The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Card Shooting/Throwing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

musicalmagician622
View Profile
New user
Manlius, NY
76 Posts

Profile of musicalmagician622
I am having a little trouble with my long distance spinner. Can anyone help me out? I am not getting much distance yet, and I usually end up getting two or three cards instead of one. Does anyone have any tips?
Smile
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Try using one of those thumb tips which has a rough end to it. I can't remember the name though.

cheerios
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
Dizzy
View Profile
Elite user
UK
437 Posts

Profile of Dizzy
If you go to a stationary shop you can purchase rubber finger thimbles that people use for counting money, paper, etc. If you have Jeff McBride's dvds, he also explains the technique for card shooting there.

Dizzy

Just had a look at the dvds and it's on Jeff McBride's, 'Art of Card Manipulation', Volume 2. Also Rick Jay's, 'Cards as Weapons' is recommended, but it is out of print.

The 'Art of Card Throwing' by Rick Smith (Jr.) is supossed to be very good. He can throw a card 64 meters.

Dizzy
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
Try using half a deck for now, and try positioning your fingers that are holding the card further towards the center.

ollie
steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
Actually, I think its volume three. I have come across a few that have that kind of problem, all I say to them is to practice more. They get it eventually. The problem wasn't so much in their form, it was just that they were not making good contact on the back of the card with the flesh of their thumb.
magicguy45
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of magicguy45
All I can say is practice with about 2 or 3 cards. That might be from pressing down too hard, or your cards are sticking together. Get a wet cloth without soap and just sort of clean them.
Pekka
View Profile
Special user
Finland
560 Posts

Profile of Pekka
How long have you been doing it? It will take a while to get consistency and distance. In fact, for very good results it can take months. You need to build the muscles in your hands, get use to the grip and find the "knack".

Just keep doing it, the half deck idea is very good and helpful. The thumbtip suggestion is not so good, you will get the distance but you do not learn the proper way. You do not want to put the thumbtip on everytime you want to do the spinner. Besides, most likely you will expose the tip and then you are in trouble.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Quote:
On 2005-03-06 23:26, musicalmagician622 wrote:
I am having a little trouble with my long distance spinner... I usually end up getting two or three cards instead of one. Does anyone have any tips?

Lighten up. Literally. A light touch will make all the difference. People try to force the card to spin high and far. The resulting pressure forces multiple cards off the deck, and limits the distance. Try a lighter touch.

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
I got a lot out of The Art of Card Throwing DVD by Rick Smith Jr., but what he presents on the DVD is not the answer (I don't think) for your question. It's still a good DVD to own, with some good techniques for scaling. I would have to agree with the other members and say go with the small rubber thumbtips used for money counting, as they are very tacky and will allow that firm sliding grip needed to eject 1 card at a time. They're pretty cheap and they last forever.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
musicalmagician622
View Profile
New user
Manlius, NY
76 Posts

Thanks everyone! It's funny that you mention the art of card throwing. I use that as a half joke because my name is Art. I am now referred to as the Art of magic. lol

Ok yeah that was a really bad joke Smile
Smile
magicguy45
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of magicguy45
Bad joke but don't get custumed to using half of the deck because then wen you use a full deck it feels 10 times what you normaly practice with (trust me this problame has alredy hapend to me).
musicalmagician622
View Profile
New user
Manlius, NY
76 Posts

Ok well now I seem to have another problem. I don't know why I just noticed, but when I'm regularly throwing cards, they slice to the left with my right hand or to the right with my left. How can I fix this?
Smile
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
It sounds like basic aerodynamics to me. Not much you can do about it. Just learn to "lead" your target.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
I think it has to do with the angel at which you let go of your cards. try to do it in slow motion with a wrist snap, so the card actually stays in a straight line while its airborn. and then incorperate the arm movements into it
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
I had a lot of trouble when I started learning this move. I found it much easier if I turned the deck 90 degrees and pinched it by the short ends instead of the long ends. The added benefit was that I could get into this position one-handed from normal dealing grip, just by wrapping my pinky around the back of the deck and levering the left side up. Additionally, it's much easier to support the deck this way.

After I'd done it this way for a while, I had a lot less trouble with the regular handling. However, I still generally do it "my way" (I'm sure someone else has done this) since there's no get-ready. I wouldn't use the regular handling unless I was doing something like Greg Wilson's Boomerang Card of Death, which requires it.

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Give up the LDS if you have trouble with it. There are much better more effective shooting grips anyway.
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Whatever happened to good old-fashioned American "sticktoitivness"?
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Well, without showing off here now, I have made up my own way of spinning a card in the air, which no other magician does this way, as far as I know.
The long distance spinner is not my cup of tea as I found out quickly when I first did it a few years ago. The way I do it now looks much better. It is a bit harder though and requires a flicking move of your ring finger. I cannot describe it here in greater detail, but I just wanted to point out that there are other ways of spinning a card in the air than the long distance spinner.
NLewis
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of NLewis
Believe it or not, I would argue that the most important thing about doing the spinner is relaxing the shoulder. A tense shoulder makes everything else, and that's only a good thing on very, very, very rare occasions.
MagicGirl1536
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of MagicGirl1536
My card spinning, like yours used to be terrible. I really find, with ALL flourishes, sleights, moves etc. it's good to use half of the deck. I did this when I was learning the Charlier, card throwing/shooting, triple cut, square cut, pretty much all of my tricks. Half deck is actually a great thing to do. Maybe even start off with a quarter of the deck and build it up from there.
those who don't believe in magic won't find it- Roald Dahl
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Card Shooting/Throwing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL