The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2005 entrée: Richard Osterlind » » Whither Mentalism? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Boy, have I been looking forward to this week!! I'll try desperately to keep my blathering to a minimum, because I want you to finish your new book.

So...getting all the questions outta the way as soon as possible...

a. Why mentalism? How is it you chose this as your specialty?

b. You blend mentalism, magic, and hypnosis in your act. With the trend of segregating magic and mentalism, what is your subtext for using these diametric "powers" -- or are they so diametric?

c. I'd ask you where you feel mentalism and magic are going, but I think your upcoming book covers exactly these topics. Would you tell us a bit about your book?

*jeep!
--Chet (I don't know why I'm hollaring for more DVDs and books, since I haven't put the ones I have to complete use yet.)
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Chet,

So good to hear from you! Don't worry about my book. I need a rest and this week is devoted to the Café.

For your questions:

a. My personality seems to be suited for mentalism. I always loved watching the Amazing Kreskin and thought I could handle that type of act. Frankly, whenever I see Copperfield, I wish I could do what he does, but I don't have his looks, his style or anything else necessary to pull off that kind of show! (But I sure wish I did.)

b. I like to think of what I do as creating mystery. I don't really care what category those effects come from as long as they create the same level of wonder and excitement. The only "power" I ever claim is the ability to create the above mentioned "mysteries." I think it is far more mysteries to be able to do the impossible within the same confines as the rest of the world instead of having special powers. Frankly, if you have powers, there is no mystery. You have powers!

c. My new book is just an attempt to take a look at the art of mystery, to try to define it and understand what it should be. It does contain ethical questions and will probably be a bit controversial. (Can you imagine me being that???)

Thanks again, Chet.

Richard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2005 entrée: Richard Osterlind » » Whither Mentalism? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL