The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Freaks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Wow, what a great movie, I just finished watching it for the third time...Todd great job on the movie extras...
If you would like, if you see this great film by Tod Browning please review it!
Thanks!
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1357 Posts

Profile of handa
Where can we find the edition w/ all of the extras included?

Chris
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Back in the old days "Freaks" was half of a double feature it played with "Terror in tiny town" which was a midget cowboy movie, and on a Friday night the third feature at midnight was "Pink Flamingoes" a very strange movie I won't get into. I loved to go to the movies back in the 60's, but my memory of that whole decade seems to be a bit fuzzy.
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Haa, that's funny that the whole 60's era was fuzzy...my mom says the same thing!
Where to find Freaks on DVD:
I rented it at my local library
I bought it at Super Target
You can get it on Amazon

Freaks film by Tod Browning
made in 1932
Blog:
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
"If you remember the 60's, you weren't there. Being in the sideshow side of the business, I had the honor of meeting and/or working with a couple of them. Minny, (Koo-Koo the bird girl) used to visit our show...
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Wow, that is great I think that I was born in the wrong era... I would have loved to meet these amazing people...well I did meet jonny Eck but I was very young, and had no clue why my dad was talking to a strange man...but that a totaly different story!
Blog:
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
I was privileged to work with most of the great Human Anomalies. I like to think that the late 40's and 50's were the best time for the real sideshows.
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Slim,

I've read many conflicting comments on Minny (Koo Koo); you can undoubtedly clear them up.

The two I'm curious about were the assertions that she was: 1) blind and, 2) mentally challenged.

What's the truth on her?

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
She was very nearly blind but coped well... As far as her mentality, I think it was more an act, but she could have been challenged... Back then, a lot of the Anomalies were not educated...If you were with it, you didn't notice. You ,and they were family in a way that transcends today's polite noises...
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1357 Posts

Profile of handa
I finally got my hands on the edition with the documentary and other extras. Unfortunately, the "lost ending" that is a bit more graphic and leaves less to the imagination as to the fates of both of the antagonists is still lost, but the rest of the extras are great.

Of particular note is the documentary, which prominently features a couple of familiar faces. The documentary goes into details of the production as well as brief biographies of the real-life circus and sideshow performers who are the show.

I also laid my hands on a few extra copies, unviewed and still in the shrink wrap. See the "DVD's for Sale or Trade" section for details.

Chris
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
Great film!! I'm fairly young, but I did get to see some great sideshows when I was a kid......I really miss the real ones....I remember hanging out with this one black guy who rolled cigarettes with almost no arms or legs....I remember being amazed at his ability and it actually taught me a lot about our opinions and limitations.....I thought, "if he can do that, I can do anything".........Great guy and a great memory.....they had the electric girl, girl in the sword box (for an extra fee you get to see the way she does it!), the headless lady ( REMEMBER THAT ONE!), man into gorilla (everyone running out scared to death!).....$%#@ I miss those days!
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
On 2006-01-02 03:18, T-RAY wrote:
I remember hanging out with this one black guy who rolled cigarettes with almost no arms or legs....I remember being amazed at his ability and it actually taught me a lot about our opinions and limitations.....I thought, "if he can do that, I can do anything".........Great guy and a great memory.....

That guy was Otis Jordan. You probably saw the Kelly/Sutton sideshow on the James E. Strates Carnival, or saw Otis when he worked with us out in Coney Island.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
And if it was the Kelly/Sutton sideshow, I now own that blade box.

Todd
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Wallace Ford starred in the movie and he was Houdini expert Pat Culliton's uncle.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
I saw him down south....... North Carolina or South Carolina. Thanks for giving his name.....I can still see that blade box in my mind, so that's pretty #$%@ cool that you own it!!!!!!!!!
Cadabra
View Profile
New user
NYC
58 Posts

Profile of Cadabra
Quote:
On 2005-07-01 22:47, juggleral wrote:
Back in the old days "Freaks" was half of a double feature it played with "Terror in tiny town" which was a midget cowboy movie, and on a Friday night the third feature at midnight was "Pink Flamingoes" a very strange movie I won't get into. I loved to go to the movies back in the 60's, but my memory of that whole decade seems to be a bit fuzzy.
Al

Terror in Tiny Town is also available on DVD...It's hilarious because unlike the Herzog film "Even Dwarves Stared Small" a serious film to which the sets where built to dwarf size, the bulk of some scenes from Terror in Tiny Town are hilariously wasted on the tiny terrors trying to climb up in a chair or scale a bar stool. On the other hand the musical numbers are fantastic!
"It has always amazed and baffled me that audiences will wait patiently in line and pay good money to have the wits scared out of them." - William Castle

www.albertcadabra.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ah yes the memory of the dwarf dancehall girls, and they all rode their tiny little ponies into the sun set, but I do not remember much more of that decade.
OK BACK TO REALITY
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Freaks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL