The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Sankey Revolutionary Card Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jrandcc
View Profile
Regular user
New York
141 Posts

Profile of jrandcc
Hi All,

I know this topic has already been posted before, but I was wondering after everything Sankey has put out what people think of Rev. Card Magic.

I think Sankey has had some great ideas overall on his many dvds, and I'm not sure how much longer he can keep going. I was a fan of Rev.Coin magic but I feel that from 1-10 Rev. Cards would be a 2. I think he took some classics of magic and did bad with them(like cardivores)on others he took an awesome idea and put it to a less than mediocre effect(like getting two duplcate signatures and then do erdnase change). I just wanted so more opinions on this particular questions.
If this exact question has already been discussed I opologize for that.

thanks
Josh
anticoin
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of anticoin
Sankey is running out of ideas. He does have a few VERY good and strong effects, of course. But 80% is redundant, and 'not so strong'
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Well, I'm going to have say that I enjoyed ideas from Revolutionary card magic. Revolutionary coin magic was basically a collaboration of all the ideas Jay ever had with coins and people loved it! Even though it wasn't new stuff, it was "new" ideas in the way that Jay had thought them up. Revolutionary Card Magic goes beyond this in my opinion. Jay did not have anything on here that was released in his previous material. I think we need to remember that Jay's stuff is truly revolutionary. He invented the revolution count, the moves and ideas for paperclipped, the witchita slip force as well as other moves, and ideas on this set that have not been associated with card magic or magic at all until now. I personally loved Cardivores. Although it is a bit impractical, the handling is clever. Now, if you've SEEN Jay before, you'll probably figure this one out because he uses his "standard" card moves to create the effect, but the first time I ever saw him perform this was live and I was not familiar with this work. I was floored. It was so deceptive and so creative. I know I don't care for Jay's style when it comes to a lot of his card magic, but some of his stuff is ingenious. Such is the case with gems on this set such as fort knox and practice pack. I used these in my set all the time and they get killer reactions. I also enjoy tracking device and missing evidence. There is, a ton of usable stuff on there. It is not fitting for the impromptu setting no doubt, but for a show where you are able to set up... this stuff is killer.
Dann
jrandcc
View Profile
Regular user
New York
141 Posts

Profile of jrandcc
I'm sorry Dann but I have to disagree with you. I think Sankey has created some amazing things in the past but most of his work especially card work is not revolutionary. The revolution count is simply a different way to accomplish other counts from the past, the paperclip is somewhat different but the premise is old, and for routines like cardivores I felt that he demolished the effect just to end clean, and added suspicous moves and a bunch of dups.
I think Sankey's style is unique but his magic is not very revolutionary. And his work on han pin chein is nice but all variations based on a classics move of magic.

In regard to other effects tracking device is a cool viariation off of his own effects, and missing evidence is just wierd.

Josh
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Practice Pack is a great trick, esp. after Fiber Optics routine. I was fooled by Nosferatu the first time when I watched it. However, a lot of his effects in this dvd are not practical. For instance, Tracking Device, In Captivity, and Missing Evidence. It's just too many dups and preps to keep track of.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
I can understand it not being practical for some settings. If you're used to making and working with gimmicks though, it's quite practical. For instance I use "royal rivet" in my show from Revolutionary Coin Magic. Tracking Device uses the same principle. If you just create a one time gimmick, it's can be used over and over and over and it's totally examinable. Same with in Captivity. Just a one time prep is needed. It's ok to disagree with me. After all, this is really a matter of opinion, not fact. This stuff may not be for everybody and that's ok. I really like Jays ideas and did truly feel that a lot of his stuff was revolutionary in the way this it is stuff nobody else had thought of before. I mean, who else has taken a deck of cards with a shoelace through it, pulled it out of the deck and in the meantime, found two cards and pulled the holes off?! To me, his stuff is just incredible! I'd love to hear other thoughts on this. It always makes for an interesting discussion. Thanks for the input on my thoughts.
Dann
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
It is a good DVD. I enjoyed it quite a bit. He has contributed more to the magic community than a lot of others, and continues to try new things. Some stuff may get rehashed. But that happens in magic. Has anyone boycotted Michael Ammar for making card videos of items that are not his own? Nah. It's just magic guys. When Jay relaxes from making DVDs and tricks, people will slowly forget. Then a sudden urge for Sankey will come back and his stuff will be there already for people to study and enjoy. Maybe that will happen, maybe not. I am not to say. Enjoy what you can in life, and stuff you don't enjoy, ignore it. We can't trample on stuff that may benefit others. I know boycott comments are generally made jokingly, and that is fine, I just wish people wouldn't try to make a millitia out of the art. We're all in this together as a family. Consider Sankey a brother who is trigger happy with the camera record button. Soon his finger will get tired.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Sankey Revolutionary Card Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL