The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2005 entrée: Richard Osterlind » » Mr Osterlind to blame... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicmike221
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
612 Posts

Profile of Magicmike221
Hi Richard, I am holding you personally responsible!…..For a number of years I have been performing close up in typical walkround situations, private functions…. Birthdays Corporate, Restaurant etc & thoroughly enjoying doing so. But over the past 6 months or so I find that I am blending Mentalism with the close up work, nothing to fancy or elaborate just the basics, PCT, swami, ESP prediction (challenge magic) Routines with the BCS, etc & I have to say that you are to blame. Ever since I watched Mind Mysteries (quite a few times) I was hooked! Likewise with ETMMM (cant wait for the new one)! These DVDS were my introduction to the world of Mentalism & what a facinating world it is.
As renowned names from the past, Dunninger, Annemann, Corinda Inspired a Generation of performers YOU are now inspiring a generation of Working professionals as well as hobbyists. I have only read 4 or 5 of the posts (will read them all later) but in one of them you mentioned that you think you adopt the right “style” for mentalism….couldn’t agree more I think your style fits mentalism perfectly…. cool, calm n casual.
Keep up the good work, Regards Mike.
P.S. I would be gratefull if you could check out my site sometime as I'm thinking of incorporating Mentalism into the site i.e Forgetting the text which I may change to focus on mentalism, Do you think the photos are sufficient enough for mentalism or do they all smack of Close up? I am hoping to give the impression of both.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Mike,

Thank you so much for you condemnation!!! Smile You know what I mean!

Send me your website and I will be happy to go and check it out and try to advise you on it.

Regards,
Richard
Magicmike221
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
612 Posts

Profile of Magicmike221
Hello again Richard its http://www.mikesmagic.co.uk
Regards Mike.
smitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Picton, Ontario
358 Posts

Profile of smitty
Hello Mike: While this post is directed toward you, it is also for Richard, as I read your post, and couldn't agree more with the 'influence' Richard has had on my own life to. I used to be CRAZY about Close Up magic, especially Coin Magic. NOW, since spending HOURS AND HOURS watching Mind Mysteries, and just the past few days, ETMMM, I am TOTALLY HOOKED on Mentalism. What I think I personally like most about this is the 'simplicity' of props you need; the simplicity of routining to achieve MIRACLES, and the fact you can REALLY focus on Entertainment, and not have to worry about messing up some sleight of hand thing.

I also agree Mike that Richard is certainly 'paving the way' for a whole new generation of Mentalists, whether pro or amateur. I am a NEWBIE to this field, and getting so excited and addicted, I'm losing sleep. But, I don't mind.

BTW Mike, love your website. I'm still working on one.

Kind Regards

R J
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Mike,

I went to your website and it looks real good, but it certainly is the site of a close-up card worker. I checked out all the photos and although there are some that do not show cards, there are none that show anything related to mentalism.

Perhaps a seperate page for the mentalism might be in order. I don't know the direction you want to go in, that is seperate shows for each kind of magic, or one show featuring both, so I cannot really advise further.

Good luck with this.

Richard
B&B Magic
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of B&B Magic
I also blame Richard for the loss of income spent purchasing effects, books and videos...and the subsequent gross increase in bookings, shows and reputation!

Thanks, Richard. You've helped me shed off the old "actor playing the part of a magician" and become a "magician sharing his magic with others".

Brandon
BonzoTheClown
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of BonzoTheClown
Brandon, you should be able to get a tax deduction for most of your purchases if you are are making an income from performing.

Marc Climens
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Good point, Marc. Save those receipts!
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Let me share with you a real bit of serious advice that was given to me years ago.

If you do magic for a living you know what it is to be self employed and all the taxes that go with that. Smile If you are not really great about record keeping, just get a huge box and throw every - yes EVERY receipt you get for anything in it! At tax time you can dump it out and sort through it for what you need. See, you may not think a certain type of receipt is important until you go to your tax guy and he tells you that they changed the laws and now you need this or that! Or maybe you didn't think to figure in gas mileage everytime you drove to the store to get something for your show, or whatever.

Richard
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
That's what I need. A big box.
I like that idea.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2005 entrée: Richard Osterlind » » Mr Osterlind to blame... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL