The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Black Art Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Carl Rheuban
View Profile
New user
Malibu, California
90 Posts

Profile of Carl Rheuban
I have long been interested in Black Art shows. I have a portion of a stage show that I would like to be a series of Black Art effects. I have also spent some time trying to gather information for a book or manuscript on Black Art shows and effects and have found that there is very little out there.

I remember years ago seeing Richardi perform a lengthly black art show that was truly magical.

I have inquired from a few magical scholars and none are aware of any books devoted to this subject.

Do any of you know of any materials or descriptions of black art effects?

Thank you.

Carl
btaxin
View Profile
Regular user
san francisco
152 Posts

Profile of btaxin
You can get lots of information about black art from Don Drake, in Las Vegas. He builds props, sells the cloth, and offers a book and a video. His phone number is (702) 880-5370. You can also check out his website at http://members.aol.com/dondrake.
Tristan
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
48 Posts

Profile of Tristan
I was wondering what's the difference between black art magic and bizarre magic
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Black art is a method used to produce magic effects.
Bizarre magic is, well, as I say in my current lecture note (Bizarre Magic), it has as many definitions as it has practitioners.
It can be spooky; it can be ghoulish; it can be just a story; or it can even be funny.
But one thing it MUST do, and that is touch the audience emotionally.
For some examples, you may want to check out my Bizarre Bazaar on Visions e-zine.
(www.online-visions.com)
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Tristan
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
48 Posts

Profile of Tristan
Thanks for your reply Peter...I have already checked your Bizarre Bazaar and it was always a pleasure to learn from you.
Aedryan Methyus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Aedryan Methyus
As I have stated in other posts, the best advice that I can offer with "B.A." is to please be as subtle as you can with it and don't over use it.

The Don Drake book and video will give you the basics but I highly recommend expanding on the ideas and incorporating your own methods because his are VERY obvious and I do not recommend using the principle as "In your face" as he shows on the video.

Your brother in the art,

Aedryan
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Aedryan is right on.
Some performers use black art as if it were a challenge to the audience to find out how it's done.
Gogi Pasha (I believe) does a spectacular black art routine.
The focus is on what's happening, rather than how it's happening.
As Aedryan say, subtle -- be subtle with it, and don't overuse it.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Aedryan Methyus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Aedryan Methyus
Thank you Peter. His name is actually Omar Pasha. I, as a magician thouroughly enjoy watching him but even he is FAR to gutsy and in your face with it.

The principle must be used in conjunction and/or combined with other principles. If it is done properly and one goes the extra distance to use the principle cleanly and maintain a fully lit stage etc. it is very mystifying and impossible of detection.

I HIGHLY recommend that if you want to use it in your act, you ALWAYS have your own lightshow and thouroughly test it from every angle through and through then test it again. Once you have done that....

Test it again!

Your brother in the art,

Aedryan
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
248 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
Quote:
On 2002-04-12 15:16, Aedryan Methyus wrote:
As I have stated in other posts, the best advice that I can offer with "B.A." is to please be as subtle as you can with it and don't over use it.

The Don Drake book and video will give you the basics but I highly recommend expanding on the ideas and incorporating your own methods because his are VERY obvious and I do not recommend using the principle as "In your face" as he shows on the video.

Your brother in the art,

Aedryan

Aedryan's advice is valid. I recently had the opportunity to see DonDrake's lecture/demonstration. His materials and concepts have great potential. But they need to be explored further and not overused...
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
You need to keep in mind that Dondrake is not a performer. In his lecture he is DEMONSTRATING what can be done with black art, not saying that you should do nothing but black art or that you should do every effect he shows you in one show.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
Dondrake will fool you with the principles he has collected and implemented. I suggest that we (since I am also a new student of these principles, beyond the square circle I built and used as a kid) start thinking of the effects, and then look at the applications that will achieve our own outcomes. These types of effects are real, visible magic, when lighted properly and performed skillfully. Your imagination is your only limit. While I am not interested necessarily in performing an entire "black-art" act, there is so much potential for us to come up with some personalized, unique magic. Dondrake has collected quite a variety of applications and ideas in his book and notes. Start there, and then let's think. (I know, thinking is some of the hardest work for most of us...) Thanks for letting me add my two cents to the discussion of this important and underdeveloped area of illusion. Smile
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
magic patagonia
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of magic patagonia
Here is a black art based effect from MAK Magic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uitWY2f7Rro
mightydog
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan now living in the Florida panha
156 Posts

Profile of mightydog
The above link for Don Drake did not work for me but one should. I just went to it.
mightydog
David
Illusion and magic is the same, if it was possible to achieve the impossible by genuine powers then it wouldn’t be impossible and therefore it wouldn’t be magic. That’s why magic is an art; the art of creating the illusion of the impossible.
Raphael Benatar

mightydog
David
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Black Art Show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL