The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Sit or Stand for Kids at restaurant Tables? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Whenever possible, I sit across from children or (restaurant permitting) use a chair at the end of a table if the table is a bit full. It seems to be a lot less intimidating for kids and shortens the “get acquainted) time.

Most of my experience with children has been in classrooms and birthday parties in homes. Even there I have found that kids seem more comfortable if I am at eye level.

No doubt there are those that prefer to stand. And there may well be good reason to do so. What do you think?

Bob
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I stand always and introduce myself as the magician - it's usually met very well. I was working downtown at Downeys Bob, now I'm going to be at Applebees because the owner always tried to avoid paying at the end of the night and still owes me $200. He always wanted me to stay longer but didn't want to pay at the end of the night. I had to track him down....but ANYWAY. I always stand. I feel that it can be seen as intruding sitting down here in Phila. In Chicago it may be the standard. At a restaurant, you're blocking pathways for waiters/waitresses by sitting at a table...plus management doesn't want to see you sitting. You have to be ready to move and a moment's notice if the food comes.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I'm there to entertain the customers, promote the Restaurant, make money and meet chicks. If I have to do somethinbg for kids I do a coin flurry ending with a jumbo coin. The Sponges I save for the ladies ( don't need food on them ).

Stand and move on!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Twistedace:
The work you do with coins would be very hard to do sitting, you are one of the best I have ever seen. You do some of the best sleving I have ever seen, it would be impossible sitting at a table.

I have seen you (in the shop) work with kids and you were great. I remember that you bend down for them, and that always helps the “friendliness factor) your work with the Jumbo Chinese Coins is great for kids.

Sorry to hear about the Irish Bar problem. That place is so dark for me to see in, I’m surprised people can see you work at some of the tables.

It’s funny, before I started loosing my sight, I never gave lighting a thought. Now it’s all I think about for the few gigs I do.

I just told a mother that I need to look at the living room to see what I can bring with me for a birthday show. In reality, I need to see the lighting.

I hope your Dad has had a chance to see you work at a bar/restaurant.

Bob
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
I NEVER sit when performing.
First of all, you have to have a chair handy and, if the restaurant is busy enough, there won't be one.
Second, it makes it too hard to get away when you are done.
Third, it invades the customer's space.
Fourth and so on, Twisted Ace has covered it.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Thanks Bob!
Yes, both of my parents have had the opportunity to see me work the restaurant and bar downtown at Downeys. They'll have the chance to see me working at Applebees now as well. I actually told the bartender after I finished on Tuesday night that I will no longer be working at Downeys sadly because I just can't be hunting down the owner for my money and having him hide trying to avoid paying...he still owes me $200. I went out looking for a restaurant the very next day and Applebees was very accepting and couldn't wait to try magic out so I start on Tuesday night. Just goes to show you...there is always somthing out there but you have to get out there and get it.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Well, I suppose things have changed a bit since I did restaurant work. I used to do a restaurant that had booths that sat 6 adults. They did not like people blocking the waiters path.

I noticed that Bill Abbott works exclusively sitting down with customers in his DVD. But it may be very dependant on the restaurant as well as the magicians style. And I may be woefully behind the times.

Bob
Brad Lancaster
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Brad Lancaster
I always stand. Not only is this my preference, but there's no place to park an extra chair in any of my restaurants.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
If it is a group that has never seen me, I definately stand. If they are regulars and I know how much they enjoy the magic, I may sit and join the group. It all depends on situation. I never ask for a chair from another chair, and it's only done with customers I consider friends.
Atown88
View Profile
New user
Plymouth, MA
49 Posts

Profile of Atown88
I move table to table varying if I'm gonna sit or stand it depends wut tricks your doing
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Sit or Stand for Kids at restaurant Tables? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL