The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Best Knives for Web of Distraction (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tophie
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Tophie
Which Mogar knives are best for this effect....

The Black Stag handel set or the Bone Handle set....

Or others?
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
I have the bone jigged set. I bought it because I wanted the deluxe set. THe knives are the best I've worked with and I have three different sets from other makers. I love my Mogar knives.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-07-26 18:43, Michael Bilkis wrote:
I have the bone jigged set. I bought it because I wanted the deluxe set. THe knives are the best I've worked with and I have three different sets from other makers. I love my Mogar knives.

Michael,

Is the bone knife as easy to find by touch as the stag knife is, and, is the contrast between the bone and regular knife as visible as it is with the stag and regular knife?

With the bone knife set is the regualr knife a black knife set (or is it a white knife)?

Thanks for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Turk,
It's jigged Bone and white. Three knife set. One all white. one all bone(brown). And one special knife. THe white knife is smoth and the Bone is jigged. Very easy to differentiate in your pocket.

Michael
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Honestly it does not make a difference!

Sure the stag handles help you locate the knife you want and the side you want very, very, very easily. However, the old style smooth knives were also constructed so that you could determine which side was which. It all comes in Joe’s instructions. All of Joe’s knives come with a “tell”. Basically, the bolster down (at the thumb) and the blade to the left will give you all the information you need.

Any or all of the Mogar knives can easily be used for the routine (and a brilliant routine it is too!). Don’t fret about which is best; there is no best, as they are all the best! Simply buy a set that appeals to you and has the look that you want.

I have an old Mogar set (the so called five knife fantasy set). It is over ten years old and predates his newer stag handles and his even newer bone (jigged and otherwise) handles. I have never had one problem knowing which side was up just by knowing the cues. Of course, Joe showed me how the day I bought them from him.

Lately, I have been using his Giant set for a stand-up knife and silk routine based on one found in “Merrils Knife Book” (you have that book don’t you?). They are very large and can be seen in fairly large venues.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
quickhands
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of quickhands
Mr. Murphy, I am so glad I found your post. I was trying to decide between a set of stag 3 knives and the fantasy set, wondering if buying the fantasy set would prevent me to perform certain routines. Helped by your post, I have decided to in favor of the fantasy set.

Thanks,

QH.
Skypoint
View Profile
New user
Dallas, Texas
71 Posts

Profile of Skypoint
I have a set (4) of these beautiful knives and have a basic routine down, but would like to move onto a more advanced routine. Can anyone comment on Web of Distraction by Whit Haydn?

Thanks,

Jim
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

More than a routine, "The Web of Distraction" is a treatise on the color changing knives. It is well worth purchasing to read and learn Whit's approach to magic and routining.

Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Best Knives for Web of Distraction (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL