Posts

Profile of atucci
Bro Paul - not sure if this helps but during the winter months most Florida cities (of any decent size) have outdoor weekend art/craft shows. You'll find anywhere from a dozen to several dozen people displaying their wares. I often wondered if these shows organizer's wouldn't be agreeable to having a street performer working the grounds. Just a thought......
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Brother Paul. When you do the street sjows at festivals are you paid by the fest? Or do you just set up and entertain? If paid by the fest, how do you market to the committees?
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Zack
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Zack
Paddy,

I used to busk at street fairs all the time, I just showed up and passed the hat. They get free entertainment, so they don't complain. (Well actually, sometimes they do...but then you just deal with that)

Paul:

I've heard a lot about Key West.
TGENTLE
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, AL
86 Posts

Profile of TGENTLE
Paul,

I'm not a street performer, but my day job had me working Ft. Myers off and on for a couple of years. Near the end of my stint, I heard that street performers could sometimes be found at Bell Tower on Cleveland. Never saw anyone, but might be worth checking out. Also Siesta Key in Sarasota seems like a good place.

Good Luck,

Tom
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
If you find any good spots BroPaul, don't tell anyone else.

I am looking for a new off-season haunt, so just let me know the good spots eh? I have been working on your rope routine, with a few changes to fit my own abberant personality, so maybe we can tag team them down there sometime...

Anyway, I hope you do find some good working spots for yourself.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
381 Posts

Profile of atucci
Brother Paul - found this on performers.net forum http://www.performers.net/forums/showthr......did=3224 lists both east/west coast spots. Let me know if you decide on any east coast spots as I'd love to come and meet you.
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
222 Posts

Profile of bropaul
Hey guys... Thanks for the information. I'm heading West for the summer, but when I get back here next season I've got some research to do.

Bro David, stay in touch, I hope to be doing some lectures up in your area this year. May be we can get together and jam for a while.

atucci: Good link. I'm on it. I'll drop you a PM when I get things together here. I look forward to meeting you. As far as busking festivals... Go for it. I've busked a bunch of festivals and Arts & Crafts shows. Most of the time they just give you a badge or something and enjoy the free entertainment and you make some bucks. The ones that are willing to let you stay are also good leads for the next year. You can then hit them early and see how much they really liked you by asking for some dough per day and then pass the hat. They can be good.

TGENTLE: I'll check out the Bell Tower and see what's up.

Zack: I've been down to Key West. It's a good pitch but is really dog eat dog. I'll go back down next season and give them something to talk about. Besides the work Key West is just a cool place to hang.

Once again thanks for the help.
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Hey BroPaul, anytime you are coming to this area, just let me know.

We have extra room at the house, so if need a spot to hang, you can save some $, and it would be great to Jam with you.

I have added a few things to the Street Rope Routine (not that it needed it, but I needed to make it more mine..) that I bought from your site, and I love it. I especially like the fact that it doesn't eat rope, So you can do it all day long.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
222 Posts

Profile of bropaul
Glad you like it. It's a staple with me too. It's just small and I can do Sands Needleless Threading and to into it and finish with a ring on rope bit for the hat. It just works. I'll let you know if I get up your way and thanks for crash pad.

I'll keep you updated on any pitchs here in SW Florida.
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
R.T.
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of R.T.
BroPaul, if you go all the way down to Key West, why not just go to Miami (SOUTH) beach. Tons of people walking around, and I've NEVER seen a magician. People down there I think would be very interested in it.
bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
222 Posts

Profile of bropaul
R.T., I'll check it out, plus I understand the sites and sounds down there are great.
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
R.T.
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of R.T.
It is amazing.....always a lot of people around...espicially the "Strip" area. During the afternoon would probobly be the best time for you to perform. Just walk up and down the main street(Ocean), most people are on vacation, and in a great mood to see something new and diffrent. At night could be harder, because most people are just looking for members of the oppossite sex, and a stiff drink.

Good luck!!!!!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I worked at the first Florida Renaissance Festival when it was in Largo. It may still be going on, so you might try them. Also, St. Pete has "Buccaneer days," and Sarasota has some kind of street Faire.

Check out Ft. Lauderdale, as well.

If you ever get up to Orlando, give Bev Bergeron a call. Tell him you know me.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
R.T.
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of R.T.
That's the other thing....festivals. I would strongly reccommend you checking out two.

Keys-definitly check out Fantasy Fest....its wild and people will love you
Miami-Coconut Grove Art Fest is a must, besides performing Magic, you'll have a great time too.
Zack
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Zack
Paul: Yeah, I've heard terrible things about Key West in the winter. Apparently every busker in the US converges on it...thats why I've never been.

Coconut grove in Miami should be a natural...TONS of foot traffic there.
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
381 Posts

Profile of atucci
Okay if you're talking festivals, here's some to look into: Ft Lauderdale - Blue's festival (Oct); Winterfest (Dec); Las Olas Art Show (Feb); Pompano SeaFood Festival (Mar/Apr); Ft Lauderdale AirShow (Apr/May) - those are the major one's I remember. Miami - Calle Ocho (Mar?); Coconut Grove Art Festival (Jan) - there are others but this gives you an idea of what's available. Conservatively just about every weekend from mid-Oct to late April / early May there is sometime of cultural / art festival in the Miami-Dade/Ft Lauderdale area. That's not to mention South Beach and the Ft.Lauderdale Strip. Not sure what the laws are for busking outside of the festivals but google Visitors & Convention Bureau for initial contact as a starting place. For anyone out of state who's thinking of trying a winter down here, its not cheap. Hotel prices are at their peak during these months but its never cold and you get to work in a place most vacationers spend >$500 per day to visit.
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
222 Posts

Profile of bropaul
Hey Guys THANKS... Ya'll have given me a bunch of information to start the journey down here. I have found a bunch of festivals and a few street gigs to boot. I also found a marina bar/restaurant that gave me a home a couple of nights a week through the winter. It worked well and they want me back next winter. It's in Punta Gorda just North of Ft. Myers.

I'm off to Colorado Ren. Fest for June and July and then to the Minnesota Ren. Fest for August and September. Then that shoots me back to Florida in the fall. Lots of magic to do this summer and Danny Archer is taking over my lectures, so I'll let you know if I'm coming to your town and we can jam.

Once again, thanks for your thoughts and help on the Florida scene...
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Hot Spots in Florida? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL