The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » I watched "funny bones" last night (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Ok. I forget which one of you told me to rent "funny bones"
the movie but I did.

Not bad. The old guys had a very touching act and quite humorous too.

The moves the one guy did with his hat (a bowler) were fantastic.
I was really hoping for a plate juggling restaurant scene.
Either I fell asleep during that part (and I did fall asleep cuz I watched it late),
or they only hinted that they were going to do one.

Anyway I liked the movie. Much different than what I expected but good nonetheless.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Zack
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Zack
I was one of the guys who recommneded it. Its a fantastic movie. Unfortunately, its too long. Really stupidly so...there's a lot of dead weight that could be cut. (I can see why your fell asleep) But the good parts are really brilliant. The plate juggling's terrific.

My other picks are "Leap of Faith" and "Hannussen".
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
An excellent which I first saw in the theatre andpurchased when I found it on DVD. I have no problem with the length or content of the film but then I don't play Nintendo or watch music videos so I still have an attention span.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

So are you telling me there IS a plate juggling scene?
I saw them catch 1 plate and I saw them toss 1 plate.
That's it?

I will re-watch if someone tells me "Frank, you missed it. Re-watch".
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Frank, you missed it. Re-watch. Smile

That movie has the only commercially available footage of George Carl in action. Mr. Carl is considered to be one of the greatest clowns/physical comedians that has ever been. It is sad that Mr. Carl was at the end of his run and in pretty poor health when that film was made. Although, he could still do a standing back flip at 75 years old.

Mr. Carl was also a great friend and mentor to Charlie Frye. Charlie attributes as couple of his bits/stunts to Mr. Carl on his Eccentricks tapes.

I have been hunting for more footage of Mr. Carl for a looooong time now and haven't turned up anything. If any of you guys know of anything that is available please shoot me a pm with the info.

I thought it was a great flick.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Which one was george carl?
sorry for being stupid.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
George Carl was one of the great genius acts of all time. I tried several times to book him but he was always booked up years in advance.

He was very close to Norm Nielsen.

His 5 minutes trying to get a microphone adjusted is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Frank: He doesn't do ANYTHING... but make audiences laugh so hard they can't control themselves.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
The best thing IMHO about the flick is Jerry's speach about people and funny. Some people can speak funny, tell a joke, etc. Other people are born funny, they have funny bones. George Carl had funny funny bones. That Lee Evans has some funny bones too. Reminds me of a young Andy Griffith, in looks that is.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
I,m pretty sure many years ago I saw Mr. Carl perform his act in a review show in Las Vegas.

I recall the mic cord tangle, the hat tossing and catching, the walking down the stairs, and the going down an elevator behind a couch.

Was this his act? It was probably around 1985.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
That was him! You probably saw him at the Tropicana in "Folies Bergere."
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Didn't he do a spot on the Sullivan show once?

I just did a Google search on George Carl. He was in a BBC show called "Doddy" that aired in 1982.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
rogueclown
View Profile
Veteran user
Hollywood
320 Posts

Profile of rogueclown
I just saw some old footage of him on an old Johnny Carson tape. He is FUNNY!! His thumb stretch gag is a hoot.
Rogueclown
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I love that movie...i named by business after it!
isaacfawlkes
View Profile
Loyal user
FL
256 Posts

Profile of isaacfawlkes
I think he also did a spot on one of the New Vaudville Special that aired on The Disney Channel a few years ago. Turk Pipkin, Harry Anderson, The Raspinni Brothers and a bunch of other vaudville acts were featured. If you can find them they were wounderful.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » I watched "funny bones" last night (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL