The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Sweeney Todd Knives (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

theaterfreak89
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of theaterfreak89
Hey Guys,
Im designing both the effects and lighting for a production of Sweeney Todd this summer and I figure if I walk into the first production meeting already knowing how to achieve the trickiest effect, it will save me much time later in the rehearsal process. So I'm asking if anyone knows a good source for knives, including a gimmicked one to deliver blood to the vicitm's neck? Or if there is a great principle in another knife that I may modify into the barber knife.
Any input greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
-Nick
"...Now lift it up...over your head..."
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Well, this is one of the simplest things there is:

Take a small rubber bulb or small plastic vial or whatever container that is squeezable and fits nicely against the handle (read: is hidden by the handle). Take some tubing-like an I.V. line-attach it to the container and block the other end (epoxy works fine). Now punch holes to the tube and you´re done. Just squeeze the container and blood flows. Simple and effective.

But if you need something that has no gimmicks and not that much blood is needed, check A+B blood, two clear chemicals that become blood red when brought together. "Paint" the victims neck with A, coat the blade with B and when in action, a cut appears.
Sent from my Typewriter
Saydean
View Profile
Loyal user
Omaha,Nebraska
206 Posts

Profile of Saydean
Having performed as Sweeny twice in my life I can say without reservation that the bulb attached to a flat ,dull razor like item is the way to go. Just make sure to clean it after each show and always have two more in reserve as backups.
wol
View Profile
Loyal user
Norfolk, UK
238 Posts

Profile of wol
Check out black artefacts, their web address is on http://www.blackhart.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/page55.html
They sell a cut throat razor version of knife though arm! Retails at £16 and I am sure they distribute over the pond!
Keep passing the open windows!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Sweeney Todd Knives (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL