The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » A Gathering of Female Magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Beth
View Profile
Loyal user
Missouri
277 Posts

Profile of Beth
I thought about posting this in the lecture/convention forum but since this is more a gathering of like minds I thought I would post it here also. There is a new Female Magicians group coming together. If you are a female magician ready to perform professionally this looks like a great opportunity. It is a lot of things. Personally I think its a great way to see how many of us there are out there, but mostly so that a new show can be created. To be considered for the television show you have to join the group and send a video.It is a members only site so you have to apply to get in, but I joined and I can tell you it's fairly painless Smile You can learn about the whole thing by going to my web site and reading this post by Arian Black Best of Luck
Beth
"All creative art is magic, is evocation of the unseen in forms persuasive,enlightening, familar, and surprising."
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Women are no less the professional than you and I...and should receive the same respect and professional courtesy that we reserve for the Dai Vernons and Roy Horns. I'm addressing the 500 young (and not so young) male magi who will look upon this new group as a purient hunting ground rather than as the qualified training field for tomorrow's stars of magic.

I've met and watched some incredible female magicians...and I truely believe that the great ones will soon be a dominant force in the art and through the media. It's just a matter of time and effort by performers like Chrystal, Trixie Bond and Beth. I've often wondered why the "softer" side of magic has been traditionally relegated to the roles of "box-jumping" assistant and "eye candy".

Best wishes on your venture, Beth. Bring us the female Copperfields and Blaines!

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-07-15 10:41, Skip Way wrote:
.....by performers like Chrystal, Trixie Bond and Beth.
Actually, you did forget the one and only Lisa Menna!
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
For some reason, I still detect the scent of sexism in the air here.

Are male attendees welcome?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-07-15 11:30, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Why (should they)? Smile

Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
Actually, you did forget the one and only Lisa Menna!

Sure! Also, Lyn Dillies, Mandy Davis, Jade, Charlotte Pendragon, Safire, Becky Blaney, Jania, Jenny Alexander, Karen Beriss, Julie Eng, Dorothy Dietrich, Maria Gara, Cherie Kay, Diane Laren, Maitress...and a whole slew of others. I was trying for a bit of brevity...which is SO unlike me!

:o) Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Forget it.. Smile
Just don't forget Lisa Menna Smile
Just the way she walks is pure magic...

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-07-15 11:39, Werner G. Seitz wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-07-15 11:30, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Why (should they)? Smile

Our country has an unfortunate history of segregation, discrimination and very awkward (and sometimes laughable) language used to defend such practices to this day. Should women in magic be treated as separate but equal?

From my perspective there are already plenty of gender issues in magic as it stands today. Add the truly more recent issues of trans and cross gendered personalities and we will start having conventions for black magicians only featuring talent consisting of cross dressing bisexuals only. Rather than see the community fragment into special interests, I'd prefer to see folks offer events with special interest focus and let those who choose to, attend.

PS I suspect most entertainers have learned how to handle unwanted sexual advances. A few (very few likely) idiots looking to be both rejected and insulted are probably easy to deflect.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

What I ment was the following...
Men are neither allowed to enter the ladies room, so why should they not have the previledge to have a convention of their own.
When they are giving 'any' public performance, this of course is for each and everybody, even 'men' Smile

Beth
View Profile
Loyal user
Missouri
277 Posts

Profile of Beth
I think there is some misunderstanding this is not a women in magic convention. Its primarily a producer who wants to do a television show called Divas of Magic. They are looking for talent for the show. You have to be a woman to be in the Divas of Magic. Yeah everyone is getting together in the group but that is more a side occurance.
Peace Beth
"All creative art is magic, is evocation of the unseen in forms persuasive,enlightening, familar, and surprising."
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
What is this obsession with converting the world into one huge homogenous group of clones? Each person is unique. Each unique person seeks out other unique persons who happen to appreciate or enjoy a common interest, perspective or facet of life. When enough people come together with such a common link, you have a clatch, clique, club or community. So, female magicians come together to share an interest in magic from a feminine perspective. This is wrong? This is going to rend the very fabric that binds all magic enthusiasts and practitioners together? Subscription to the belief that all persons are created equal does not imply or require that all persons remain equal.

Skip

evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Skip, you are a true humanist! We are only talking about a television show about women in magic and not a rally or protest. I remember reading a post here (or elsewhere) that there's no such thing as a melting pot in our society. It's more like a beautiful bowl of salsa where every ingredients show in each of its vibrant color and dominant taste. Let's embrace each other and look forward to a equal and just magicial soceity for all.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Hey Beth,
I'm glad they cleaned this thread up from this mornings read. Glad to see you posting. I hope the television show is a hit. I hope to see 629 above as a featured performer, keep on her. To be honest I have some real reservations about the Chris Angel series about to be launched - but that may just be my age showing. Nice to see your picture, I notice it is listed as a Halloween jpeg - heck, you ain't so scary! Smile

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
I've very supportive of a venture like this and I wish all the participants best wishes.

Chrystal
Beth
View Profile
Loyal user
Missouri
277 Posts

Profile of Beth
Thanks Frank...there's a funny story that goes with that pic...Last Halloween I did magic for my college Halloween party. I did bizarre sort of magic... well it was Halloween haha. A professor of mine was there as a chaperone and he asked me to do magic at his and his wife's Halloween party. So cool, I get there, it's a totally different audience than the college group...a lot of professors, older ppl ect... that should have been my first clue right? ...well about the time I do an effect where I pretend to behead my dove...his wife has an apocalyptic fit...takes me into the back yard...reads me the riot act and accuses me of desecrating a "symbol of the Lord Jesus Christ" ...yikes...well I have to totally change my act ..spur of the moment if you can imagine ...gulp... and end up only getting half my fee...sooo the fact that I am smiling in that pic after my worst night in magic ...well let's just say that pic is a great reminder of what not to do in magic haha
Keep a smilin Smile
Quote:
On 2005-07-15 20:31, Chrystal wrote:
I've very supportive of a venture like this and I wish all the participants best wishes.

Chrystal

Me too Chrystal. I think it's going to be a great opportunity and a great show. Smile BTW Evolve629 are you going to try out? Frank is right you should. Besides if we don't get in we will still have met a great group of ladies Smile
Peace Beth
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1135 Posts

Profile of magicusb
Any thing new on this project?

The Columbia Encyclopedia picked the 8 most noted magicians of the late 20th century and included... Siegfried and Roy... Melinda... Doug Henning... Harry Blackstone, Jr., David Copperfield..... and Dorothy Dietrich.

The Columbia Encyclopedia
The Columbia University Press

My guess they picked for innovation or impact that makes a difference.

Dick Brooks
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Quote:
On 2005-07-15 16:11, Skip Way wrote:
What is this obsession with converting the world into one huge homogenous group of clones? Each person is unique. Each unique person seeks out other unique persons who happen to appreciate or enjoy a common interest, perspective or facet of life. When enough people come together with such a common link, you have a clatch, clique, club or community. So, female magicians come together to share an interest in magic from a feminine perspective. This is wrong? This is going to rend the very fabric that binds all magic enthusiasts and practitioners together? Subscription to the belief that all persons are created equal does not imply or require that all persons remain equal.

Skip

Skip - I agree with you, however, too many people DEMAND Equality "except when..." Not acceptable.

PS. I don't think this is the case with this group at all. I think it's a great idea. All clubs are exclusive to a degree. My comments above are general.
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2006-09-12 08:50, MAKMagic wrote:

Skip - I agree with you, however, too many people DEMAND Equality "except when..." Not acceptable.

PS. I don't think this is the case with this group at all. I think it's a great idea. All clubs are exclusive to a degree. My comments above are general.

Unfortunately you are right on target.

According to Business Week (9/4/2006 page 24) WalMart fired Andrew Young (their chairman on advocacy and right-hand man to Martin Luther King, Jr.) for public racist remarks!

In an interview with the Los Angeles Sentinel (August 17th) he stated that Jewish, Korean, and Arab store owners had ripped off poor black communities.

Sincerity is printers' ink deep!

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » A Gathering of Female Magicians (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL