The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What constitutes a (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I am mostly a close-up magician but can modify anything to the stage. I'm a little nervous though when people ask me to do a stage show because I don't want to disappoint. Besides giving the employer a full description of what the show would entail, do you all think the public's perception of the term "stage" show involves huge props, doves, livestock, etc... or is it more in the personality of the performer in engaging the audience, no matter what the trick is? Smile
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
This is probably better addressed by someone who has "contested" in a convention competition, but I would be honored to submit my own ideas on the topic for your thoughtful consideration.

Way back when, when I used to produce magic conventions, (PCAM & others) we used to have
"Magic Competitions" (I know they still do) and some of the categories we defined by the size of the area in which the contestant actually was allowed to perform in.

I don't remember what the exact dimensions were, but, as an example:

Stand-up/Parlor may have been something like a 8 ft by 12 ft area.

Stage; anything outside of that area.

and

Close-up, though it could be performed "on-stage" or in a parlor situation was just that, close-up

Now I realize THAT doesn't really solve your dilemma or answer appropriately your question exactly.

As I see it, our job as a "solutions provider" is to paint an appropriate picture of the solution that best supports the wants, needs, desires and outcomes of our
"business friends" and associates. (Aka: Clients)

Be "as clear as is possible" and offer the full-blown benefits of your show! Whatever that show may really be.

If it's close-up, then demonstrate all the advantages of magic that happens at an unexplainable distance... hands-on, right under their very nose!

The distinct advantage to your Stand-up and parlor performance may be that you still enjoy all the intimacy of unforgetable, mind-blowing magic, but for groups larger than that able to gather around a small table or small cocktail group.

and so on...

Be descriptive stating all the TRUE and Honest BENEFITS (To THEM) of the particular type of show you excel in, and go out and make em' smile!

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse the situation too much.

I am at your service and in His service,
Deano
:magicrabbit:
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What constitutes a (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL