The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2005 entrée: Max Maven » » The Max Maven Look? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Socrates
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Socrates
Greetings Max!

Welcome aboard the Magic Café...

Where did the Max Maven look originate from?

You mentioned The Jinx as one of your favourite books and I'm sure I've seen a similar looking character within the pages of Ted Annemanns Jinx magazine.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Socrates

"The words of truth are always paradoxical" - Lao Tzu Smile
Max Maven
View Profile
V.I.P.
266 Posts

Profile of Max Maven
The look is, of course, based on the classic Mephistophelean archtype, but revised and tweaked to fit my aesthetic choices. A major influence was "Ming the Merciless" from the Flash Gordon comics and movies.

As a kid, I always felt regret that nature had not given me a widow's peak, as I'd always found that hairline compelling (Peter Cushing, et al). Then, in my teens, I came across the information that Annemann had admired Dunninger's widow's peak, and had shaved his hairline into that style. That knowledge gave me "license" to alter my own hairline, but it took over five years to actually build up the commitment to do it.
fanwun
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of fanwun
Hey Max!

Welcome to the Café. I love Flash Gordon and the first time I saw you, I said, "This guy looks like Ming!" Now, does the Max have anything to do with Mr. von Sydow?
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
If Max should happen to be swedish I would be very, very suprised indeed.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Max Maven
View Profile
V.I.P.
266 Posts

Profile of Max Maven
In another post I discussed the origin of my name. Not connected to Max von Sydow, but of course I'm a fan (even of his non-Ming work).
fanwun
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of fanwun
Me too. He's a good actor.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Me three, he is en exellent actor, and.... he is swedish
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2005 entrée: Max Maven » » The Max Maven Look? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL