The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Fear, guilt and stress... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
641 Posts

Profile of Sensio
Can you remember one of the first tricks you ever did?

I remember mine - it was a "do as I do" trick. I wonder why this trick was the most enjoyable to me from all tricks I have done ever since...
What I realised is:

1) I didn't have any fear of being cought partially because I didn't care (I wasnt labelled as the "magician" so it wouldnt harm my title!...) and partially because I thought that they shouldnt catch me since the trick was so smart and impressive.

2) I didn't have any guilt not of fooling others but the guilt we hobbyist magicians have that we spend so much time to this "useless" and "easy" and "senseless" hobby. Yes, I think I have now that guilt that I should better read any scientific book, invest more time in my job and my customers or maybe play violin or even soccer... Magic in the eyes of 99,9% of laypeople is something you shouldnt spend more than 1 minute a day and not take that seriously (books, dvds on magic? oh man, you spend money on these???...). So, in essence, at that time I didn't feel any guilt because I needed only to spend $5 to buy the trick online and 5 minutes to watch and learn it....

3) I didn't have any stress at all because I didn't rehearse anything, I didn't have any plans and I wasnt taking it that seriously either... I was so natural that once forgot to do the key move and I said "oh I am sorry, I forgot something.." and I did it from scratch!!!...

It was the MOST ENJOYABLE, FRESH and REAL performance I ever did and I am sure that the audience found it very enjoying too. Of course, I was missing many improvements that I have added since then BUT the style and energy I had was the best I ever had...

So, these days I am trying to replicate this state of mind and find out how this fear, guilt and stress may get out of the picture making that lovely innocenece, relaxed manner and joy take their place instead....

Just my thoughts.....

Rgds,
aware
Pekka
View Profile
Special user
Finland
560 Posts

Profile of Pekka
I like fear, stress and guild...it gives me the rush. What could be better than palm a card right in front of their eyes? Really, I love it!
NealCoffey
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
28 Posts

Profile of NealCoffey
Quote:
On 2005-07-13 08:10, Pekka wrote:
I like fear, stress and guild...it gives me the rush. What could be better than palm a card right in front of their eyes? Really, I love it!

I have to agree. I watched a friend to that a few days ago. He had shown off a couple of effects, and while out little group was talking, he brought the 3 of Clubs to the face of the deck and palmed the 2. Then he went to show how one could "pull off" the middle pip of the three. Literally palmed it right under their noses. That must've been a great feeling.
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
641 Posts

Profile of Sensio
Quote:

I totally agree with your point but you speak about taking risks and these are not necessarily connected with fear, guilt and stress.

What I am saying is that we (at least I...) should try to take out of the picture any fear, guilt and stress - in this way we will enjoy more what we do, the audience will have a better time and possibly a better magical impression and we will definetely be able to take more risks.

So, to comment on your point, I believe that in order to take any risks you must first fight fear-guilt-stress....

Rgds,
aware
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:

Once upon a time, someone told me they knew what I was doing, that I could palm cards without bending them and put them back on the deck secretly. I understood what she meant, yet had not used that mechanics in any effect performed to that point. What did it do? I said "thanks" and then did two effects using the Tabled Palm. Both where the thing is used as a visible change followed by a replacement onto part of the pack. To say clueless and stunned would be about right, if understated, regarding her reaction. I was expecting her to nail the palms. Nope.

To be blunt, I'm not so interested in the sleights or mechanics in performance since there is an audience there looking for some entertainment.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
caseman
View Profile
New user
Greensboro, NC
56 Posts

Profile of caseman
Professionals in magic should never underestimate a layperson's intelligence, nor overestimate their interest. It's about balance.
"Don't forget the ACES"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Fear, guilt and stress... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL