The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Close up pads (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Static
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Static
What do you guys use for close up pads? Has anyone made their own? If so, could you tell me what material? Thanks!
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
I bought a regular close-up pad at the store. I don't know who made it. I've heard that carpet samples make nice (if large) pads.
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
If I'm not mistaken Dean Dill makes some really sweet close-up mats/tables. Check out his website.....I think it's http://www.deandill.com
-Brian
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
226 Posts

Profile of pattrick
Check out my website for the finest in close up pads and custom made table, pads and boards. http://www.pmsmagic.com thank you, Pattrick Przysiecki
check out www.pattricksmagic.com for the best in close up pads and tables.
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
My favorite and most manageable close-up pad is now a rectangle of green felt, sold at fabric or craft stores, similar to the material used for card gaming tables or puzzle mats. It folds up even to fit in the front pocket of a pair of slacks or a jacket pocket, it smoothes out fine, it looks natural for cards, and it's cheap.

alan
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Depending upon your needs, carpet samples can make great closeup pads. I take a large pad and cut it in half to make two smaller pads. You can finish off the cut edge with some self-sticking carpet binding tape in a matching color. With just a little care the carpet pads should last a long time, but they're certainly inexpensive to replace. They also aren't fake-y looking, like some closeup pads -- it is what it appears to be, a piece of carpet.

The only problem with these carpet pads is that they really can't be folded in half and continue to look good. But then, most other pads can't be folded without creating a permanent crease in them, either. It could probably be rolled up, but that really isn't necessary. Since I use a small aluminum suitcase to travel with, I don't need to fold or roll the pad -- I just lay the pad flat on top of my stuff, close the case, and off I go. The pad also helps to keep my props from rattling around in transit. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
I second Dean Dills. I love it.

They might seem a bit on the pricy side, but you do have to pay a price for quality.
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Quote:
On 2005-08-04 22:52, Alan Wheeler wrote:
My favorite and most manageable close-up pad is now a rectangle of green felt, sold at fabric or craft stores, similar to the material used for card gaming tables or puzzle mats. It folds up even to fit in the front pocket of a pair of slacks or a jacket pocket, it smoothes out fine, it looks natural for cards, and it's cheap.

alan

How do you keep it from sliding around on the table?
Beezer109
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Beezer109
I bought the apollo pad. It is a very good investment and is actually washable in the washing machine
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think Dean Dill makes the best. Nice looking. Beautiful.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
JohnLamberti
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
420 Posts

Profile of JohnLamberti
3rd or 4th ditto here on the Dean Dill pads. They're the best. And he's a nice guy too!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Close up pads (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL