The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Pen Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RP
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of RP
I hope this is the right place to put this...

I've read different threads that mention particular pen effects. My question is: Are there any books/dvds that deal with nothing but magic with pens? I really enjoy Recap and would like to explore more with this very handy prop.
mugician51
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of mugician51
Million Dollar Mind Reader from the Art of Astonishment series seemed like an interesting idea, but I could never quite get it to work consistantly, although it seems like it really should work.. All you need is a pen and paper.

Also, Dan Harlan has an interesting trick in one of his videos that uses a pen and a quarter to achieve a series of vanishes and reappearances of the quarter from the pen cap.

Avoid Penomenon, and the pen vanish from newmagicsecrets.com - they were two of the worst purchases I have ever made.
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1025 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
I highly recommend a free website where you can learn to twirl your pen following frame by frame videos. It's a tremendous help and something cool to add to your pen tricks. Check it out: http://www.pentrix.com/

Oh, and may I also put in a plug for the Banachek-Dela PK Sharpie and the less expensive PK Pen. Both are trick pens that effectively do the same thing. You can wow your audience with them.

yours,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
mugician51
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of mugician51
Oh yeah, I forgot about pentrix... I know some people who can do that stuff and it looks really cool, although I've never had the patience to learn it.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
A few you might want to check into:
"Capper Silver" from the Early Harlan DVD (the Mullet Years) just released by Meir Yedid is the routine mentioned above. IM me if you want one.
Then there is "Karate Cap" from the Ultimate Impromptu series (I don't recall which volume). Basically, you appear to thrust the pen into its cap which has been tossed into the air.
Also, "Now U Z It" appears both on Early Harlan and in the Impromptu series and is not technically a "pen" effect. It is a penetration/restoration of a borrowed dollar. The pen is the second most important prop.
In addition, there is "Penned-In" on the Premium Blend DVDs (Vol. 5), which is a routine that Gene Anderson and I put together. A borrowed dollar changes into an I.O.U. while the spectator is holding it, then it re-appears inside a pen.
Finally, if you can find it, "Shrinky-Ink" is an effect I put on the market a while back which allows you to gradually, visibly shrink a Bic Stic pen down to a very short length and end clean.
Other creators have come up with some great color-changing, vanishing, appearing, multiplying, bending, vanishing, dancing, writing, up-the-nose-shoving, travelling, etcetera-ing pen effects, but I know of no single collection for all the ideas.
--Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
Adam J
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Adam J
I don't know of a single DVD/Video/Book that has a series of Pen routines, but I can recommend ReCap by Greg Wilson. He has it on Off The Cuff, and ReCap Revisted on On The Spot, but I here the original is much better. If you do find a book that has pen stuff, let us know! Smile

Adam
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2005-04-04 09:42, Adam Javer wrote:
I don't know of a single DVD/Video/Book that has a series of Pen routines, but I can recommend ReCap by Greg Wilson. He has it on Off The Cuff, and ReCap Revisted on On The Spot, but I here the original is much better. If you do find a book that has pen stuff, let us know! Smile

Adam

I do this effect all the time. You would be shocked at the reactions I get. This effect is also printed in the back of one of the Paul Harris books. I can't remember at the moment which one. If I had to guess I think it is vol 1.
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
There is an effect called Doublex/aka electronic rating pen you can use this for the Million dollar mind reader,Recap and the original effect it was created for all in 1 table hop.
Astonishment as Therapy...?
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Deffinatley check out Dan's Premium Blend vol 5. I just recently was able to see this, and the pen effect is great.
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Here's a thread on impromptu with a pencil many of the ideas could be used with a pen. Gregory Wilson's Recaped is spoken of highly here at the Café. I think there might have been a thread on Pen Magic at one point or maybe it was this thread.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Deffinatley try to get ahold of Dan's Shrinky Ink. I recieved it in the mail today and it is exellent. I have performed it a few times already for Members here at the credit union.
JT Kordesich
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh
118 Posts

Profile of JT Kordesich
Banachek's PK Pen is really good, especially if you get bugged to do magic at class or at the office
Illusion: Reality in the mind of the audience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Pen Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL