The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Fixing old props... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Some years ago, friend Steve.L gave me an old beat-up, broken down square circle.

This thing looked like it had really been through the ringer. But it had an appearing bird cage that I thought was pretty cool.

Anyway, I sanded everything down, added felt to the stand, and repainted all the parts with an air brush.

When I had finished, you would never know that was the same prop I started out with.

It looks beautiful! Smile

Anyway, I'm not a carpenter or wood worker, but if I can do it, anyone can.

My point is, you can often add new life to a prop that at first glance looks like it needs to be thrown out.

How many of you have done this? Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Billy Diamond
View Profile
New user
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
24 Posts

Profile of Billy Diamond
Way to go Steve! As an illusion builder and refurbisher I would love to contribute to this area of the board. With your permission I would like to invite questions and do my best to provide answers on "How To" projects. I wanted to do this on my site, but this seems like the perfect area since it is already set up. In the meantime I will post some topics of my own to answer some questions.
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
It sure turned out beautiful Steve!

I'm glad you did it justice!

Steve Smile
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Thanks buddy..... Smile
Wallace
View Profile
Loyal user
Bangor, Northern Ireland
208 Posts

Profile of Wallace
I must confess that many years ago having decided to present a Chinese themed act with the 'company' (Wife and Daughter!) the biggest 'challenge' was to ensure that the re-decoration of the props was as authentic as possible!....my major fear was that some of the Chinese decoration and script would insult a real Chinese person!

Happily I seemed to succeed as I am still here to 'tell the tale'....untouched(??) by the Irish Triads!!

Moral?...Make it authentic no matter what the theme!! Smile
Wallace B
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
That’s a good point. The Mandarin characters I airbrushed on my Square Circle could say "anything", I have no idea. Luckily no one has ever gotten angry...yet. Smile

There will always be those that wish to rain on your parade, so never leave home without an umbrella...
JaquaiGul
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis
31 Posts

Profile of JaquaiGul
I heard the story of the magician who had copied Chinese characters on his props only to find a Chinese lady who told him it read, "Do not urinate in the alley."

Smile
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
248 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
On the topic of old prop repair, I have been seeking a solution to a problem that I have been trying to address...

I have an old German-made vanishing radio that was starting to come apart from use when I took ownership. It has a flexible veneer of some type, on the sides, which is intended to act like hinges. The problem is that they are cracked from age and use.

I have found flexible veneers, but they do not seem to have the "stuff" to take the punishment of performance.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance ~

Be well ~ Fredrick
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
Mr Phil
View Profile
Regular user
Tilton, New Hampshire
160 Posts

Profile of Mr Phil
I have a question as well. I was given a hot book by a friend because it did not work. I believe it is the glow plug. Any idea where to get one? Then how do I attach it. I figure it is not to much voltage to kill me so it ok to try to fix it.

I am over the twitch (mmostly) from last time I fixed a wall socket

Mr Phil
Mr. Phil & Co. Quality Family Entertainment, Guaranteed! (603) 286-3029 WWW.mrphilandco.com Snail Mail to: P.O. Box 31 Tilton, NH 03276
Doctor B
View Profile
New user
Suffield, Ohio, USA
3 Posts

Profile of Doctor B
Try hobby stores that sell model airplanes -- take the old glow plug with you to get the correct size. Buy a couple -- they foul up quickly and thus fail.

In the alternative, you can contact Theatre Effects -- they sell glow plugs.
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
This reply is for Fredrick and the hinges on his vanishing radio. Depending on the model you have it would either be an Old Bart l model or one of the newer ones that Viennamagic has made. If it is one of the Viennamagic models as I suspect, you will need to locate from a plastic supply house black poly-butyl flex in sheeting, this comes in 1"-2" and 3" width. it is sold by the foot and is very thin, flexible, and lasts a long time. If you cannot find it, let me know and I will give you Viennamagic's info so that you can contact Stephan and he could send you over material that will fill the bill.
All the best cheers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Fixing old props... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL