The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Shows for friends (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
582 Posts

Profile of Tony S
It's probably happened to all of us at one time or another. A friend asks you to do a show for a party they are having. How do you handle this situation? Do you accept or decline? If you accept do you charge them for the show, give them a discount, or do the show for free?

This happened to me recently and I did the show for my friend in return for a testimonial - he happens to be a very good friend and was best man at my wedding. More recently, a coworker asked me to do a show at her daughter's birthday party. I gave her a great price, but she declined. I think she wanted the show for free. In any event, I was just curious as to other people's thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Tony
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
RideorDie99
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of RideorDie99
I charge my co-workers a price about $50 less then my regular asking price. But I do charge them I don't do the show for free and I get a testimonial. I've done it for cheaper for closer friends but I always ask for a testimonial. For Family I do the show for free...You can't charge close family members unless you guys don't get along... that's how I handle it anyway.
STOP DROP SHUT THEM DOWN AND OPEN UP SHOP
durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
402 Posts

Profile of durgy
Whats a testimonial?
https://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
How low will you go and feel like you have gotten something out of it??
Do you do this just on the side?
Co-works have this bad nack at thinking since you have a real day job the things you do on the weekend are fun for you, so they think you should be free.
I say Nay Nay
Let them now that this is apart of your monthly income and that they are getting a good deal. if they are smart they will look in the phone book and call a few magicians and if you priced yourself correctly they should be running back to you and if not & they don't like it they can go fly a kite...
Friends and I mean true friends such as a best man for a wedding type why Charge? it wont kill you at the bank, and if it does kill you at the bank maybe you shouldn't be doing this for a living.
cheers chris
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
582 Posts

Profile of Tony S
Chris,
I guess one of the things I was interested in finding out is where other people draw the line. I would never charge my family or close friends for doing a show - but I'll get a testimonial out of them!

I gave a great deal to my coworker and she declined - that's fine as it is her money. I wasn't going to do the show for free because she is not a close friend. So for me, I will do a free show for close family and friends, or give a discount to acquaintances or coworkers. I was hoping to find out what other people do.

Tony
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
Lord of Illusion
View Profile
Veteran user
Has his enemies stuck on
310 Posts

Profile of Lord of Illusion
Quote:
On 2005-06-15 03:21, durgy wrote:
Whats a testimonial?

Testimonials are those wonderful letters that say how great you are. They are worth 10 times their weight in platinum. And always keep the originals on file. Ya never know when someone will want to see one in whole, not just a pull quote.

Azrael
Edward Wolfgang Poe,

The Necromancer of the South
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I either do them for free for full price. I am either there as a professional or as friend. NEVER both. I've done too many show for a small amount where the 'friend' or 'charity' feels like they own you because they've spent a little money.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Shows for friends (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL