The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » My Review For Doc Eason's "Bar Magic Volume 3". (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
As said before, I use a 1-10, with 10 being PERFECT rating scale. I judge on The Tricks, (Impact), Technique, Teaching Style & Understanding, and Video Quality, such as Camera Angles...ECT. Anyone know Doc's REAL NAME BTW? I got this for the Anniversary Waltz trick that I got, but I just wanted to see his exact handling and subtelty's, and I also Own hid Impossible Opener which is just brilliant as far as the props you use.

1. All Screwed Up - I actually saw a guy do this, but with jumbo size props. I never knew if it was his, or he got it somewhere. Well, I know the answer know. This is a Kick Butt trick, and, I'm usually not into tricks with misc. items. It, done with 2 (5) nuts, and a bolt. You show three nuts, put one away, you still got three (spongeball type of routine), at the end in your fist they are found screwed on the bolt. This is a great opener as that's how he loves opening his close-up act. I rate it a (7.5).

2. Impossible Opener - THis is a great "Mentalism Trick". You show a blue deck, while you're holding a Red Prediction Card. You have anyone (NO FORCE), to just push a Card Toward you. They do, you ask them if they want to change their mind. Finally when they announce their "Happy With The Mind They Have" (ROTFLMAO!!!), you take their Card. It matches your prediction. Now most people will say all the cards are they same. THEY ARE!!! They are ALL THE SAME EXCEPT FOR THE LONE ONE CARD THEY CHOSE. This EASILY gets a (8). Actually, I should do this more.

3. The Color-Changing Deck - This has to be one of the BEST Color Changing Deck routine's, that uses a real deck. I like the Paul Curry Method on ETMCM 7 just a TINY Bit better, but I like this one as it has a Chicago Opener Type of effect. It's easy. I like his motivation for showing the faces and back as a "Color Test". This is VERY GREAT. I rate this a (8).

4. Copper/Silver/Brass Transposition - I have to dig this trick out. Don't ask me why, this like Hopping Halves, I haven't done in years. I like them both. With Hopping Halves, I just figure that people will think (and Correctly) that the coins come a****. I'll need to do it again. Actually with this trick, and Copper/Silver/Brass, (I pulled them both out of my "Magic Dresser", and the Half Dollar doesn't fit o*** the Half Dollar. I need to but that one piece if you know what I need). Anyway Doc does a terrific job. He gives you a good reason to put the coins in the hand to at the beginning. The strongest part is when a spectator hold some coins as a Transposition takes place. I like this a lot. I rate it a (8).

5. Anniversary Waltz. I originally bought this last Summer. I got it all down, except I was cutting the cards wrong the end up with the part where you show the two cards next to each other in the deck. I just skipped it (still do actually). I just wrote about this in the "Pick a Nose (I mean Card ...ROTFLMAO...lol) Card" section. The heading "What Trick(s) Have You Learned OR Bought, But Didn't Think They Were That Strong UNTIL You Did Them". Yes, I learned this trick, and for some reason, I didn't think it would Hit Strong. I WAS WRONG. People love this. I get request, do to this, and people show me after months of doing it the "FUSED" Card(s). Basically two cards that are signed fuse into one card (not two glued/taped together)BUT ONE while between the person's hands. I love it now. People TRULY, TRULY DO FREAK at this. This is the Only Trick I use the John Cornelious "Shinking Card Case". Why I'm not sure. I just carry this trick (which is essentially ungimmicked) in that Card Case. So right off their attention is grabbed. This gets a Easy (9).

6. Tearable - For some reason this trick didn't really jump out at me. I mean you really have to pay attention to get the effect. I missed it a couple of times. I think a lot of spectators might too. I mean I get it now. It just doesn't do anything for me. Who knows if I try it, I might be surprised like I was with "Anniversary Waltz". I rate it a (4-5).

7. The Cocktail Napkin Rose - This is "cute", but not my thing. It's more like Oragami. He doesn't even teach it either if I remember right. On the box it says "Worth The Price Of The Video". That has to be a joke. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty, and would be good to make for a Lady. I rate it a (3-4).

8. The Crowning Piece - This is J.C.'s Wagner's Version of Card on Ceiling. (I personally like the Ammar Method Better, as there is NO visible means the card could be help up). I like this too. I like how he uses it to "Pass The Hat" with. It's quite brilliant if you ask me. He wraps the Money, around the Deck, BUT he needs money to do that which is a Great Motivation for "Passing The Hat". This trick (whatever version) just KILLS People. It's on Most Magician, Top 5 Tricks. I rate it a (8).

9. Larry West's Bill Counting Trick - This wasn't performed for the bar, but explained. I haven't seen the explanation part of this tape in a while, BUT I remember most things. If I remember though, this trick was rather clever, but I think you got to prepare some bills. I rate it a (7).

Overall, besides a couple of minor things, I think this tape is a MUST HAVE for Close-Up workers especially those working at the Bar. He also gives you great Jokes, One-Liners, his Philosophy on Comedy, and 11 Rules of doing Magic. The Tape is Great fun too. The Audience lacks a little energy, but he sure doesn't. This would be a wise investment for sure. I haven't seen the other two. I don't even think I've seen them on Hank Lee's Shelves. I don't know what the others contain. If I see them, I'm sure I'll buy them, since I got one of the 3 Volume Set. Also the Great John Denver, Opens, and introduce's this tape. I over-all rate this tape a (7.5-8). SO BUY IT....lol !!! Ed, (Eddini).
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Wow, Ed. Thanks for that review. I, too, was considering buying this dvd because of Anniversary Waltz. But it looks like there are a lot of other great routines on there. Looks, like I'll be picking this up soon!
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Ferry H.P.
View Profile
New user
Belgium
95 Posts

Profile of Ferry H.P.
The Cocktail Napkin Rose is explained on the DVD, not as a filmed explanation, but as some pages you can browse through. (Go to the explanation menu and browse from there.)

I am also very pleased I bought this DVD as many tricks on it went straight into my repertoire. All Screwed Up, Impossible Opener, Copper/Silver/Brass, The Anniversary Waltz,...
All great effects!
Ferry H.P.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Great review. I love these tapes. I think they were among the first videos I bought and I still watch them over and over (I cant say that about many of the videos I've bought). I agree that these are "must have's".
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
Eddini - good timing - was about to purchase anyway for all screwed-up - nice to have it confirmed though Smile nice review...
catch you later

Clarioneer
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Please note the Video Version does not have an explanation of the Cocktail Napkin rose.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » My Review For Doc Eason's "Bar Magic Volume 3". (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL