The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Which Sympathetic Silks routine to learn? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
Use the lightest weight silk your skill will allow. Take full advantage of the benefits of silk.

Yea, what I use seems to be fine. It works anyway.

Thanks Bob.

John
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Bob what is tender about the age of 60 so I know what to look forward to.

I was going through some old tapes and found Billy Bishop on the Magic of Magic doing his Sympathetic Silk Routine. A very simple but strong routine that had years of polish. There also a very young Glen Bishop working with Buddy Faran.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Ok. I have my 6 silks and I'm ready to practice.
I have some questions about the routine but we'll see how it goes.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2005-06-26 03:06, Frank Starsini wrote:
Ok. I have my 6 silks and I'm ready to practice.
I have some questions about the routine but we'll see how it goes.

Watch the Billy Bishop video on Glenn Bishop's site Frank. It will help.

John
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Yes, that's what I did. I'm a bit shaky on the exact method but I do have my book that seems to explain what I think is going on.

I like big huge silks.

One quetsion I have is if I'm not working with an assistant, some preperation is necessary. I have some thinking to do there in terms of setup.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
There's no preparation really. Just have the "tricky" silks laying somewhere next to the other three. Know which is which and pick them up appropriately. You can kinda "roll" the tricky silks to cover the "tricky" parts. The big silks however can act as covers rather well.

John
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Frank,

Just buy the Rice booklet on this subject when you get the dye tube book. It will answer all your questions.

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rices%20Sel......ines.htm

It give you several persentations and methods to perform this.
Richard Hatch
View Profile
Regular user
Logan Utah
127 Posts

Profile of Richard Hatch
Quote:
On 2005-05-27 17:41, Levent wrote:
In my opinion the two best routines currently in print are those of Charlie Miller and Paul Potassy...

The Paul Potassy routine is a much longer and more complex and it uses a completely different knotting technique. It is published in German under the title "Die Paul Potassy Show". If the German language is a barrier to you. Then from what I have heard an English translation of it will soon be published. The book also has other great "stand-up” magic tricks from the act of one of the last great Continental conjurer's of post-war Europe.

The English language edition of DIE PAUL POTASSY SHOW which has been renamed THE MAGIC OF PAUL POTASSY goes to the printers in a few weeks. Paul's handling of the sympathetic silks is one of his signature effects. He has opened his shows with it for half a century and it is perfect! No details of his handling are omitted in the book, including his entire performance script. The book also includes his razor blades trick, pickpocket sequence, card stab, book test and much more, along with biographical details of his incredible career. We hope to have it back from the printers in time for Paul's 82nd birthday on October 23, 2005.
Richard Hatch
www.HatchAcademy.com
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Hi Richard:

I can't wait to get the English edition of the Potassy book, as I had to have my wife translate the German edition (a gift from my friend, Ted Lesley) and I frankly look forward to reading it for myself (in English).

Last month, I had the opportunity to spend some time with Mr. Potassy at the Magic Circle Centenary in London. And I must say that he is a charming gentleman, a masterful magician and a terrific entertainer.

In my opinion the Potassy book is a "must read" for anyone who is interested in quality stage magic.

Best regards,
Levent
Richard Hatch
View Profile
Regular user
Logan Utah
127 Posts

Profile of Richard Hatch
Thanks, Levent. I'm very much looking forward to your forthcoming book on Roy Benson, which I can also recommend unreservedly "sight unseen"!
May I quote you on Potassy (not on the book itself, since you haven't yet had a chance to read our edition!) in our advertising? One of the problems I anticipate in marketing the book is that Paul is not as well-known in America as elsewhere. He did have successful runs at hotels in Chicago and Milwaukee, but did not stay here long enough to establish a public identity as he did in France, Britain, Germany, Spain, the Far East and elsewhere. I not too worried, as I really think the strength of the material will carry the book. It is very practical, as you can imagine, and full of professional finesses that elevate standard plots to new levels.
Richard Hatch
www.HatchAcademy.com
rhr755
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of rhr755
Hey I need a silk production that can hold alot! of silks but not the square circal trick. iv been using jeff McBrides postarboard production and I just don't like it. so any ideas?
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Dear Richard:

Please feel free to quote me in your ads. To me Mr. Potassy was one of the highlights of the Centenary.

Best regards,
Levent
harry the snail
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of harry the snail
I know this is an old thread but I can never contain myself when I see the name of Paul Potassy mentioned. I consider him to be one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) magicians I have ever seen in my life. In his field of magic at any rate.That is a talking stand up act presenting magic for adult audiences.

I first heard of him over 40 years ago. At the time I was trying to entertain drunks in noisy nightclubs on a regular basis and was just as regularly dying a rather awful death every night.

Then I heard whispers of a legendary magician who would get standing ovations in night clubs at 2am working to similar drunk and inattentive audiences. I was told he only did classic tricks such as Sympathetic Silks and the Razor Blades. quite frankly I didn't want to believe it and since I had never heard of him I shoo-shood the idea.

And then I saw him on Television and was quite electrified by what I say. I realised this was a great magician. Then I saw him a second time a few years later with a similar reaction.

And now I have seen him at the age of 84 on DVD and he is just as good as he always was with the exact same tricks.

Since this is a thread about Sympathetic Silks I can only say there is no routine better. There can't be. It isn't possible. And there can be no better performer of this trick than Potassy. There can't be. It just isn't possible. Entertainers like that only come once in a lifetime. And I'm not dead yet.

Incidentally he says you must use THICK silk. Sorry Bob!!!!!
harry the snail
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of harry the snail
Incidentally I don't think I agree with the notion that the silks must be large as in 24 inches or 30 inches. This is fine if you are of tall stature but for a short person they don't look right and also they trail the floor. Plus they are harder to handle and manipulate. Just thought I'd mention this point. 18 inches are good enough. That is what Slydini used on stage.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Which Sympathetic Silks routine to learn? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL