The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Intimidated by other Magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Rik Taylor
View Profile
New user
Delaware
58 Posts

Profile of Rik Taylor
Don't be afraid, step up and talk to them. Most likely you will be treated well being you have so much in common. Most magicians are looking for somebody who can relate to them on a higher level, and understand what it takes to do what they do.
...less is not more, less is less you have to carry, more or less...
Richc98
View Profile
New user
Orange Park, Fl
71 Posts

Profile of Richc98
I find most magicians want to be helpful. I have talked to Lee Asher, Jay Skaney, Mr. Electric, Greg Wilson, Mark Mason, Fukai, Paul Green, Dan Sylvester, Dirk Losander, Danny Acher, John Calvert and others that have escaped my mind, but I have only found a couple that I would not talk to again. (even been to dinner with several of these guys, just by asking)

You will find if you are honset up front, "excuse me Mr. or Mrs, xxxxx I perform a little bit and I was wondering if I could ask you a question?" would be a good polite way to begin speaking with them.

Bottom-line, they are people too, just like you and I.
U.S. Army Retired Soldier for Life - SFC
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi,

Thanks Richc98 for including me in your list above. Great company!

I love talking about Magic--If anyone ever wants to chat, please intoduce yourself. I look forward to the conversation.

Regards,

Paul Green
Richc98
View Profile
New user
Orange Park, Fl
71 Posts

Profile of Richc98
See what I mean. Paul is one of those great guys I was talking about. We met at a magic convention and he has given me some great advice, plus he did an AWESOME lecture about performing, which can be applied to any style magic you perform.

See what can happens if you just ask?
U.S. Army Retired Soldier for Life - SFC
Nick B
View Profile
New user
London, England
59 Posts

Profile of Nick B
Hey Corey, I know just what you mean. In fact, when I started learning card magic, I was really intimidated by someone who I hardly knew grabbing my deck and doing multiple BP vanishes, loads of flourishes - and then he got his coins out and freaked everyone out with those, too! I felt pretty intimidated. But then he'd been doing magic for 12-15 years compared to my less-than-a-year (at that time) so of course he was going to be much better than me. However, he didn't mean to intimidate me - he wasn't playing the "Come on then Hotshot, show us what you you've got" number and actually offered me some help on a few moves - I get on well with him now and usually swap moves and stories when we meet.

I think it's good - for me, anyway - to practice as much as possible with people who are better than me. It helps me raise my game, so to speak. A bunch of friends are pro songwriters / musicians and I play a bit myself, for fun, not money! But whenever we jam together, I usually find myself playing licks I didn't know I could do, because of their skill, technique and encouragement rubbing off on me a little.

I really hope the same is true in magic - I met a magician who was performing at a function I was attending as a guest and I'll be meeting up with him soon to try and get the hang of the dreaded pass! I simply asked him for help and he agreed without even thinking about it.

Best wishes

Nick
Nick
Gary Kruse
View Profile
Regular user
Colorado Springs
146 Posts

Profile of Gary Kruse
Quote:
He is extremly nice and even pointed me to a good book and some good advice.

Corey,

What book did Jon recommend?
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Guy Hollingworths' "Drawing Room Deceptions"
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
Sup Corey. Heck no we are not jerks. Me jason and john are some of the nicest magi's you will find. We could care less about who it is and what material they bring to the table. As long as there cool with us and not having a big head or being a hater then we all get along. We love hanging out at conventions or around town chillin with everyone. Its a great time just jamming with anyone and everyone. We still need to get together and have a little jam session one of these days. I am very busy all the time but always try to find time to hang out. Jason did live far but now has moved into Kansas City. Me, you , john, and jason will have to kick it.

To Brandon Delgado

Sure I remember you. From school and the magic shop. I think I even saw you at my buddy Lee ashers lecture not to long ago. Thanks for the kind words. I miss the magic shop but now things are bigger and better for me. Sometimes I still wish I worked there just to hang out all day and practice and still get paid, hahah.

Either one of you can hit me up any time to hang out.

Best to all.....
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
trevcmagicman
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of trevcmagicman
Luckily for me, I live in a small town with a population of 18,000. My friend and I are the only magicians for about 50 miles in any direction. So everyone knows us where we live because they have all seen "those two kids next to Vons" or whatever. We have never actually seen another magician other than on T.V. So I'm never quite sure what to expect...
The magic of Trevor Crandall and Luke Vlassis. The magic men of Nipomo, California.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
When I first met Lester Lake (The Great Marvelo; inventor of the extended-blade chopper, giant guillotine, disecto, shredder and water-lu) in the mid-1970s, I said, "I've heard a lot about you."

He smiled back and replied, "Young man, when you get to be my age A LOT of people will have heard about you."

I liked that. Still do.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Jim Short
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of Jim Short
I met John Born at the IBM convention in Kansas City. He didn't know me from Adam. I walked up to him after seeing him compete in the close-up competition. We had a very nice conversation. (The only reason you might remember me at all, John, is that I had, and still periodically have, a very ugly knee brace due to a degenerative condition - that and because I talk like I write: like a nerd). John was very approachable and personable.

I've had similar conversations with Shoot Ogawa, Paul Harris, Troy Hooser, Brad Henderson, etc, etc,. My chops? Mediocre at best. My secret? I approach these people with openness and sincerety.

I suppose the secret to not being intimitated is to recognize there is nothing intimidating. I don't think Mssrs Dean, Born or Keppel carry ninja weapons. (However, approach Ricky Jay with caution if he has a card in his hand and there's a watermelon nearby...)

Sure, there are some twits in magic, as there are whenever there are people involved. But for the most part I've found magicians to be incredibly approachable, if incredibly quirky people. And if you run across one of the aforementioned twits? Their problem, not yours. Just avoid them in the future.
Was that meant to be edible?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
This reminds me of a story that Daryl told at a lecture he gave at Dallas earlier this week. (Yes, the real Daryl, not his other brother, Daryl). He was talking about being at a lecture by John Hamman and that John had explained a movement that Daryl didn't understand. Daryl felt embarrassed to ask questions about this move, especially with all the other, highly experienced, magicians present, all of whom sat there nodding like they understood everything.
Well Daryl finally decided that he really wanted to understand the move, so he swallowed his fear and pride and asked. Hamman went through it again. Daryl still didn't understand, so he asked more. Hamman brought Daryl up to the stage, sat him down next to him and proceeded to work him through the entire move until he understood it.
After the lecture all these "experienced" magicians came up to Daryl and asked "what has the move he was doing and how did he do it?"
The point Daryl was making was that the intimidation is all inside urself, and the only way you learn and grow is to admit what you are not and ask. Don't be put off by what appears to be the expertese of others, it is often false.
What comes to mind to me is the guy who sits at a lecture and mutters just loud enough to be heard by a few around him all sorts of criticisms of the moves being taught in the lecture. That is easy to do, but serves no purpose for anyone. When I hear such hubbub, I remind myself: "We are all here paying 50 bucks a pop to watch the lecturers moves, but I notice nobody is here paying 50 bucks a pop to watch the critics moves."
IMHO the sign of an real pro is that he is more than willing to admit what he doesn't know. So don't let the feeling that somebody will think ur not as good as they are keep you from learning and growing.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Ednigma
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Ednigma
I think that it's PATHETIC for people's sense of self-worth to be locked into a SLEIGHT. Some people have such low self-esteem, that they use magic as medication,because they KNOW secrets that the rest of the world doesn't, it VALIDATES them and makes them feel SPECIAL.
If your're humble enough, and SECURE as the person God made you to be that you can admit you DON'T KNOW something, don't feel bad...It's not your fault THEY aren't as secure as you.

I love magic with a passion,but always remember: If you get busted on a trick,LIFE GOES ON.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Right on, Ednigma. Life goes on. I was performing the McDonald's Aces last evening at a graduation party. One smart specatator turned over one of the gimmicked cards for this trick. So I was busted... But I didn't let that stop me from showing other tricks and people very soon forgot it. Granted I was doing magic for friends and family (and they are more forgiving than strangers) but even if it was a paid event, I just would have to smile and move on. What I learned from this is better audience management and always expect the unexpected.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Great point Evolve. Life does go on, careers go on. I sat at Lance Burton's show a couple of months ago, and the angle wasn't good on a couple of illusions, both my wife and I saw what was going on, but you know, Lance is still pulling in the big audience and the big bucks. There will always be jerks out there. There is always the guy who is going to know how it is done and either expose or sit there after ur done and explain it to everyone else. But that stops nothing. Just keep on keeping on. Great attitude Evolve!
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
DanielTyler
View Profile
New user
New York
95 Posts

Profile of DanielTyler
I've found in many areas of life that the people that love to learn, love to teach. These people would probably be delighted to meet you as you are to meet them. And those magicians that ARE jerks are far to disconnected from reality to be useful to you anyway. Think about it... do you really want to receive advice about magic from someone so unsocial?
- Daniel Tyler

www.tylermagic.com
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Thanks for all the replies guys. Since I started this post a few months ago, I have spoken to several local magicians. I have also joined the Local IBM. John Born and Jason Dean have been really cool with me, and have also been helping me out with some things. Chris, Any time you are available, hit me up. I always have time on my hands unless I'm wrestling.
Misty Lee
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Misty Lee
Corey, I'm so glad to see that your fears of approaching those you hold in high regard is being quelled. It's been my experience that the higher up they are and the more they know, the less insecure they are and more willing to teach/share they become. Best of luck to you, Corey - and congratulations!
http://www.mistylee.com

Whoever said the hand is quicker than the eye never tried rolling the two down a ramp.
MagicalArtist
View Profile
Veteran user
Hobart, Indiana
378 Posts

Profile of MagicalArtist
You're a professional wrestler so you're an expert on that, but magic is your hobby so you were a little intimidated by the "Big Boys" (in experience, not size)! LOL

I'm a basically shy introvert (and I made a topic this issue once,) but the simple fact is that magicians who are nice guys will be nice and those who are jerks will be jerks. Also I found that some magicians who are "nice guys" individually become jerks at conventions for some reason, so that is probably not the best place to get your feet wet!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Intimidated by other Magicians (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL