The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic Class (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
I did my first magic class on Thursday, and it went quite well. I've got quite a few booked for the next two months, so the first few will really give me a good idea which tricks are being enjoyed the most. I was surprised at how much they liked the two-card monte.

The biggest surprise came at the end. After doing a 45-minute regular magic show, and then a 45-minute magic class, I asked them which trick they enjoyed the most. Was it the amazing Miser's Dream, or the rousing Coloring Book routine, or the hilarious antics of Benny the Bunny? Nope, none of those. Their unanimous favorite was the final thing I taught them in the magic class -- how to make a balloon dog! They all thought that was absolutely the best.

The amazing power of a simple balloon animal! Who would've thunk it. Smile

Brian
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
The biggest thing about teaching kids magic is to keep the effect simple so that you end up EMPOWERING the child and not getting them dissapointed. The sudden feeling that they can do it, is a powerful insentive to keep them involved in the class and eventually maybe pursue it as a hobby.

I have enjoyed and had the honor of teaching children magic with the SYM program in Philadelphia for over 11 years now and I can tell you it has been the most rewarding experience of my life. When you see those kids become empowered with magic, it is a great experience for them and for you. I encourage anyone to teach if they can. Give back to magic what magic gave to you, and steer them in the right direction.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
I often find the balloon section of my show is the biggest hit. When the children are slightly older (say about 7ish) I always ask if there are any children who would like to learn how to make a balloon animal. They alway love it! You never know, you maybe starting off a new career for them! Some of them have a real talent for it.
Mark
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Balloon animal classes are also a great way to involve the parents at the party as well. Rather than sitting on the sidelines, they can actively assist the younger kids in making the balloon animals. In my experience, the adults often have just as much fun as the kids when making these animals (and remember, it's the adults who make the bookings).

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Brian,

Congratulations! I'm so glad it was a great success. Was this a library or birthday?

I recently did a small birthday magic class for just 6 kids. Afterwards, I was able to ask them individually which trick they liked best. Amazingly, each child mentioned a different trick!

By the way, did you give each child a coloring book, or did you sell them after?

Best,
James
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
People are always amazed with balloon animals and are usually always impressed with th artist of the sculptures. It isn't as hard as it looks, but people make it out to be. Therefore it looks like a difficult task being performed. When somebody is taught how to do it, and they master it (even just a 3 twist dog) they feel great and have the feeling that they accomplished something that was hard to do.
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Quote:
On 2005-07-05 11:06, James Munton wrote:
Brian,

Congratulations! I'm so glad it was a great success. Was this a library or birthday?

By the way, did you give each child a coloring book, or did you sell them after?

It was at a Child care facility. The majority of my shows take place at Daycares and After School Care centres, and all of my summer classes are at these centres.

Because of the facilities I work in, I've not done any BOR sales yet. But I do give them all either a magic coloring sheet (with my info), or a Mystery Dollar.

I noticed from your dvd that BOR sales can be a very profitable side business with the magic classes. Will have to look into this further in the fall.

Brian

PS. The kids loved Mr. Baggee. I really thought it was a lame trick at first. When I showed it to my wife, she thought it was cute, but guessed how it was done. When I showed it to my 15 year-old daughter, she loved it, and asked me how it was done! That's when I knew it was a hit. And it was. Smile
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
I'm glad you used Mr. Baggee. I love that trick!

Yes, BOR can add a significant amount of income, but you can only sell stuff to kids when the parents are present - libraries, school family nights, fairs, etc.

However, you can also increase your income at other venues by offering items as a "Deluxe" option. For example the daycare center can book your show and magic class and if they want to spend an extra $50 every child gets a magic coloring sheet and mystery dollar complete with the daycare center's advertising info...

That way, the daycare center makes sure the parents realize all the great things they do...like book you!

And if they don't want to pay the extra $50 you can still hand out the stuff (without the daycare info.) so the kids take home your advertising materials!

Best,
James
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic Class (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL