The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Google's new program (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
373 Posts

Profile of Bill
Has anyone downloaded the program from http://earth.google.com?
It's a program that you can get and type in any address. It will then show you the earth from a distance and start zooming in until it gets to your address. If you have a scroll mouse you can zoom in even further. There are controls at the bottom of the page that lets you circle around your house, kinda like being in a helicopter. There is also a tilt that lets you fly up the street at about 30 or 40 feet. It's really pretty nifty. Be aware though that you need a pretty new computer. My neighbor has an older one and it was too slow to enjoy. Have fun!
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
You don't need to download anything. Just go the the google site and type in the address, city, and state and you'll get the map and satellite shot. You need to be aware that not all cities are visible (e.g. Ventura, CA) and Alaska looks terrible as the angle to the earth approaches a tangent from the camera's perspective. Otherthan those two concerns, it's great!
Coram Deo
blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
Hey I just got this. It's awsome. they have citys that are only a half mile long.
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
The pictures are old though.. the satelite as been getting pictures before the oprogram cam out... about6 months ago
blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
There not too old...my mom's new house is on it and it was just built this year.
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
Oh yha like no big changes but don't expect to go outside and see urself on sat. imaging lol
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
This was Keyhole2 and Keyhole(1) before google bought it... old news, but now that it is free many are finding it again.

Most of the photo's range from 2001-Present(highly populated area's are updated more often).

However if you check out las vegas, Wynn hasn't been built(or even started) so that is about 2 years old or more, while other area's are within last couple months.

Finally, some states and regions can pay for sat. scanning which are then offered for free... I believe Ohio, and I think something like new jersey or some other states have their entire state in high-res....

Great program, good find!
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
It's great fun, but frustrating that so few cities outside the US are there in high resolution. Mostly only capitals, and not all of them.
Jolyon Jenkins
DoomPenguin
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of DoomPenguin
Awesome program, but it only works on Windows 2000 and XP. I found this out when I tried installing it on my computer. Luckily, there's two other computers in my house with XP.

I reccomend checking out the Grand Canyon, with 3d terrain turned on.
A broken clock tells the right time twice a day.
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
Yeah--my old van is in the driveway and also, very green countryside is not sharp at all. I tried to find some addresses of my friends in France and you can't see anything!!!

Ellen
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I went to the site and did was not able to find any place where you can type in an address. Where is that at on the site?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
373 Posts

Profile of Bill
Daff;

You have to download the program and install it. Then you can enter the address. Just be sure you have a fairly quick PC or it's no fun.
amakar
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of amakar
Wow. This thing is great
20Robert04
View Profile
Regular user
Midland, MI
152 Posts

Profile of 20Robert04
I love it, though I wish my part of the state was a little more clear. Though from that far above it does make corn feilds look pretty.

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Google's new program (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL