The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Very different reactions from Triple Prediction, why? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mouliu
View Profile
Regular user
Hongkong/Taiwan
169 Posts

Profile of mouliu
In the first magic show I watched in Hongkong, the magician played Triple Prediction. All the audience are stunned. My super skeptical friend kept asking me how he did that after the show. I returned her with a magical smile.

I'm very impressed by his performance. From him, I learn that simple trick works great if magician works right. That's why I want to incorporate it into my rountine. And then problem arouse.

Last week, I went for 3 sections of performance in a secondary school, each 30 mins. It was the second time I ran a show like this.

Much room to improve, of course. My question is, I find audience's reaction were very extreme: for those who liked it, they liked it very much and rated it top of the tricks; for those didn't, they said it dragged and boring and rated it bottom (I asked them kindly write feedback sheets for me after the shows). And sadly, the latter outnumbers the former.

How to improve? I need advices of any kind, including books/dvds to look at.

Some informations about how I did Triple Prediction:
I learnt the trick from "The Art of Magic and the Sleight of Hand". In the performance, I put it at the end. I know I've to build up a magician's image before performing a not visually attractive trick. Until the Triple Prediction, things went fine. Students loved bill in lemon and T/R card (shown on window).

I then used a patter of "the difference between magic (i.e. what they just watched) and spiritual power", put a lighted candle and an aged necklace (with bells on it) on table to create a mysterical effect. My method is the very basic one, one aXXXd and fXXXXXg a card for the "third" prediction.

Please kindly comment. I really want to know if I should incorporate it into my rountine, and/or how. Personally I appreciate the beauty of mentalism and want to explore this field.

Thanks for reading.

Happy posting.
A novice't reflection: I like watching my audience's jaws drop, but sadly in reality I'm just too busy to enjoy it. Smile
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
The thing to remember is that it was a secondary school. Do you usually perform there? Is your show targeted for that age group? Maybe the hong kong magician was doing it for all sorts of age groups.

Sure I am not trying to pre judge here but MAILY every single age group has something they love and something they don't as much. As you can tell the majority of pre teens and most teens LOVE visual magic. They also love a performer who can show them new ideals THAT THEY CARE ABOUT.

Maybe they just don't want to see mentalist at all. After all its usually concidered adult enterntainment. I guess it all comes down to age and patter.

My suggestion is to save that beautiful effect for people who might appreciate it and only perform what you feel is right for certain situations. Some peopple will adore some things more than others and that's alright. Just keep on trying to improve your patter so that as many people as possible might enjoy it.

Take care and good luck.
mouliu
View Profile
Regular user
Hongkong/Taiwan
169 Posts

Profile of mouliu
Thanks Unilogo.

The show I watched in Hongkong was a paid show. People bought tickets and were of different age groups, but mainly adults with interest in magic.

I see your point. You said,

"My suggestion is to save that beautiful effect for people who might appreciate it and only peform what you feel is right for certain situations."

It's the first time I perform in secondary school. Before I've certain chances to perform in elementary schools (of course I did NO Triple Prediction in elementary school Smile).

I think teens should be interested in supernatural power. The result not good is probably my bad. I'm thinking about the patter. Maybe, my prediction shouldn't be number and shape. Predict somethings close to their interest, such as his/her favour idol or teacher or the most talent classmate he/she thinks. I hope that may help.

And I agree that teenslove VISUAL effect.

Thanks. I'll try it again in the coming future. So, critque's keenly needed and welcome.

Thanks Unilogo.
A novice't reflection: I like watching my audience's jaws drop, but sadly in reality I'm just too busy to enjoy it. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Very different reactions from Triple Prediction, why? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL