The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » A big moon, or a little moon? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stephen Buxton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Stephen Buxton
There's an interesting article about an optical illusion that has never been fully explained... is the moon really bigger when low in the horizon compared to when it is high in the sky?

bbc.co.uk

Enjoy!
If you put an infinite number of apes in front of an infinite number of computers, you get a pretty good idea of what internet chat rooms can be like
blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
Mayby there closer.
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
Actually, I don't know where this article gets it's info, but I'm almost sure its been proven that the moon looks bigger when it's rising because your eye compares it with the horizon, when it's in the sky, there's nothing to compare it to. actually, if you take a quarter when the moon is rising, and hold it up to your eye, and then move it away from your eye until it covers the moon, and measure the distance from your hand to your eye, then do the same thing when the moon is high in the sky, your hand will be the same distance from your eye as before. it's rather interesting how your eyes play tricks on you.
**--snap--**
juggling1
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
196 Posts

Profile of juggling1
Interesting to see this posted. I had never herad anyone talk about this before and just the other day proposed the question to some friends.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Cool experiment: Hold your digital camera, video camera, or even picture cell phone towards the moon, and look to see if the lens is also fooled.....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Moon illusion explained HERE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » A big moon, or a little moon? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL