The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Holland, MI (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Popo
View Profile
Loyal user
Valparaiso, IN
219 Posts

Profile of Popo
I was wondering who here was planning on working Holland, MI this summer. It seems as though they are pretty friendly towards street workers. My daughter and I were thinking of heading up for a few days. Has anybody worked there in the past? If so how is it? Can you give any good insights? Thanks in advance!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I never heard of any street performing in Holland, MI. I perform there, occasionally, but those gigs are always booked in advance.
Popo
View Profile
Loyal user
Valparaiso, IN
219 Posts

Profile of Popo
Alan, on Performers.net they posted about Holland and the strret requirements. I wrote to the woman there and she sent me literature. There is a $10 permit fee for the year and no mention of assigned performances. It does say that a performer may only stay on their pitch for 2 hours and then must move. It also defines specific pitch areas. The only time they will not allow street performers is during the Tulip Days which I believe are going on now.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I plan on being there.....
koz
markmagic
View Profile
New user
KY
51 Posts

Profile of markmagic
Yes, they emailed me the info promptly, but would love to hear from someone who has worked the streets there.
*Ferry*
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of *Ferry*
I think I have some bad news for those who are planning to do some magic in the dutch streets.
I just checked the website of the city of Amsterdam and found out that, since 2003, you have to live in Europe to get a licence to perform in the streets.
And even then you have a little change, only 100 street performers can get (buy) a licence to perform in Amsterdam.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Thank you ferry, but I think they're talking here about a town southwest of Grand Rapids, Michigan.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Yes we are and I sent them my money today...so leave that pitch to me and you all stay away Smile

koz
Ojasa
View Profile
New user
U.S.
77 Posts

Profile of Ojasa
When are you going to be there.... it is only a 10 hour drive or so.....
that magic is an art, and an art worth your learning. The question is rather, whether you be capable of learning it? Magic is somewhat like poetry, men are to be born so: I mean, with inclinations to it, though both may be heightened by discourse and prac
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
WOW! that's a olong ways....mid june I think through the 4th of july
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2005-05-08 12:49, Popo wrote:
Alan, on Performers.net they posted about Holland and the strret requirements. I wrote to the woman there and she sent me literature. There is a $10 permit fee for the year and no mention of assigned performances. It does say that a performer may only stay on their pitch for 2 hours and then must move. It also defines specific pitch areas. The only time they will not allow street performers is during the Tulip Days which I believe are going on now.

I was referring to the fact that my performances are usually private shows, not through the city of Holland. I might look into it - a good way to hone a few new standup routines. It's been quite a few years since I performed on the streets. I used to perform on the streets on downtown Grand Rapids, but street performers stopped coming because of the dismal hats.

Tulip Time only uses performers who are paid to be there, from what I've heard. They have volunteers for other activites.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Yea, it could be slim picking there in holland BUT someone needs to test the waters and I have nothing else to do...if its not there I will go to madison and work there for a few wweeks or go up to bulington vermont or portsmouth or some othere pitch I have yet to visit...
koz
Popo
View Profile
Loyal user
Valparaiso, IN
219 Posts

Profile of Popo
Alan, Thanks for the reply. My daughter and I do aa show which we are going to try there. When are you there? I would like to see your show and meet you. We are planning on making some day trips there as it is about 2 hours away. Hope to meet you and anybody else who is heading up there.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
As I said, I only perform private shows in Holland. As for when I might perform a public show there, that's up in the air. I've got GR and a number of other cities that I book private gigs in.

I'm thinking about getting back into restaurant magic, but my approach would be different than how I approached it in the past. I'd like to be seen by those who have parties with bigger budgets.

I performed a bit at the Farmer's Market, in Holland. I seemed to be making bigger hats than anyone else there, but it was still a trickle. If you're looking to make money, this isn't it. I may still go there to test new material, however. The Farmer's Market, from what I've heard, is only busy in the morning on Saturday - it has more traffic than anywhere else. I looked at 8th Street, where most of the street performing locations are, and it didn't seem worth working.

You'll need a vented hat, or else the sun and humidity will zap all your energy. The sun was really blinding me, but it's impossible to work with sunglasses on.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Holland, MI (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL