The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ready for almost anything (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I feel this is something important to know when you are just starting to perform in public places. Especially if you're just starting to get paid gigs such as strolling a party or public event. In these performing arenas you really never know what's going to happen so you need to be as prepared as you can.

Imagine you're performing walk around magic at a bar, restaurant or maybe a public festival of some kind. You're just there to do close up magic for small groups. All of the sudden a crowd gathers around when they see the reactions of the people you are performing for. The next thing you know the crowd is so big that if you continued to do the small close up tricks then many of the people wouldn't be able to see what you are doing. You now need to start doing a parlor type show.

Another thing that might happen someone in charge of the event comes up and asks if you'd like to do a show on the small platform stage they have there. Maybe there's a band and they ask if you can do something during the bands break. This has happened to me on many occasions.

What I'm getting at is the fact that you don't have to have large props to do magic on a stage. Small everyday objects that you probably use in your close up routines can also be used on stage. So it's a good idea to know some tricks with those props that can be seen by a larger audience. That way you'll be ready to perform for a larger group any time you are out performing.

I'm not suggesting that you should be ready to perform 24 hours a day. I'm only saying that when you are out to perform it's a good idea to be prepared for a large group as well as a small one.

Let me share a few examples of tricks I've done on stage at a moments notice to point out that you really don't need big props.

Card on forehead
Card in mouth
Traveling cards
Napkins over the head
T&R napkin (Spectator to magician)
Floating rose/cigarette/bill
Balloon swallowing
vanishing salt (T-tip)
Bill in Lemon (Common object in bar)
Change for a Dollar (With a bill)
Sponge ball magic
Rope magic

There are many more tricks that can be added to that list but I'll stop here. If you look at that list you'll see that all I'd need to do all those tricks is a deck of cards, a T-tip, a balloon, some rope and some sponge balls. The rest of the props can usually be found in a place where there are many people. All these tricks can be seen by a larger crowd so I'm always ready to do a parlor type show when I'm performing.

I also want to point out that I'm just suggesting that you go through with every request you get. There's nothing wrong with saying that you don't want to perform up there on that stage. That should be your decision. If they paid you to do walk around magic then that's all you're obligated to do. However, I found it beneficial to be flexible because it looks more professional.

Just wanted to mention this to give you something to think about. There's no way you can be ready for anything but putting some thought into the "What if" can put the odds on your favor.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Gallaleo
View Profile
New user
Tucson, AZ
42 Posts

Profile of Gallaleo
Good read
R.T.
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of R.T.
Put this in your book too! Very helpful!
Tabasco
View Profile
Loyal user
The Netherlands
219 Posts

Profile of Tabasco
Nice reading, thanks
the biggest card trick exchange center,
we have over 1600 tricks in our indexes.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Well written. Thanks!

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
RCarruth
View Profile
Veteran user
Spartanburg, S.C.
341 Posts

Profile of RCarruth
Good post Jaxon. Oz Pearlman told me recently that he has two hours of magic in his pockets and billfold every time he leaves the house... You never know..
Magic Roadshow - Magic's #1 Free Newsletter
http://magicroadshow.com
cardcaptor
View Profile
Loyal user
tagaytay, philippines
257 Posts

Profile of cardcaptor
Well said sir jaxon..

I'm from the phillipines and a cardician.. well we can also do a lot of card tricks in a stage on the spot magic... like card production, card in mouth (sfan method), and many more (i learned this things in jeff McBride's video Card manipulatin 1-3).. like Mr. Jaxon wrote, there are endless possibilities thet you can do in a stage without using big equiptments... like for example the TT you can make a whole routine out of a TT.. hehehe! Also ropes, there are so many good routines in ropes..

chao!

cardcaptor
ILLUMINATI: Brotherhood knowing to be unusually enlightened with regard to the art of magic.

in memory of... SWIFTSHIFTER

"The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ready for almost anything (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL