The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Why would you want to be a magician? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I was talking to a friend of mine the other day about this. He's a pretty good magician but he's fairly new to it so he's kind of a magic student of mine. I basically give him advice whenever I see something he might need help with or give him a hand when learning new things. He's a very good entertainer already.

Anyway, we where talking about why we liked being a magician. Then the discussion turned to other people we know who got into magic for a short period of time but lost interest after a while. The discussion became kind of interesting.

I think there are basically three reasons someone might be interested in becoming a magician. I know there are many other reasons but I feel that these three are what most of them come down to.

The secret seeker
We magicians usually dislike these people who only get interested in magic because they want to learn the secrets of the tricks they see other magicians do. Sometimes I feel it is a bad thing but not always. Not everyone who is just interested in learning how things are done are intending to hurt or discredit the art. Some people just like to solve mysteries and find answers for their own piece of mind. It kind of makes me think of a scientist trying to solve a mystery.

In my experience those who get into magic for the sake of learning the secrets usually don't last to long. What happens is they find out the secrets really aren't all that mysterious or even difficult. Many people think magicians have some kind of highly guarded inner circle that won't let non-magicians in to learn our secrets. WE like to think we have some kind of guard against secret seekers but we really don't. So when they learn a few secrets and maybe even master them. They get bored when they realize that it's all sleights, smoke and mirrors. So they loose that hunger to learn more.

Another reason they might loose interest is that they find out that knowing the methods are only a small part of being a magician. They just wanted to be able to do what other magicians can do. The problem is they won't be able to do it here and now. They expect to be able to do it the moment they learn the method. They want it to happen with a wave of a wand and they aren't interested in learning how to be a showman.

The know it all
Now, this might seem like a description of the secret seekers but as I said before. Not all secret seekers are trying to take anything away from the art. The know it all will want to learn magic simply to make themselves feel smarter and more talented then others. While I'm all for people learning a trick or stunt to make their friends laugh or to break the ice when meeting people. Even showing off (For friends) isn't always a bad thing. There are some people out there who just want to fool people for their own benefit though. It's pretty sad if you think about it. It would take someone will very low self esteem to feel they have to put others down to make themselves feel better about themselves. I'm glad to say we don't see to many of these people in magic because they don't stick with it long enough to master anything. Well, we do seem them unfortunately because they have given magic a bad name in the minds of some people. They just don't hang around long enough to really go very far with it.

Satisfaction from Reaction
I think this reason for becoming a magician is where most of us who sick with it are. We feed of the reactions our spectators give. It's not so much about the methods as is it about the reaction our methods receive. We're not satisfied when we learn a new trick. We're most satisfied when we master it then go out and see what kind of reaction it gets. If the trick is supposed to be funny then we aren't happy unless it gets a laugh. If it's supposed to be astonishing we don't feel we've succeeded until we've got a gasp or even a scream. If it's supposed to be emotional we hope to see some tears in their eyes. While this can be viewed as selfish I feel it's a great thing to crave the acceptance and reaction of others. In some ways it's like saying we don't feel we've done a good job unless we've given someone something and their reaction is our payment for our work and practice.

Having said all this. It is possible for someone to abuse being a part of this category (in my opinion anyway). Just because we desire their reaction doesn't mean the reaction we aim to place on them is a good thing. We could just as easily cause them to feel sad, angry or even make them feel "like a fool." I quoted that because some people feel magicians do desire to make others feel stupid. I only hope that more magicians who are a part or this Satisfaction from Reaction category will use it to bring some joy to people so there won't be as many of the other two categories I mentioned above who are probably the ones those who feel negative about magicians have experienced.

Well, I just thought I'd bring this topic up. I'm sure there are a lot of angles to look at it from.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Neat stuff. Why would anybody want to be a magician?

I'll tell you that I am an Information Hound. You'll probably tell me that I'm a Know-It-All...eventually. I get A LOT of Satisfaction from Reaction. And I'll add one more.

I read the Doug Henning's interview with MAGIC magazine, the one published shortly before he died. In this interveiw, he spoke of his experiences with the Aleut Indians. His experience was published twice by MAGIC, and I have both copies. The information he shared with us can be considered GOLD. Here's why.

The Aleuts were kind enough (their very nature!) to remind Henning of why he wanted to be a magician, and why he was on his chosen path. They helped him remember that, many times, our people have forgotten the magic. Our people have forgotten the magic that exits all the time in everything we do. Doug Henning's chosen path was to remind our people of the magic that still exists in our world.

I just can't think of any better reasons to do magic than this. None.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2005-06-21 00:18, Patrick Differ wrote:
The Aleuts were kind enough (their very nature!) to remind Henning of why he wanted to be a magician, and why he was on his chosen path. They helped him remember that, many times, our people have forgotten the magic. Our people have forgotten the magic that exits all the time in everything we do. Doug Henning's chosen path was to remind our people of the magic that still exists in our world.

I just can't think of any better reasons to do magic than this. None.

I'm with you 100% on this one. The few times I saw Doug perform he had this sense of wonder, of discovery, like a little kid finding his first firefly or bird's nest, that was incredible. Although I didn't care for his on-stage persona, I have to admit he had a gift for pulling us into the magic of just being alive.

Kinda reminds me of Walter Kronkite, during one of the early Mercury liftoffs, commenting, right on camera, "By golly, will you look at that." Forget the countdown, forget the payload, forget the thrust, forget the mission, forget the rocket scientists and Kennedy's "challenge." Here's this huge thing taking off, defying gravity, leaving earth and going up into space...

That's magic.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
I only wanted to stay in magic
because it was something I
grew up with it and just loved
it.

its the same reason's why I love
being a professional musician.

passion.

the only thing is that magic wasn't
creative enough for me to pursue.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Very insiteful, Ron. Interesting possibilities, human motivation has long been an interest of mine, don't think I ever applied it to why someone went into magic or stayed or left. I'd agree with the three you mentioned, I'm sure there are a lot more. My own introduction into magic came at such an early age, I honestly can't tell you for sure what the motivation was. It wasn't secret seeking, at the time I thought magic was real. I spent hours with my first set of cups and balls trying to find trap doors, figure out how the molecules passed through each other, etc. before reading the instructions. I remember I honestly, at that age, believed the balls somehow passed through the cup.
While the actual motivation and idea probably came much later in my life, I'd say that one of the strong motivators to me was a desire to understand why people were so quick to believe illusions. To this day, as a psychologist, I deal with large numbers of people who are quick to believe their own self created delusions, and buy into self justification, humanistic reasoning, and accept as fact the many delusions of others and illusions others cast about in the world.
I've always found this particular motivation facinating as a student of psychology, and frustrating as a therapist. As Socrates stated, "the unexamined life isn't worth living", yet I find far too many people totally unwilling to examine much of anything in their life.
What keeps me in magic today is simply the facination with the almost infinite number of ways any effect can be modified and presented. I spend hours entertaining myself with trying to do something different with the effects I already know. I could care less about audience reaction, I know the principles of magic well, so certainly not a secret seeker, it is rare I can't figure out several ways to do a given effect. And if there is one thing I know, it is that I don't know much of any of it, let alone know it all.
I'd have to agree,though, that your three motivators would certainly apply to a large number of people's initial curiosity into the art of magic.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
Why would you want to be a magician?

Keep the mind and hands busy. Have a socially safe reason to interact with others. Love putting smiles on faces. Keeps me from spending all my money on drugs & alcohol.
Might actually put a few dollars in the ol' pocket.

Great analysis Ron. You really break it down nicely. I especially agree with the "make them feel like a fool" angle. Some effects in the hands of the wrong personality (mine) can come off that way unsuspectingly. I've learned to examine the set up and delivery of certain stuff to avoid this I-Win-You-Lose trap.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is something in magic for everyone. For the guy who likes to collect toys -- there is collecting. For the historian, there is a fascinating study. For the performer, there is, well, performing.

A lot of the collectors I see at the MCA convention are retired performers.

I used to relish the idea of making people look like idiots. I soon learned this was a dead end for a performer, at least for me. I prefer now to create a sense of wonder in people and to show them that anything they wish for is attainable, if they just work at it hard enough.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
When the time comes that you either trust your feeling about what you perceive and explore the world, or just go with the herd and live as they do... you get to choose. Either the magic is a part of your choices or not. Up to you. Magicians choose to attend those feelings and subtle observations about the world.

Have a look in Neil Gaiman's The Books of Magic for the fairy tale version.

You did ask about becoming a magician right? You mean an entertainer who portrays magical events for the audience? Okay, That's more a theater question along the lines of becoming an actor. There, the usual HONEST response involves both the enjoyment of playing the part and the enjoyment from watching and feeling others relate to the pretend world created on stage. Very similar to what several honest magicians have discussed. This brings us to the Robert-Houdin quote.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
parrot10269
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh
2 Posts

Profile of parrot10269
Interesting topic Jaxon. What I love best about performing magic is the wonderful reactions you get from people. To me there is nothing better in the world than performing an illusion and getting that look of total astonishment from someone. It's a great feeling knowing that you were able to perform a small miracle and suspend reality for a just a little while.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
The other day something happened that kind of fits this discussion. I'm sure many of you have had similar experiences. I was just out with a few friends at a bar. We where mainly there to watch the basketball play off game. Anyway after the game I did a little casual performing. One of the tricks I did was simply vanishing a cigarette (T-tip). This guy kept bugging me because he wanted to pay me to teach him how to do it. I eventually told him what I tell anyone who shows interest in magic. I direct them to the local magic shop or tell them to pick up a magic book. Once they do that I'd be happy to help them with what ever they pick up. But the guy kept pushing. I told him that even if I tell him how it's done he'll have to go to the magic shop and pick something up anyway. That even if I showed him he won't be able to do it until he gets what he needs. He kept pushing that he wanted to learn right now. He seemed like a nice guy and he wasn't exactly rude. He was just pushing a little to hard. So I finally said:

Quote:
OK, I'll tell you how it's done now but like I said even after I tell you how you still won't be able to do it. Are you sure you want to pay me even though you won't be able to do it? I mean I'm being honest with you and it's your choice. But I urge you to go to the magic shop and tell them what you want to learn because it'll cost you a lot less then what I'd charge you now. If you want me to show you now it'll cost you $50! Just remember, you still won't be able to do it yet.

He searched his wallet and said he didn't have that much on him. I didn't budge and take $40..Smile

I wonder if he'll go to the magic shop and find out it only costs about $5 to get a T-tip.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
I used to have that problem with that trick when I started performing. I suggest you re-think some ways to present/frame it, or at least what you do with their attention, so that the 'secret' is not the main focus.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are some people who absolutely MUST know the secret of any trick you do. They offer money and all sorts of other enticements. I just tell them, "No."

If they say, "I just HAVE to know how it's done," I reply, "or what?"
And I go to the next table.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
My sister, unfortunately, is one of those people. Absolutely drives me NUTS to perform in front of her. And every time I visit (a couple of times a year) she begs me to "do magic" and then constantly harangues me to tell her how it's done. She doesn't want to be a magician, she just can't stand not knowing how it's done. Doesn't matter how non-challenging or how charming the presentation--she just hates not knowing. I just try not to perform anything when she's around.

The weird part is that she's really a sweetheart otherwise.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I like being a magician because it is fun and you get to meet some very interesting people.

I remember performing close up magic in the Boomtown saloon in Evanston WO. And I was doing a table performing close up magic with a several hot woman. One or two had boyfriends that were playing pool. Well they got into the magic and one of them wanted me to teach her some card tricks.

She said that if I could teacher her some magic I could go home with her and she would show me a real good time.

So I looked at my shoulder angel on my right shoulder and he said - magicians never tell the secrets.

Then on my left side my shoulder devil appeared - and he said - your nuts she is a fox - show her the card tricks - tell her how Copperfield vanishes the statue of liberty if she wants to know. Go home with her man.

Then I looked at my shoulder angel on my right shoulder - and he said - real magicians don't tell the secrets. And he vanished!

So I looked at her and said - Sorry magicians don't tell secrets.

And then the shoulder devil said - you moron - and vanished!

And I never had that problem again.

Pull the lever Cronk!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Ha! Ha! Ha! Those are great stories!
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2005-06-23 21:05, bishthemagish wrote:
I like being a magician because it is fun and you get to meet some very interesting people.

I remember performing close up magic in the Boomtown saloon in Evanston WO. And I was doing a table performing close up magic with a several hot woman. One or two had boyfriends that were playing pool. Well they got into the magic and one of them wanted me to teach her some card tricks.

She said that if I could teacher her some magic I could go home with her and she would show me a real good time.

So I looked at my shoulder angel on my right shoulder and he said - magicians never tell the secrets.

Then on my left side my shoulder devil appeared - and he said - your nuts she is a fox - show her the card tricks - tell her how Copperfield vanishes the statue of liberty if she wants to know. Go home with her man.

Then I looked at my shoulder angel on my right shoulder - and he said - real magicians don't tell the secrets. And he vanished!

So I looked at her and said - Sorry magicians don't tell secrets.

And then the shoulder devil said - you moron - and vanished!

And I never had that problem again.

Pull the lever Cronk!

You should have asked yourself, "What would Vernon have done?" Smile
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I don't know but my shoulder angel and my shoulder devil look a lot like Charlie Miller.

Glenn
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Hey, who said I wanted to become a magician. I studied the mundane stuff, got degrees in mundane stuff... even do QUALITY ASSURANCE for pete's sake... but the dreams and images come anyway. What else to do then?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Why would you want to be a magician? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL