The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Clippo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Elliott Hodges
View Profile
Veteran user
England
324 Posts

Profile of Elliott Hodges
Where can I learn this routine?
thanks
elliott
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
This has been a dealer item for years and years. Are you interested in making it up yourself? Let me know via PM and I'll get you some references in books on doing so.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Clippo has been around for decades. I have a book from the 1920 that includes it.

Easier to find source of this trick is:

“Magic for Dummies”, by Tom Ogden. This book is available through most booksellers like Barnes and Nobles or Amazon.

Or just PM Frank above.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
"Clippo" was one of the tricks that I did in 1946 at age nine. I made my own with rubber cement. I think it could still be a good trick if presented well.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Get Newspaper Magic by Gene Anderson. Clippo is in this book along with some great paper magic.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This is a great paper trick with loads of applications. I've used it in political campaigns with a candidate who never seems to know which side of an issue he's on as the paper figure. He keeps leaning one way and then another as he sticks his neck out to get it chopped off.

It's a lot of fun.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Blackstone used it in one with his "Why fire engines are red" patter.

It also has been done with fish and elongated rabbit drawings.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
The neatest thing I've done with Clippo was using it with those oversized novelty store dollar bills.

I was making a presentation to a bunch of legislators who were spending too much money on administration costs for a program. I used it to illustrate exactly how much of the taxpayers money was actually getting to the program's target population.

It was a pretty graphic way to drive home a point.

:magicrabbit:
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
You can find clippo in one of Mark Wilson's Video Course in Magic together with Squircle and many other magic tricks.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
MrMagic1
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of MrMagic1
You can learn it from most magic books.
saranacbo
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of saranacbo
I started in magic being taught by a man in his 70's--having done magic in the 1930's to 1950's. One of the first tricks he taught me was clippo (making my own, natch) and I used it a lot of times--used a stock market readout, demonstrating how , even if various businesses went broke, the economy would still survive (sure, it was hokey, but I was young and thought I was clever. I know better now).

Anyhow, no matter where I did it, it always got a good reaction--puzzling, rather than astounding. But it fit in beautifully as my second trick of a show.

Haven't done it in years--do nothing but sleights now--but I just may sometime.

Sure, it's old as the hills. . . but only to someone who's seen it a whole bunch of times (which I can almost bet no current audience has).

A fun little bit--you can't go wrong.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
I do believe (if memory serves) that the clippo is also described in Mark Wilson's Course in Magic. Its a very practical, visual trick to know!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
I love this routine. It's a great MC bit when a little effect is needed. Or a more intimate effect with the audience. It also meets my requirement of packing into a brief case. Almost my entire show must packs into one brief case.
Markiss
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Markiss
Jim Steinmyere has a great routine in his Device and Illusion book.

I was wrong, its not in Device and Illusion, its in an issue of magic magazine. Sorry.
Shane Baker
View Profile
New user
nigh on 20 years and I've made a measly
81 Posts

Profile of Shane Baker
An early mentor (the late Jim Morris of Kansas City) taught me Clippo with Blackstone Sr.'s Why Fire Engines Are Red patter (it being a favorite joke of mine in grade school anyway). When I later had the khutspe to perform it at a convention, Blackstone Jr. came up to me after the show, sat me down, and ran me through it precisely as he remembered it from his father's show. What a lesson that was!
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of snushy
Clippo is also taught in Tarbell #5.
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Clippo (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL