The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » The finger-switching ring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tiberius magus
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of tiberius magus
I'm sure all of you are familiar with the slight Greg Wilson does(unsure as to who gets the original credit for it) where a ring switches visibly and instantaneously between two fingers held in a 'peace sign.' I'm interested to know if there have been any adaptations of this idea to expand it. I'm currently doing an expanded routine which includes having both fingers empty, then a ring appears on one of them, then switches to the other finger, and can be clearly seen for as long as you like rather than just a flash. For one, I would like to give credit to anyone who already does this, and for another I'm interested in seeing any work that's been done in this area, as obviously a zero prep, ungimmicked, fully impromptu routine like this one is the perfect anytime, anywhere miracle and I'd like to expand my routine as much as possible.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

sincerely,
tiberius magus
eb02
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of eb02
I am not sure if this the effect you are talking about but you should take a look at "Mercuring"
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=972
Eran
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Aldo has a nice version too.

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
U could check out Caston Quieto's Mysteries at a magic bar DVD. It has 2 impromptu ring effects that IMO is short, fast and strong.

cheerios
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
magicsteve99
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of magicsteve99
I'd say that Johnny Ace Palmer offers the best routine involving this effect. Check out his three video set or see him at the Magic Castle in Hollywood.
tiberius magus
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Thanks for the help. Mercuring is indeed a nice effect, but it's not truly impromptu. I'll definitely look into the work by Johnny Ace Palmer. I hear it's exactly what I'm looking for.

sincerely,
Tiberius Magus
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
This effect of Gregory Wilson is a part of the ring fright effect. Correct me if I'm wrong. It is ungimmicked and is taught in Ring Leader. Johnny Ace Palmer has his own ring routine which is beautiful.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
tiberius magus
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Yes, that's correct. I'm familiar with Gregory Wilson's routine, but I'm looking for more work with the same idea to expand and refine my routine. That's what I'm hoping Johnny Ace Palmer can provide me with.

sincerely,
Tiberius Magus
dlhoyt
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of dlhoyt
You should check out Garrett Thomas' effect, Ring Thing. A ring is removed from the ring finger and then magically thrown back on. It is stunning when seen in person! You can also find it on his video (the name escapes me right now).

Dale Hoyt
magiCAD
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle
166 Posts

Profile of magiCAD
Garrett Thomas' video is called "Any Questions?". I use Ring Thing all the time. It really blows people's minds. It's not really a borrowed ring effect, but that shouldn't steer you away from this. Can anyone give a description of Gaston's ring effects?
-Rich
David Deanie
View Profile
New user
Scotland
63 Posts

Profile of David Deanie
Another idea to look at is David Harkey and gold finger. Another take on the impromptu ring routines. I've just rediscovered this one-at first I thought it was a little unworkable- but now I often amuse myself with it! Just got to work on the angles!

I imagine you could work this principal in somewhere- transposition of the ring from one finger to the other hand...

just a thought!

David
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
I "third" the recommendation for Garrett Thomas' Ring Thing. I think it's exactly what you are looking for. It starts with the switching finger gag, like Wilson does, and then proceeds on to true magic. It's great, modern, and very entertaining.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » The finger-switching ring (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL