The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » 4 Star Hotel - Interview (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

michaelrice
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
257 Posts

Profile of michaelrice
Hello Guys,
I currently work in a 4 Star Hotel as a Porter. My manager heard I was a magician and spread the word through out the hotel. Today in work I had about 7 different managers (bar, lobby, banqueting, restaurant, kids camp, ect.) come up to me and ask me to do something. Obviously because I didn't have anything with me I couldn't do anything. Later the bar manager gave me a deck of cards and I did a few bits and piece's for him, he was very impressed.

Now to make a long story short, the managers have asked me to do a little something for them in about 2 weeks. Not a show, just close-up! What I have in mind are:
- Cups and Balls
- Card Tricks
- Sponge Balls or Rabbits
- Pothole

This will make me or break me, so I need suggestions. Please!!! I will either be given a job in the kids camp doing shows twice a week or in the restaurant.

Then in about a month I will have a second interview, so if you could suggest any tricks for this (and restaurant of course) that would be great!

Do you recommend any good tricks, books, card tricks, coin tricks, DVD's, ect? I appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Mike
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
Sounds fantastic. Lot's of luck. I suggest that you do not learn new tricks for the tryout. Do the things you know best and get the best reactions with. The magic you know will take you to the next level.

Start looking at new material for later on when you already have the job.

My best wishes for success.

Allan
michaelrice
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
257 Posts

Profile of michaelrice
Thank you!
Yes, I will do the things I know and get the best reactions with. Some of which I listed above.

''Start looking at new material for later on when you already have the job.''

That is what I need a few suggestions on. And any bit of advice - Do's and don'ts.

Mike~
magicduro
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
529 Posts

Profile of magicduro
Duh! Search the site!!!!
sinnead zenun
View Profile
Elite user
Mt. Makiling
408 Posts

Profile of sinnead zenun
Of course magicduro he can search the site... but there are plenty out there some are good, some are bad, and some are best... what are we here for "magicians helping magicians"

well michelrice try this one... http://www.oldeworldmagick.com/
look for the walk around wizard... goodluck Smile
mouliu
View Profile
Regular user
Hongkong/Taiwan
169 Posts

Profile of mouliu
Mike,

I second that you shouldn't learn new trick at the moment. Build a rountine with what you can already manage well.

Be sure doing as many pilot performance as you can before you execute your rountine in the restaurant and interview. Make a note after each pilot performance, polish your rountine and you'll be more confident when you "play for real".

Good luck.
A novice't reflection: I like watching my audience's jaws drop, but sadly in reality I'm just too busy to enjoy it. Smile
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
For do's & don'ts, pick up a copy of The manual of restaurant magic & Standing up surrounded by Kirk Charles. It is possible that both are now in one book but you must check. The other title book I think worth looking out is The Restaurant workers handbook by Jim Pace. These three titles will give you all you need to know about working in restaurants. The rest comes with experience.

Lots of luck.

Allan
KidMagic87
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of KidMagic87
For bar work...check out Doc Eason's DVDs. They're awesome, and the doesn't necessarily have to be used in a bar setting.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
As Pete might say, Do what you know, and what you do well. I agree with him on that note, and in my opinion, if you can do a descent final load in a cups and balls routine, then you got them!

Whatever happens, Good Luck!
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
whitefish
View Profile
New user
UK London
30 Posts

Profile of whitefish
Do Jay sankey's classified right at the end of the interview, its not really something you can add to your show but it'll make an impression on the hotel managers...
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
For the Kids Camp show I suggest you get Dan Harlan's "Pack small Play big Kid's show" and Bill Abbott Performs Standup for kids ( His closeup Dvd is great also ) . Harlan's is a full 30 minute show that involves the audience and packs in to a briefcase. If you can develop a routine like Abbott's chico the mind reading monkey you will slay them . Check out your handy copy of Mark Wilson Complete course on magic and you will have material to last years..
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
michaelrice
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
257 Posts

Profile of michaelrice
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will look into some of the books mentioned, but I am curious as to see what you commonly perform just to get an idea of what might suit me. I understand one thing that might suit you may not suit me, but the only way to find out is experience.

So any suggestions on what tricks you commonly use are welcome!

Mike ~
astoundingbruce
View Profile
Regular user
Burlington, WI (USA)
127 Posts

Profile of astoundingbruce
Quote:
On 2005-06-13 13:48, Michaelrice wrote:
I am curious as to see what you commonly perform just to get an idea of what might suit me. So any suggestions on what tricks you commonly use are welcome!
Mike ~

I agree with those who suggest you not learn any new material until after you get the job.
Having said that, I often perform the card effect "Further Than That." It resets easily (or you can use it to open a series of card routines) and it blows laymen away!

Best of luck! Smile
“There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Get that Kirk Charles book on restaurant and walk-around magic. It's worth it's weight in gold!
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Quote:
On 2005-06-11 18:47, Michaelrice wrote:
Obviously because I didn't have anything with me I couldn't do anything...

Michael,
Having nothing with you is not a reason for not doing magic. I suggest you get Gregory Wilson's "Off the Cuff" and "On the Spot" videos. There are a lot of impromptu magic you can learn from these videos, so that next time somebody asks you to do a trick for them you won't have to decline and say that you don't have your stuff with you.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » 4 Star Hotel - Interview (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL