The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » What are your favorite effects from David Regal's "Premise, Power, and Participation" DVDs? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
I just recently purchased this DVD series and so far it has been very entertaining. There seem to be many routines I'd like to learn but I'm having a hard time narrowing my top choices for effects. They are all very good. Therefore, I'd like to ask magicians here on the Café the following question...

What are your favorite effects from this DVD series?

Kind regards,
Rich
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Anyone do David's coins through table?

"Coins Through the Table (from Constant Fooling) - Stand-up versions of this plot are few and far between . . . and this one is a killer".
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
479 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
Volume 4
The Very Last Card (from Constant Fooling) - A card-elimination routine that utilizes test conditions to create a devastating outcome. This will bother folks....

allen
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I've seen Craig and David get very excited/passionate about a trick or DVD, but they were gobsmacked in their review of this set. David Penn is known to HATE the Oil and Water plot. He LOVED David's version, Perfectly Oiled. David said he was never so fooled watching a magic DVD.

At 8:16 is their review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkjNNUCfUD8

This set wan't just tricks, but David had a theme:
"This set attempts not only to explain how the tricks work, but also offer a way of looking at performance that can increase the impact of all the magic you do".

Two performances from vol. 1:

David's Chop Cup routine, "My Best Friend":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl_MAXjbSPQ

David's Ambitious Card Routine, "Tenacious Climber"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH0SUHT1qsI

Volume One
PREMISE
Look at Me, I'm Special (unpublished) - A four-Ace production that leads to an ultra-clean moment of magic.
Carried Away (from Constant Fooling) - An any-deck, any time incredible transportation.
Eight Ball (from Constant Fooling) - Ink slides off a playing card and forms itself into an eight ball!
Tenacious Climber (from Constant Fooling) - This entertaining approach to the Ambitious Card plot leads to a climax that will fool all.
Coins Through the Table (from Constant Fooling) - Stand-up versions of this plot are few and far between . . . and this one is a killer.
Exhibit "A" (from Penumbra) - A stunning handling of Hamman's Signed Card plot. Magic just seems to happen.
Sum of the Parts (from Constant Fooling) - A spectator shuffles a deck and selects a card, then a demonstration of playing card mathematics (and visual changes) ensues in which cards "add up," finally totaling the selection!
Shred of Proof (from Constant Fooling) - An eerie revelation with dozens of applications.
My Best Friend (from Close-Up & Personal) - A chop cup routine with a difference . . . in the form of a small mouse.
Chink-A-Drink (from Constant Fooling) - The classic assembly with a logical kicker.

Volume Two
POWER

Isolated Force (from Close-Up & Personal) - A unique and convincing force of a card in which the back of the card is never seen.
Half & Half (from Star Quality) - A signed card changes color in an atypical fashion.
Perfectly Oiled (from Star Quality)- A very clear Oil & Water effect that builds to a no-moves climax.
Face It, You've Changed (from Constant Fooling) - A spectator selects a card, examines it and signs it. Its back changes color . . . in spite of the fact that the magician never touches the card.
An Incredible Journey (from Star Quality) - A signed card invisibly travels into a card box that has been placed inside the magician's jacket pocket.
Not Quite Dead / Haunted Pack (unpublished) - A demonstration of supernatural forces that uses a classic method in a novel way.
A Magic Lesson (from Constant Fooling) - A tongue-in-cheek explanation of Card to Pocket leads to an inexplicable magical climax involving a spectator's signature.
Holding On (from Star Quality & Constant Fooling) - A playing card is signed. The magician stands and reaches under the table with an empty hand. When he presses on the deck, the selection passes through the table.
Prophecy Pack (dealer item, details of construction explained) - This is the incredible hands-off prediction effect Regal used to fool all and sundry when he moved to the West Coast.
Penny for Your Thoughts (from Close-Up & Personal) - A glass of pennies is examined-the dates are different. The spectator selects a penny while the performer's back is turned, yet the performer tells him the date.
Fill in the Blank Transpo (from Constant Fooling) - One of Regal's current signature pieces-a clear and spotlessly clean transposition of two playing cards.

Volume Three
PARTICIPATION

Lucky Seven (from Constant Fooling) - An incredible self-working prediction effect, presented complete with Regal's latest touches.
Control Yourself (from Constant Fooling) - A shuffled-deck impossibility. Two spectators are given the ability to find their own selections.
Clandestine Collectors (from Close-Up & Personal) - A handling of the collector's theme with some uniquely sneaky elements.
Not This (from Constant Fooling) - Anytime, anywhere impromptu mentalism. All you need is paper and a pencil.
Coincidence Deck (from Constant Fooling) - A display of amazing sympathy that can involve everyone in the room.
A Simple Woodcutter (unpublished) - Spectators shuffle the deck, yet the top card matches the magician's prediction . . . which is carved into a plank of wood.
Off-Color Thought (from Constant Fooling) - A visually perfect switch with myriad applications.
Mystic Poker (from Close-Up & Personal) - A new plot. The spectator draws any card that can be found in a royal flush onto a blank card . . . then the magician magically prints the other cards needed to fill out the hand!
Mucilaginous Monte (from Constant Fooling) - A monte with sequences that will slay.

Volume Four
REGAL STANDS ERECT
The Stand-Up Magic of David Regal

Journey to Love (from Constant Fooling) - This impossible prediction injects comedy and audience by-play into Don Wayne's "Room Service" plot (based on a wonderful Larry Becker method).
Swindle Transpo (from Close-Up & Personal) - Subtlety is layered upon subtlety in a playing card transposition that can play on the largest stage.
Got a Light? (from Close-Up & Personal) - Two matchboxes are examined, then proceed to perform an incredible series of animations. A combination of the "Sympathetic Matchboxes" and "Acrobatic Matchbox" plots. Perfect for walk-around.
The Very Last Card (from Constant Fooling) - A card-elimination routine that utilizes test conditions to create a devastating outcome. This will bother people.
Bonus Routine:
After Hours (from Constant Fooling) - Regal's contribution to the full-deck story genre, this is distilled entertainment guaranteed to generate applause.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
A few I really like and there are many on this set are:
- Fill in the Blank Transpo
- Journey to Love
- Shred of Proof
- Tenacious Climber
- Prophecy Pack
- Swindle Transpo
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
I don't remember the the name but my the one with the photo of Billy McComb as the climas.. that's one of my favorites
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2012, Zombie Magic wrote:
Prophecy Pack (dealer item, details of construction explained) - This is the incredible hands-off prediction effect Regal used to fool all and sundry when he moved to the West Coast.

How easy/difficult is Prophecy Pack to perform, in terms of the kinds of sleights and moves required?

And is there any connection between this trick and his "Card At Any Number" routine which he teaches in his book Approaching Magic (p.203)?
Timmy_TMD
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Timmy_TMD
This INCREDIBLE set has just been re-released by Murphy's Magic completely remasterized... and for LESS than $10 per video (well, 2 cents less, but it's still less...)

Anyway those who didn't get them the first time released by L&L can now enjoy all of David's miracles as an instant download:

https://amagicduck.com/products/premise-......-vol-set

But it's not just about "tricks". This is a set that REALLY goes into the scripting side of the effects as well (and who better than David Regal, a professional screenwriter himself?).
Have you checked The 52 Weeks Project? - FREE books for a year!
https://amagicduck.com/pages/52-weeks-project

The Magic Duck Store
https://www.amagicduck.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » What are your favorite effects from David Regal's "Premise, Power, and Participation" DVDs? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL