The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Method for Transforming a Silk? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I am looking for a good method to transform my misprinted Thank You silk, into the correctly printed version, but I don't want to use a change bag because I am already using the change bag earlier in the show for my mismade flag routine. Also, the Thank You silk is too big to use a Dye Tube with or a TT. Can you guys recommend another way to transform one silk to another?
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Rice Silks used sell a device called PALMO which is like a dye tube for 18" silks.
I believe it's now sold by Duane Laflin or contact Silk King Studios who advertise on this forum.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Mirror glass/tube?
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Danny:

Laflin Magic sells an item called the "Switch Can" that is used to switch silks. It's quite clever and might be exactly what you're looking for. Their website is http://www.laflinmagic.com

Hope this helps you.

Ron
Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Smoke & Mirrors
Silk Cabby also...
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I am in the processing of making up some mirrored switch tubes. They will be about 3" in diameter and about 18" long. Contact me if you need more information.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Hi Danny,

Ya know, I was having this same conversation today as I bought a change bag. I was watching John Zander's kid show DVD and he uses a change bag I think three times in his show, and you know what? It worked. I couldn't believe it, but it moved along okay, and it really did not seem to detract from the merriment of the moment for the audience.

I think the reason he was able to pull it off was audience participation. Each time he made the change he had a kid doing it, and each time the routine with the kid was so different the fact that the prop was the same mattered very little.

I was super impressed with this guys show, and his thinking behind it.

All of that being said, I think a mirror glass would do the trick for you if you don't want to use the change bag. I used to use it for my card silk switch and it works a treat. Smile

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
markofmagic
View Profile
Elite user
480 Posts

Profile of markofmagic
I use a hank ball without the string. I load the final silk into the hank ball. Then I pick up the hank ball under cover of the first silk and display it then move the hank ball over into the other hand and push the silk into the hank ball. You sort of push it into a circular motion which rotates the other silk to the top so the one you want to finish with is now on top and you display it and steal away the hank ball.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Hello all,

This is a question on a method I saw at our fellowship about 2 years ago. I should have asked for construction then but did not get a chance.

Effect was the blank card silk transformed to silk with chosen card. Apparatus was a sheet of thin cardboard, shown all around -- I think it had a decorated edge. The blank silk was laid on the paper, paper was rolled I believe. When unrolled silk was transformed. Paper shown on all sides in act of unrolling.

I suspect the cardboard may be gimmicked a la Grant's "temple screen."
IIRC, the effect was quite convincing. The cardboard appeared innocent, no obvious "seams" The silk was laid out on top of the cardboard openly. So no pocket.

I've searched conjuringarchive, all of my Hoffmann books, and other classics with no luck discovering something similar.

If anyone can point to a book or other source I would be grateful!

TIA
Phil
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2021, docguitarman wrote:

Effect was the blank card silk transformed to silk with chosen card. Apparatus was a sheet of thin cardboard, shown all around -- I think it had a decorated edge. The blank silk was laid on the paper, paper was rolled I believe. When unrolled silk was transformed. Paper shown on all sides in act of unrolling.

I suspect the cardboard may be gimmicked a la Grant's "temple screen."
IIRC, the effect was quite convincing. The cardboard appeared innocent, no obvious "seams" The silk was laid out on top of the cardboard openly. So no pocket.

Hi Phil -

It almost sounds like you are describing a Massal Tube, because you talk about the cardboard being rolled.

There are several versions.

Here's one (this link has a video): https://laflinmagicstore.com/products/ve......archment

And another: https://laflinmagicstore.com/products/gi......e5&_ss=r

But it doesn't work with the silk lying flat on the cardboard surface. It's poked into the tube.

- Donald

P.S. Another thought. If it really was a piece of cardboard that laid flat, and had another piece folded over on it (like a book... and not rolled up), it might have been something that worked like a Himber Wallet. But I don't think I've ever seen someone do a silk change that way.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Thank you Donald!

The Massal tube looks great. Perhaps that was it! My recollection could be wrong. Thanks for the links also!

Phil
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
An elastic pull should work, combined with a bare hand silk production.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Personally, I would use the basic John Booth Blendo method. It is simplest method for instantaneous transformation of silk(s). There is a tutorial at http://davidginmagic.com/. Just click on Free Mini Classes.

Depending on how the misprinted Thank You silk comes into play in your act (eg you produce it from box or simply pick it up from table or out of pocket) you could have corners of the two tied together and do the Neil Foster variation. No s****s, no gimmicks, completely self contained.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I think that Frank meant to post this link to David Ginn's website:

https://www.ginnmagic.org/

Thankfully, David Ginn bought other website names with misspellings, so Frank's link still re-directs you to the correct site (at this time). But it's best to know the correct link.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2021, Donald Dunphy wrote:
I think that Frank meant to post this link to David Ginn's website:

https://www.ginnmagic.org/

Thankfully, David Ginn bought other website names with misspellings, so Frank's link still re-directs you to the correct site (at this time). But it's best to know the correct link.

- Donald

Indeed I did. Thank you for correcting!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Method for Transforming a Silk? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL