The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Norm Nielsen Manipulation Cards. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Does baby powder work ok?
Daniel Faith
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Although I remain a big card manip. fan, it's been years since I've powdered my cards. Is Zinc Stearate still used by anyone? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's the equivalent of "Fanning Powder". I bought a large bottle of it at a pharmacy for a few dollars back then.

Regarding mention of the above manipulation brands, I've used them all but Murphy. The decks ranged from $10 to $20 a set. In my case they were all a waste of money as I returned to my preferred BEE blue back cards. The only card manip. device I've invested in since then is a card press and washing my hands thoroughly before using my broken in cards. You can make your own press with two boards or plexiglass with two long screws and wing nuts on each side. The deck held securely and kept flat when not in use. I went ahead and spent the $30 on the Presto press and got past all the DIY. Best money I've spent on my wonderfully broken in $3.50 BEE decks.

As for those manip. cards advertised as "ultra thin" (no need to bash anyone or manufacturer) , I was very dissapointed and literally threw them away. In my case they were a pile of junk. I felt like I was manipulating or producing paper napkins - a very weak texture that was uncomfortable and to make matters worse, bridge size cards!

I love it when I can, without any doubt in my mind, return to some of the basic tools of our art form. I just wish I hadn't spent the $ on those printed napkins they call manipulation cards.
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
I'll second that one Randy.....
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Jukiana Chen's cards are interesting in that, depending on which direction you have them, they either show black or white between your fingers... black being great if you work in front of a black background.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
I work with a black background and found that black back cards are very visible ... ninjas wore a dark blue color because it blended in with the black night beter,,, all black looks like a dead spot . Red backed bees blend into you hand when in motion.....weird........
Ragiv
View Profile
New user
Prince George, BC
95 Posts

Profile of Ragiv
Due to my lack of funds, I stick with brand new, scraped Bee decks. I have no fanning powder though, which is a bit of a drag. (Oh the agony)
Jodie - SOCTV
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
Don't really care for the thin MC's. It is probably the look. My audiences find it more credible if the seal is broken on a new deck of Bee's or Hoyle's.
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2005-07-11 09:57, Wizzard wrote:
Don't really care for the thin MC's. It is probably the look. My audiences find it more credible if the seal is broken on a new deck of Bee's or Hoyle's.

WOW! You really got strong finger!!!
thegreatgeorgio
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of thegreatgeorgio
I get the same problem with the Nielsen cards. I re-treat mine with fanning powder (zinc stearate) every once in a while to keep them "ship-shape" lol.

thanks

George
gumbimagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Too busy performing to have more than
313 Posts

Profile of gumbimagic
When I first started manipulation I bought every brand, size, color etc. I could find to get the perfect cards. Now I just use Bee or Bicycle poker size straight from the box.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I wonder how many master manipulators actually perform with their own manipulation cards. I assume they do as they carry their name. If I were a world class manipulator with my own line of cards, I'd be embarrased to be caught performing with anything but my own line of cards.

Then again, if I were a world class manipulator with my own brand, they'd be BEE stock with flesh colored backs. Maybe they'd also have my name - yeah sure why not.

I'd even throw in a free #2 pencil for those who'd know what to do with it.
asaklubs
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of asaklubs
I used to use Bee's and Nielson's, but I found the powder to be a bit troublesome...I later found out the brand of powder I had was no good. Regardless, before I knew that I switched to Murphy's which I love. I've never had to powder them - I find it more effective to wipe the cards down with a sliiightly damp towel and to allow them to dry overnight. Also, humidity kills the fanning ability of my cards (I had left them on the porch in the summer), but after washing them, they were like new. Of course, different combinations of powder and brands may be more suitable for different hands.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Direct link to Norm Nielsens Manipulation Cards:

http://www.nnmagic.com/magicitems/manipulationpage.htm
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
I think, with whatever you use, if you find it works for you, and you can make the fans, and it is not too expensive, that's probably what you should use. The best card manip I have ever seen was with bee cards, and they are what I learned with. I have seen some great work with Nielsen cards, but there were two problems. One, they were smaller, so the effect was less amazing. I have big hands so I need bigger cards. Two, they are a little reflective. Stage lights make them look like plastic cards, where as, bee's just look like cards. The Nielsens' looked like trick cards
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Norm Nielsen Manipulation Cards. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL