The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » To All you Guitar Players (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
The Isle Of Wight, England
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
Hi,

I have just started playing the guitar. I have an acoustic and I have managed to break the e string. How can I re string it? I cannot figure out how to do it. Nobody has told me. Also I have been told the strings need lowering. How do I do that?

Best,

Luke
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Is there a guitar shop close by where you are? That would be your best bet. Getting someone to change your strings and show you how would be inexpensive, and maybe they could lower your action too. It might be a truss rod issue or something else. Better not to screw with your action unless you're experienced, or it's a very cheap guitar! If you can't get help, then PM me at tabman@questx.com and I will try to help you via long distance email! If you want to check my music credentials, then go to http://flatwoodstudio.com. Just to make sure I wouldn't be misleading you, which is all too common these days! Good luck with it. I hope you get a lot of satisfaction from your musical venture.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Arrghh...the high E! Oh, the pain re-stringing your guitar ain't the hard part... tuning it is.

Johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
The Isle Of Wight, England
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
I know my guitar sounds so out of tune. That's how I broke the E, I twisted too hard.

Thanks very much tabman. I am sure there is somewhere nearby. I will do some looking around.

Thanks!

Luke
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Maybe that's why there are two E strings on a guitar? What confuses me is that the highest one is the lowest! And then there's that problem starting the count from the bottom as 1st string! (I always started lists at the top.) But they count frets that way too. Why did they start away from the guitar and then count the frets toward it? To me that's like getting directions from where you're going instead of where you are.

Yep! It's my instrument alright. Perfect Fit!

Good luck Luke!

I think there is a site on the Internet to help you tune a guitar. You do have to have a sound card.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Make sure you have the correct strings for your guitar. I purchased a guitar once that had a very bad bend in the neck because the guitar was a classical guitar made for catgut strings, and the idiot put steel strings on it because he wanted a real guitar with real strings, not a cheap toy with nylon strings.
Unfortunatly, it was going to cost too much to repair, so I just junked it out.
I was only out $5.00, so my loss was minimal.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
TGENTLE
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, AL
86 Posts

Profile of TGENTLE
Luke,
Like the Tabman said. Find a good music shop with a reputable luthier (guitar mechanic). Tell him you want to change out the strings (they probably all need changing anyhow) and to "lower the action". He'll know what to do. It'll cost you about $30 bucks. He'll be glad to show you how to change strings.

I love the guitar. Only one thing kept me from doing it professionally....
a complete absolute lack of talent.

Good luck..

Ackk!

I musta had a brain hiccup when I read Tab's message. Didn't realize I was repeating basically the same message over....lol. Then again, maybe that's where I got the idea.

I'm going back to the home now. Tonight is cherry Jello night.

tom
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Having played guitar for 26 years I learned the hard way that it's best to take it to a good repair person first. They can show you the correct way to change your strings. The strings needing to be lower could be either the neck or the bridge, or a combination of both. Again they will tell you.

Interesting fact for all you guitar players. When you want to tune your guitar just pick up the phone! The dial tone is an A note. You can tune your fifth string to it. Tune the others by the fifth fret method except for the B string which you use the fourth fret of the third or G string.

Anybody have some good guitar player jokes to share?
SOHartist
View Profile
Loyal user
Ft. Myers, Florida
211 Posts

Profile of SOHartist
Quote:
On 2005-02-26 08:18, dlcmagic wrote:
Having played guitar for 26 years I learned the hard way that it's best to take it to a good repair person first. They can show you the correct way to change your strings. The strings needing to be lower could be either the neck or the bridge, or a combination of both. Again they will tell you.

Interesting fact for all you guitar players. When you want to tune your guitar just pick up the phone! The dial tone is an A note. You can tune your fifth string to it. Tune the others by the fifth fret method except for the B string which you use the
fourth fret of the third or G string.

Anybody have some good guitar player jokes to share?

That's an awesome fact! Thanks for sharing.......can't wait to try to tune my guitar to the phone Smile
mistermudd
View Profile
New user
Lancaster, CA
98 Posts

Profile of mistermudd
Actually, not to sound anal, but that tone is a bit flat, I prefer a piano, or using a CD. But nevermind that...

How many guitar players does it take to screw in a lightbulb??

10 - One to screw it in and the rest to say "I can do that.".
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"
Cholly, by golly!
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Cholly, by golly!
Welcome to the guitar. It is a beautiful, versatile instrument that is as simple or complex as you choose to make it.

A few thoughts from a 20 yr plus guitar teacher:

Always remember that there is no right or wrong way to hold, tune, or play the guitar. Don't worry about rules or so-called classical technique. Don't be limited by other people's playing. If it sounds good, it is good. Find your own voice!

1. Wear the white belt.
2. Tune
3. Play.

Happy pickin'!!!
Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Profile of Scruffy the Clown
Since I am a guitar tech. I'll tell you how.
1. remove old string. I 'm assuming that the thinnest one is the one that broke. (Hi E note)
2. remove the appropriate bridge pin from the bridge. it's just pressed in, might require carefull prying, Notice that there is a groove milled into the bridge pin.
3. Carefully uncoil the new string, (Guage wise an .011 or a .012 single string is a good gauge for a high E.). Drop the ball end of the string into the bridge,and press the pin into bridge. make sure that the slot in the pin point ,toward the sound hole. Carefully, hold down on the pin and pull up on the string so that it seats itself against the plate inside the guitar.
4. turn the guitar key so that the hole in the tuning post is paralel with the notch in the nut (That's the little plastic thing that the string rests on at the top of the fretboard.) Thread the string though the hole in the post, and pull it reasonably taught.
5. Now, look at the string. you need to get at least three full wraps of string around the post. and it needs to be neat, and wind down toward the face of the headstock. if you pull the string taught, and allow about two inches of slack on the waste end of the string, push that two inches of slack back against the post, and then start winding the tuning key button Counterclockwise regardless of the side that the key is on if you wind it counterclockwise, it will end up going the right way.
6. keep tension on the string with your fingers untill it's close.
I ghope this helps. I can do this in about 20 seconds. It takes longer to try and explain it that it does to do it.

Now having said all that. Take it to a repair technician and have them take a look at it. NO doctor can make a diagnosisi without looking at it. Neither cana guitar tech. IF you can't find one PM me your location and I'll try and make a reccomendation for you.
Good luck, I hope this helps.
Scruffy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » To All you Guitar Players (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL