The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Magic magazine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheFish727
View Profile
New user
Tarzana CA
96 Posts

Profile of TheFish727
I am planing to get a subscription to a magic magazine, and I was wondering which people considered to be the best at this time
TheFish727
View Profile
New user
Tarzana CA
96 Posts

Profile of TheFish727
Sorry if this is in the wrong area of the Café, I did not know where to post it
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
If you are considering which Magazine is the best, well it si a toss up between the Genii and Magic Magazine.

I love the colorful pictures, and lots of them which Magic magazine is noted for.

The Genii, has Osborne Illusions every other month. If they were going I might consider dropping that subscription and Keeping Magic Magazine, but since I do love magic I get them both along with MUM (SAM Magazine), and The Linking Ring (IBM Magazine).

Now since I do lots of Children shows, the most pratical and useful to me is Samuel Smith Funny Paper Magazine. It is a must have if one does children shows. Unfortunately, it is an every other month magazine.

Also I sunscribe to Haunted Attraction which is focused on Halloween attractions and I find there are some cool artlies in that I could use for stage effects, and a Halloween Spooktacular Show. (Every other month too!)

This might belong under Tricky Business because Magic Magazines are deductable on income tax as self-improvement educational expense.
Dennis Michael
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
In terms of skill level and ability, MAGIC tends to be for people of all abilities, while Genii has a tendency to focus on the more advanced magician.

In terms of content, MAGIC is the magic world's version of People magazine, while Genii would be more akin to TIME.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
For whatever it's worth, this year I am dropping Magic Magazine and trying out Genii. I find I tend to let M.U.M. & the Linking Ring and Magic Magazine accumulate, so adding another would be inappropriate. I think the comparison to People Magazine and Magic Magazine is a good one. I haven't subscribed to Genii since Richard Kaufman has taken over, but I do buy one at a Magic shop occasionally.

The "problem" with Genii is that there's always so much good material it's NEVER a fast read!
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
My favorite magazines are The Linking Ring, M.U.M., Genii, Magic and The Funny Paper (www.thefunnypaper.com...tell Sammy I sent ya!)...not necessarily in that order. I can't imagine anyone seriously into magic not subscribing to the first four and anyone serious about peforming for kids and families not subscribing to the last. And now with the new British magazine on the stands...I look forward to every issue and consider the cost the price of staying current & informed in the field. Of course, my wife cuts out all of the dealers' ads before she hands me my copy of Genii and Magic. I get even by making her shop at Victoria's Secret wearing a blindfold.

:o) Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Nightmare Weaver
View Profile
New user
The Shadows
62 Posts

Profile of Nightmare Weaver
I like both Magic and Genii, but I would give the nod to Magic Magazine if I could only choose one.
In the shadows, just on the edge of your nightmares. That's where you'll find me.
munch1215
View Profile
New user
California
77 Posts

Profile of munch1215
This is for TheFish727
Since you are just starting to learn the art of magic, I think the best magic magazine for you would be Genii. I have a lot of beginner freinds and they all say it has has helped them a lot.
Look deep within yourself for inspiration
TheFish727
View Profile
New user
Tarzana CA
96 Posts

Profile of TheFish727
Wow thank you all for your help I think I am leaning toward Genii.Then I will subsribe to others. and sorry munch, but I am nowhere near a beginner in the world of magic, I have been doing magic for 10 years and I am a member of the magic castle but thanks any
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Well, it might have been a toss up a couple of months ago between MAGIC and Genii but not that Michael Close isn't reviewing for MAGIC and DAvid Acer is writing Magicanna for Genii the scales have tipped in the favor of Genii.

But I'd still check out MAGIC every month... this months issue has two killer effects by Paul Cummins. His "Punken Droker" (drunken poker...) is easy to do and kicks SERIOUS butt. He posted this to a private BBS I belong to some months back and boy were we sad to see it get out.
markhammagi
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of markhammagi
I would say that the main difference (for me) between Genii and MAGIC, is the depth of the reviews, plus the skill level of the routines taught.

Genii's reviewers generally go into more depth than MAGIC - Jamy Ian Swiss has been known to devote up to six pages of commentary on a single book. Even though the reviews section of MAGIC now has more than one reviewer (for 10 years all the reviews were done by Mike Close, in what is surely one of the greatest feats of processing information), I still find that Genii's reviewers will go into a lot more depth than MAGIC.

With regards to the tricks that are taught in each issue, I have found that Genii's tricks are a lot more difficult than most of the stuff that is taught in MAGIC. Genii's tricks are the real stuff - e.g. the tricks taught use the best methods to create the most magical illusion, and the skill level required is often at a very high level. MAGIC's tricks are often at a lower skill level, but the tricks taught are still very effective and commercial.

Personally, I prefer Genii because of the review section. I am not able to use as many of the Genii tricks as the tricks that are published in MAGIC, but that is a statement of my current skill level. The tricks I ultimately want to be able to perform show up more often in Genii than in MAGIC, and I am perfectly happy to practice a lot in order to perform the miracles that appear in the Magicana section of Genii.
Andy
JoeFreedom
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of JoeFreedom
You will not go wrong with any of the major magazines. Genii, though, does occasionally throw in a free bonus DVD. A little extra icing...
JoeFreedom

Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Magic magazine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL