The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » First Restaurant Gig! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Elmagic32
View Profile
New user
Dayton
11 Posts

Profile of Elmagic32
I'm doing my first gig at a Mexican Restaurant and wanted to know if anyone had any good ideas for my amigo's.

I've been practicing magic for about 5 years and have a lot of time and money invested. I'm actually starting lessons from a pro this week. I have until Cinco De Mayo to prepare.

I've done a lot of bar magic and some parties, but mainly friends and family. So I'm a little nervous. Everyone says I should be getting paid, so here it goes.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
I've never done this type of work ( just a hobbysit ), but have seen a few magicians in restaurants. One man did the linking rings while people were eating and it looked like he was interupting. I had someone do a sexually sugestive card trick for my date, so I'd avoid things like that.

An in the hands triumph ( instant reset ) would go over well. I do it for fun for people and everyone is always shocked when the deck goes back to the proper order.

Best of luck to you on your first gig.

J.
~Joe
apv
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of apv
Congratulations...I have been working 3 nights a week for the last 12 years at the same restaurant...my humble advice would be:

- Approach a table AFTER the orders have been taken and BEFORE dinner arrives.
- If dinner arrives during your set, conclude as fast as possible...they may be loving your magic, but they came to eat. Tell them if they would like to see more, you would be happy to do so after they finish their dinner.
- Unless explicitly asked, do not do magic once the bill is on the table...the restaurant would rather "turn" the table.
- If there is a wait at the door, perform there. Management loves that!
- Ask people their names and then make sure to say their names as much as possible. Not only do people love to hear their names, but doing so is one of the best ways to misdirect people.
- Make it clear with the wait staff that you are there to help them. My wait staff knows to call on me when there is a long wait for food or if there has been a screw up with an order.
- Respect peoples space. Start out a little away from the table. You will learn to guage their reaction as to how close you can get.
- If they offer you a tip, thank them and tell them you would rather they tell the manager that they enjoyed the magic. You may be giving up a couple of bucks, but extending your career.
- Treat the customers with respect.

Good luck to you,

Aaron
Elmagic32
View Profile
New user
Dayton
11 Posts

Profile of Elmagic32
Thanks for all the good tips. Knowing that stuff will come in handy.
This place has about 35 tables, how many tricks do you think I should prepare? You said if there is a wait at the door, do tricks for the people waiting. But what about the people who are eating and came there to eat just because there was going to be magic?
Do you know of any other tricks with a Mexican Centavo other than Scotch and Soda? Or the best routine with it? I know its simple but I thought I should work it in somewhere.
Thanks,
El
Magicman862
View Profile
Veteran user
Cincy, OH
385 Posts

Profile of Magicman862
Copper silver brass
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
A few good things to keep in mind at the beginning. It's not good to perform when food is on the table. Keep it to before, or after the meal. Also, you will need far less tricks than you think. I just did a 2 hr. strolling gig Saturday and did 3 tricks all night. For my regular restaurant gig, it's about 7 or 8. But that's because there are several regulars. However, just in case you should have an arsenal of things you can do with a regular deck, just a few coins etc.
Good luck!
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
I have been doing walk around table magic at Applebee's Restaurant. I would suggest if you are working a family restaurant make sure approach the tables with kids first. I always do this and families with kids never turn me down. Also while you are performing for these groups you will get an idea which of the surrounding tables are interested. Read Aaron's post again it is very good advice.

Walking Bob in Iowa
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » First Restaurant Gig! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL