The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Torn and Restored... what's the deal? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
TheFish727
View Profile
New user
Tarzana CA
96 Posts

Profile of TheFish727
I think the best and most visual TARC is Torn beause it everyrestoration, he never covers the pieces

You can see a demo of torn at ellosionist.com
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:
On 2005-05-17 18:30, Chuds wrote:
Ah, my favourite topics. All 3 are different, how you think you saw a version of Lovicks and thought it looked the same as Torn or R & R is beyond me. Reparation is the simpler version to Reformation and is nothing like the other 2. The signature is on the face, the switch is different and so is the restorations. R & R and Torn are very similar but different. Torn has the same ripping sequence as R & R as Dan said he like the switch and rip from that trick, however, the restorations are different on 2 and 3 in Torn. The 1st restoration is the same as R & R, the second is completly different, and the 3rd, Dan has a different way of getting into it. They also both have different methods of clearing up at the end

I think Chuds says it best. The Reparation is totally different. And no doktokaro Torn and R+R are not identical. The ripping is the same, the first restoration is the same, but that is where the similarities end. For the third piece, Yves holds his card sideways between his fore-finger and middle finger, while Daniel holds the card upright and lays it into place (much more visual and much less awkward than Yves.) The last piece is also different. Yves' missing piece is in the top corner while Daniel's is on the bottom corner. One you unfold up and the other unfolds down. The clean up is also different. Yves has you fold the extra piece in half as you unfold the card for the last piece. Daniel leaves the loose piece unfolded in the front of the card until he folds the card to turn it over and show the other side. I think Daniels fourth piece is easier because you are not trying to do two things at once.
My thinking on T+Rs is that of course the piece by piece routines are going to look similar in the front. However, if any of them were identical to another I think the inventor would have a copyright case.
Doktokaro, I am not trying to start an argument. Apparently in your opinion the two are close enough to call them identical. However, in my opinion they are not due to the subleties that I pointed out above. Cheers.

-Paul
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
I personally prefer Guy Hollingworth's "Reformation" effect. It is such a wonderful piece of magic. "Torn" is very visual yet "Reformation" has some excellent convincers built into the routine.
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2005-07-07 03:17, TheFish727 wrote:
I think the best and most visual TARC is Torn beause it everyrestoration, he never covers the pieces

What about the last piece, that is all he does for it. In fact you NEVER even see the piece at all.

This is the biggest weakness of a LOT of these T&R's. Especially seeing as how they already have a little something left over to ditch anyways, there realy is no reason not to have two pieces leftover two. Hollingworth does it and it really is NOT at all the hard part of the effect.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
caseman
View Profile
New user
Greensboro, NC
56 Posts

Profile of caseman
IMHO all the T&R card effects have some moments in them where the hands are in a somewhat closed position. I am not criticizing this, just pointing out the obvious. Pick the one you like, practice till your smooth and go with it. It is hard to find a T&R that has a more open, and convincing tear sequence than JC Wagner's from his book Commercial Magic. Granted, it is not a piece by piece restoration, but does it really need to be? Are we overproving ourselves by restoring it piece by piece? I am not saying piece by piece restorations can't look magical, I am saying is it really better to a lay person's mind? Just some food for thought. I happen to like the Reparation by Lovick for a cabaret or trade show event, but prefer JC's for strolling. Hard to go wrong either way.
"Don't forget the ACES"
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Piece by piece are the most magical looking, Flash restorations can be a bit quick and startling and the spectator may say let me see that again or something, whereas piece by piece it looks better everytime. And UnRipped or Reformation are the best really in my eyes, yes Torn is very visual and easy to set up, UnRipped is the most 'Visual', as the cards literally fuse on, whereas Reformation, looks so real because of the signature can be shown as theirs at each stage, and with both of these, a last piece of the card is actually used to be restored, instead of a bluff restoration
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
James Watkins
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of James Watkins
Quote:
On 2005-07-07 18:07, Chuds wrote:
Piece by piece are the most magical looking, Flash restorations can be a bit quick and startling and the spectator may say let me see that again or something, whereas piece by piece it looks better everytime.

I have experimented with piece by piece restorations and flash restorations. I agree with what you said to an EXTENT, but not entirely.. I found that a spectator could care less about which one you do. Whether it be piece by piece or flash. The effect is the same in their eyes. You tore a card into pieces and it was restored.. A flash restoration can be just as magical than a piece by piece. Imagine taking a selection, ripping it into four piece, and placing those pieces into the spectator's hands and have them squeeze. When they open their hands, the card is restored. This is just as magical as a piece by piece. A flash restoration can be quick or slow, just like you can do a piece by piece slow or fast.

I personally find most piece by piece restorations boring. After that first piece is restored, the spectator KNOWS what you are doing for the remainder of the trick. Don't get me wrong, there ARE piece by piece T&R's I like, but I, PERSONALLY, find flash restorations to be just as magical than piece by piece restorations, as well as MORE PRACTICAL. Just my opinion though...

Later,
James
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Fair point James, and in some cases I would agree, for instance your Phoenix Rising which is very good. However, I still fell that Flash happens all of a sudden, and though if done in the spectators hand looks magical and fools them, I ahve had some people say 'But you probably put a folded up card in there'. could hve been bad presentation or technique used, but I didn't think so, but as for piece by piece, though after the 1st restoration they know what will happen, it amazes them even more. With the 1st to pieces, you don't say watch, I will put them back together, You just do it basically. With the second one, they are now expecting it and aren't caught off guard, so it amazes them more becasuse they are watching intensely, the last restoration I have played with my self in folding up a 3/4 piece, placing the final quarter in with it in their hand, and it fuses together in their hand, but more points and touches to this type of routine will be in my book
www.magicman13.co.uk

James Watkins
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of James Watkins
Quote:
On 2005-07-08 05:41, Chuds wrote:
Fair point James, and in some cases I would agree, for instance your Phoenix Rising which is very good. However, I still fell that Flash happens all of a sudden, and though if done in the spectators hand looks magical and fools them, I ahve had some people say 'But you probably put a folded up card in there'. could hve been bad presentation or technique used, but I didn't think so, but as for piece by piece, though after the 1st restoration they know what will happen, it amazes them even more. With the 1st to pieces, you don't say watch, I will put them back together, You just do it basically. With the second one, they are now expecting it and aren't caught off guard, so it amazes them more becasuse they are watching intensely, the last restoration I have played with my self in folding up a 3/4 piece, placing the final quarter in with it in their hand, and it fuses together in their hand, but more points and touches to this type of routine will be in my book

You make a lot of fair points as well, and I do agree. I will post a flash restoration I have been using for a few years in Secret Sessions. I don't know if it is original or not.. that is why I am putting it there. I have never had a spectator say anything about a folded up card. My presentation is very good for it, and they never expect the ending. I just feel comparing flash restorations and piece by piece restorations is like comparing apples and oranges, and one is just as magical as the other. If anyone would like to see my method, go over to Secret Sessions.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
My Take for walk around and close up work A flash restoration is the best.
for stage and parlor then piece by piece gets the nod.
No one has mentioned Davadis Eldrige's QUATERLY RETURNS
this is a flash restoration, and it is one of the very best because of it's simplicity and avery startling restortion....
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Where can we learn it Vinni?
www.magicman13.co.uk

S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
Eldridge's Quarterly Returns has been out for a little while... it was originally produced by Brad Burt's Magic Shop and can probably still be ordered through them.

http://www.magicshop.com

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Chuds you can also contact David Eldridge or Brad Burt they are membrers on the Café, david he is known as dpp666.
if this is not possible pm me for further information.
this is a wonderful effect and can be done surronded...
vinny

ps
JC Wagners One teaar at a time is also excellent and this is piece by piece restoration
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Torn and Restored... what's the deal? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL