The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Routining (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicmoment
View Profile
New user
Down Under Australia
54 Posts

Profile of magicmoment
Hi there. I have been performing magic as a hobby for a number of years. I am now looking at performing professionally. I am finding it hard to put together a finely tuned routine. I guess you need some experience. I am looking at doing some restaurant work and some corporate walk around/close-up performances. The problem I have is I have acrued a fairly large repertoire over the years and everything I have performed privately has gotten such a good reaction from people that I don't know what to add or sacrifice when mending my routine. Please help, all those with experience in this field!!!
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
This has been discussed, I believe, in the "Table Hopping" area.

Basically, these types of routines should be short and include 2 or 3 effects that blend together in some way.
An example might be Color Changing Knives, Cut and Restored Cord followed by a short Finger Ring and Cord routine.
Another may be Ghost Bills, Crazy Man's Handcuffs and Traveling Cash.

Have about a half dozen of these 3 trick routines lastind about 5 minutes and you have a good start.
You will want quick resets and tricks that require no working surface, except the spectators hands.

Good Luck,
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Wow,
Quite a heady question for a new post. This is where the search function is so valuable at the Café. With thousands of magicians ranging from the new hobbyist to professionals, you will find invaluable data on this question topic and many others related to it. I suggest you spend some time browsing you will find it time well spent. Welcome.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Brad Lancaster
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Brad Lancaster
For general restaurant and walk-around purposes whittle your repertoire down to six effects. No matter how good of a response you have gotten on those six tricks in the past, the fact that you plan to perform them for a paying audience means that you need to relook at them. Begin by making sure that they are angle proof, can be executed technically without thought, scripted so you 'sound' professional, non-offensive for the particular venue,and are presented is a polished personable manner. Good luck and much success!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Routining (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL