The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Best gobsmaking effects for the meeting with the Manager (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RizlaDizla
View Profile
New user
Essex UK
34 Posts

Profile of RizlaDizla
Ok, you have sent of the letter, called back and managed to arrange a meeting with the restaurant manager. You can only do a few effects for him that have to blow his/her mind yet be appropriate for the establishment.

What are the 3/4 effects you do to nail the job?

I am thinking of:

Chop Cup / 2 Cup Routine ending with bigger sponge balls
then, Sponge ball Routine
then, ACR with paperclip/wallet ending.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Chicago Surprise, ACR -- Card to Envelope, Color Changing Knives.
toonomads
View Profile
Regular user
Albuquerque, NM, USA
172 Posts

Profile of toonomads
I would have to agree. How can you go wrong with a Whit Haydn Triple whammy?

Clickable smiles are not functioning....So I resort to this:

:)

All the best from Tokyo....
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Here is a thought. If you are going to do some effects it would be best if you could perform for some of the wait staff as well with the GM watching? Better yet to perform for some of the patrons at the restaurant. The manager is going to be more concerned with their customers’ reactions. The manager at the restaurant I work doesn't seem to care about the magic just the customers’ satisfaction.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
532 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
Chicago Surprise-opener
"Unshuffled" with restaurant name as the finish

Several times I have borrowed a $1 bill and changed it into a $10 or $20 and let them keep the bill!...A worthwhile investment for a big show. I had a $100 ready once for a function the governor of NY was at, but did not have the opportunity to perform for him that night.
Magic Sam
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
107 Posts

Profile of Magic Sam
I agree with davidpaul; do a bill switch for the manager, then offer to do some magic for the customers for free (assuming your meeting is at lunchtime), and go kill them.

Otherwise, your strongest cards (ACR with wallet/box/etc. ending) with a non-card routine (sponge balls, bill float and switch, coins across, chop cup, etc.). Good luck!
Magic is like a party in your eyes, where everyone's drunk and breaking the furniture
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
I'd say do the material you feel MOST comfortable with, that you've practised a LOT, and would show to your friends if they asked you to show them something amazing.

When you're in front of a manager, don't try and be something you're not - if you are not a person who does a lot of levitations, don't try and learn a this trick just to impress the boss or you can guarantee you will be thinking more about the effect than actually about the performance.

Just try and be yourself and sell the place on what YOU do best. Good luck! Smile

FWIW, I performed a colour changing deck routine followed by ambitious card to wallet followed by the same signed card changing it's back colour and pattern to become a blank card that read "Thanks for watching 'manager's-name-here'"

a.
Logic Defied
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Do the magic for the people in the restaurant not the manager. Explain to the manager what you do then offer him a free night when it's slower (usually Tuesday's or Wednesdays) so that he can watch the audience react to you. He may or may not like magic but he can't deny the fact that when the customers are happy and laughing that they will come back. Do tricks for the customers that promote the restaurant. Also, you say to EVERY TABLE: "Thank you so much for watching...this is a new promotional idea we're thinking about doing at this restaurant every (whatever night) if you've enjoyed yourselves please tell the host/hostess or the manager on your way out!" Thank them again then move on.
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
Yes, do your most comfortable routine, and make sure it is a SURE-FIRE!
You don't want to take any risk in front of the manager.

The secret isn't what kind of magic you do, but what kind of person you are.
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Best gobsmaking effects for the meeting with the Manager (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL