The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Misers dream (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Michael238
Does any one have a good application for the misers dream?
I was wanting to do a story on the widow in Luke.
BradBrown
View Profile
Regular user
Florence, KY, USA
183 Posts

Profile of BradBrown
Most of the time I don't do a Gospel application with my miser's dream. Occasionally I use it as a springboard to talk about God's provision.

After the routine, I tell the audience that I can't really pull money out of the air. (It would be nice if I could, but...) However, those of us who have a relationship with God can do something even better. We can take our needs to God and he has promised to take care of us.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I don't have a gospel routine for misers dream either.
Every effect in a gospel show doesn't have to have a message.
If it's the only effect you are doing like for instance a sunday school class,
perhaps you could do something along the lines that God's love is worth more than all the riches in the world.
Daniel Faith
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Here is a brainstorm list around the Miser's Dream:

1) Multitude of spiritual gifts, especially if at the end you pull a multicolored streamer from the bucket. (If you use a bucket).

2) God's gifts never run out.

3) Stewardship theme. Fear that if you give what you have, you will loose it.

Just a couple of thoughts.

RevJohn
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Hey all, I'd like to bring this topic up again. I have been obsessed with The Misers Dream for some time- got a bunch of buckets including the ones from Wal-Mart (they have an aluminum or steel utensil holder for under $5.00, or a nice copper brown colored one with a glass lid for under $9.00) and the Bed, Bath and Beyond utensil holder which is heavier($9.95). I do have the Chris Capehart DVD and the comprehensive Levent DVD on The Miser's Dream.

Still, it is one of those "someday to do" routines I have never worked on- until now. I just this week viewed the extremely simple DVD routine entitled "Baxt, A Boy and a Bucket" (available from Penguin Magic- they shipped it to me super fast even though I used their cheapeast form of mail)-I thought Baxt's routine was just great- and entertaining too. Really no excuse now not to give it a try next time I have a show with some little kids there. Baxt uses only a very simple "sleight" (if you even want to call it that), an unrigged bucket, and regular half dollars that are introduced in plain slight, and a final giant coin appearance (standard oversized coin available at most magic shops). Wish I could have been on last year's Creativity at Sea Cruise with Baxt.

Anyway, per the above, any other Gospel applications floating around out there for The Misers Dream? If not, that's ok too, seems like a good "to do now" trick- especially with the new Sonic Drive-In televsion ads featuring a magician pulling a coin out of boy's ear.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Why not use it to illustrate the fact that God will repay our generosity 30, 60 or 100-fold?

Or you could do as another recommended and use it to teach that God will provide all our needs...we just need to be mindful not to send the message that our needs are not necessarily the same as our "wants", or worse yet, our "covets".
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
Render unto ceaser(sp?) that which is ceasers(sp?)-render unto GOD that which is GODS - also husband /wife -preacher/congreation - teacher/student -we all should render (give respect) to the other - in many ways - does this make any sense??- Ralph
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Whoops, it's Checkers Drive-Thru that features the coin from the ear, not Sonic. Thanks for the suggestions above, will try it out first on my spouse's 1st grade Sunday School class that she teaches and see how it goes...
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Quote:
On 2012-12-07 10:48, Mike Maturen wrote:
Why not use it to illustrate the fact that God will repay our generosity 30, 60 or 100-fold?

Or you could do as another recommended and use it to teach that God will provide all our needs...we just need to be mindful not to send the message that our needs are not necessarily the same as our "wants", or worse yet, our "covets".

Money wouldn't be a good way to express that considering we already have enough false churches that built themselves on misquoting that piece of scripture. God has already paid for generousity. God has already paid it all. God owes me nothing for when I do good. Because even in my goodness, there is sin. God rewards those with "Faith". For he who uses the little they have will be given more.

God doesn't provide all our needs. He gives us the means and the tools to provide for ourselves. Otherwise, I could continue sitting here without a care in the world.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Point taken, Danny. There truly are a large number of "name it claim it" (or as I like to call them, "blab it grab it") churches out there preaching a false gospel of health and wealth.

My church (Catholic) teaches that we are to accept our sufferings and join them with those of Jesus.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Thanks Mike for getting my point. I thought I might of been splitting hairs with my previous post. Smile

There is a great article that I think is really, really good reading. I believe it's a transcript of a sermon or some speech so it's not broken down into paragraphs.

When I read this article, it made so much biblical sense. I would never be able to say it as good as it is written in the article.

Everyone should read it!

http://www.revelationsofthebible.com/TrueChurch.htm
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I am, as you have said, an entertainer who is Christian. As such, my shows will not be tasteless, etc. When I am performing for a church, I might use an effect to illustrate a story that plants a gospel seed...but as you have stated, it is not our job to convert sinners. It is our job to entertain.

After we pack up and leave, if a seed has been planted, it is up to the pastors, teachers and preachers to water those seeds and harvest the crop!

That being said, part of my ministry is also being a public speaker and author. So, I MAY use magic to teach a theological point if it fits. Unfortunately, much of what I have seen as "gospel magic" is either very poorly done, or REALLY stretched the effect to fit the "theology".

Better to stick to the entertaining side of things.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
I think you're awesome Mike!
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Thanks Danny.

I should amend my remarks slightly in that I believe it is the responsibility of ALL believers to preach the Gospel. But I like the way St. Francis of Assisi says it:

"Preach the Gospel at all times...use words when necessary"

In other words, we preach the Gospel be people seeing the way we conduct ourselves. We shouldn't be seen or heard dropping "f-bombs", or taking the Lord's name in vain. We SHOULD be sen being kind to that annoying kid that won't leave us alone while we are trying to set up or break down...or is shouting from the audience, "I know how that's done!".

How we handle ourselves in these situations does more to reinforce OR tear down the Gospel message than any sermon we might give with a magic trick!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
There are many names which carry a meaning of different attributes of God.

One is Jehovah Jireh, God our provider.

Of course things that money buys will rust, but our reward will last forever.

Harris

fishers of men of kansas city
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
This is totally off topic, but I am too lazy to start another thread: For those of us going on Creativity at Sea in a few weeks, we will be visiting the Mayan ruins if the world survives past tomorrow. The weather report for 12-21-2012 in the U.S. is not too good, see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ5_Lv3d7kE

Maybe we will find gold for our Miser's Dream buckets...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Misers dream (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL