The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Starting "Project Magic" or "Healing of Magic" (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Harris wrote:

"Ring 129 has a very active healing of magic group.

Please go to our website at

http://www.ring129.com ..."
---------------
Dear Harris,

Thanks for the link to Ring 129's Healing Magic page.

Very impressed.

Congratulations for running such a successful program.

Did you use Copperfield's Project Magic as a framework/reference or other (addiitonal) doucmentation?

Perhaps I missed the link to documentation on the Healing of Magic Program. If so, could you kindly priovide it?

Many thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
sugam
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
175 Posts

Profile of sugam
Quote:
On 2005-05-30 14:03, magicguy72 wrote:
Just one more thing: We have a wonderful relationship with the I.B.M. and are thankful for the hundreds of magicians around the world who are coordinating the Healing of Magic program through the efforts of the Brotherhood.

These magicians offer their services to hospitals THROUGH therapists. I stress in every presentation I make to magicians that this is NOT a performance for you. AND you are are not practicing or treating patients. In order to "practice" medicine, you must be adequately trained and educated, licensed and insured.

THANKS!

Well said! Thanks for taking the time to give input into this thread at the Café.

Jonathan I see a link to Healing of Magic at the left menu of the IBM ring 129 site.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Perfect. I will check this link out.

Many thanks.
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
JasonbytheOcean
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, D.C.
102 Posts

Profile of JasonbytheOcean
I think MagicGuy72's views on magic therapy mirror my own pretty well. I also used to be a volunteer EMT-B (actually part of what got me interested in magic therapy, but that's another story), and there are significant differences between being a member of a volunteer squad and a paid paramedic/firefighter. Better to keep this as a volunteer opportunity.

That said, there's an angle here which hasn't been raised yet, which is that performing at hospitals can help improve your performance for paid gigs. I get "flight time" each time I perform at the hospital which has been invaluable training and experience. It gave me the confidence to start pursuing paid gigs, and I have the opportunity to try out new routines and see what works and what doesn't. Definitely beats asking my friends if I can show them my latest routine, and I have the added advantage of a guaranteed friendly audience to practice in front of and really refine my performance. I know, I know, you're supposed to practice in front of a mirror before going to the audience stage, and I do, but I just find that I perform differently the first few times I work with an audience regardless. Many of the pieces in the Spencers' and Copperfield's books are also commercial-quality with the right development (okay, not all, I admit I like the wand stuck to the hand piece, but it just doesn't work enough for me to use in public too often, though I have some great stories about it - works well enough for hospital use, though). In particular, Copperfield does teach Professor's Nightmare, one of my favorites, and I have developed a great routine on the Spencers' Coin-through-Silk and vanishing knot. There are some limitation on practicing, however - I never use a mouth coil in the hospital, for example.

Since I work with patients of all ages, I've also had the chance to really study and learn what works for different audiences. Reading or talking about it with other magicians just does not equal the opportunity of solid practice practice practice! I have also incorporated ideas from the patients into my own routines. Sometimes, discussing story ideas and a trick with a patient also seems to have therapeutic benefit, since they're brought into that "inner circle" of magicians which is perceived as a place that's hard to get into.

Of course, once you get to know the hospital staff, there's also the likelihood that you can get great testimonials!

I still hold the view that performing in hospitals needs to be based on the foundation that you want to help others, but hey, side benefits are always a nice perk!
gerryc
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of gerryc
Pretty old thread. I am thinking about doing this at my local hospital. Is there much of a group still doing it to bounce ideas off, any listserves?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Starting "Project Magic" or "Healing of Magic" (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL